PDA

View Full Version : Need Quality Tap 1/2" NPT, Thermometer Install

Faston
04-28-2013, 08:14 PM
I need a high quality NPT 1/2"-14 TPI tap to cut new threads in two locations on 1/4" plate. I want the holes threaded so I screw in a pipe plug later if desired. I already have a Harbor Freight tap that can barely chase threads let alone cut new threads. I should have known better...

Suggestions for a reasonably priced quality tap greatly would be greatly appreciated. High speed steel would be very nice. :)

martyleach
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Sorry, but I wish I could recommend one to you. I have broken every tap I have bought. They work about one time and then break...

IamMadMan
04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
I need a high quality NPT 1/2"-14 TPI tap to cut new threads in two locations on 1/4" plate. I want the holes threaded so I screw in a pipe plug later if desired. I already have a Harbor Freight tap that can barely chase threads let alone cut new threads. I should have known better...

Suggestions for a reasonably priced quality tap greatly would be greatly appreciated. High speed steel would be very nice. :)

If you have a plumber or machinist as a friend ask to borrow thiers, otherwise check the tool department at Home Depot.

Yellowhair42
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Any tap not from Horrible Fright is good.You get what you pay for.Make sure to use the right size drill and plenty of lube.

alane
04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
The other options is to drill a hole and weld a half coupling on instead.

Faston
04-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately I don't know anyone locally that might have a good tap I could borrow. I'll check out the local stores and see what I might find. One thing about buying from Home Depot is that they will take it back if it doesn't cut. I'll just have to be be patient to get it right.

In the mean time I'll use my cheap grate thermometers.

First attempt at pulled pork tomorrow!!

BigBellyBBQ
04-29-2013, 02:42 AM
MSC, Enco, ManHatten Tool Suypply or McMaster Carr is where I buy the majority of shop supplies, or if need right away, a contractors supply house that sells over the counter will have a quaility tap. Use the recomended tapping fluid for what you are doing, if ordering from above, get kool tool or tap magic...they both work great..

Fishhook
04-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Only try to cut about 1/4 turn each time before you back the tap and clear the chips. Use plenty of oil, your taps should last for yrs. Also be sure to start with the proper size hole. Auto parts stores usually have some taps on hand..

dadsr4
04-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Only try to cut about 1/4 turn each time before you back the tap and clear the chips. Use plenty of oil, your taps should last for yrs. Also be sure to start with the proper size hole. Auto parts stores usually have some taps on hand..
This. I have taps that have lasted for over a decade - non-professional use.

markdtn
04-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Try a good auto parts store like NAPA. Also WW Grainger or a good local hardware or plumbing store. We are not talking a lot of money for a quality piece. Harbor Freight is not the best place to buy stuff that you expect precision and longevity.

jonboy
04-29-2013, 07:49 AM
The other options is to drill a hole and weld a half coupling on

This sounds like a good option, esp if you are installing more than one thermometer.
jon

jestridge
04-29-2013, 08:02 AM
best option is above, that the only way

J-Rod
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM

This!^^^ So often they are used incorrectly. Not saying the OP was, but good you brought it up. And the smaller the tap, the slower, gentler you're approach must be. To quote Gordon Ramsay, "Make love to it, don't fark it!"

Will work for bbq
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Pipe taps are pricey, if you can weld consider a 12555K83 tank flange. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tank-flanges/=mj5vcp

el_matt
04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I have my buddys Snap-On tap and die set on permanent loan. Best taps and dies I've used.

Matt

PaPaQ
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Another option is the "Tel-Tru Smoker Thermometer Installation Kit".

Brother Matt
04-29-2013, 11:54 AM
If you have a good local hardware store you should be able to find one. I find that buying the right numbered drill bit for the tap is the most important step. Buy them as a set and keep them together. Oh, it looks like there isn't a numbered bit for that size, still, make sure the bit is the recommended size. Look here....

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/US-Tap-Drill-Size.aspx

bluetang
04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
You should be able to get a Hanson tap at Ace Hardware for about $18.

Faston
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Most definitely a good tip. When I chased the factory thread with the HF tap lubricated I could only get around 1/16 turn before backing it out. If I had gone farther I am sure I would have snapped it.

Faston
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Pipe taps are pricey, if you can weld consider a 12555K83 tank flange. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tank-flanges/=mj5vcp

Nice idea & I do have a stick AC welder but I don't trust my skills, I have only used it once to repair a cracked grate rail weld. It was an ugly experience but I did manage to secure the rail.

Faston
04-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Another option is the "Tel-Tru Smoker Thermometer Installation Kit".
Hadn't seen that, thanks!

Faston
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
You should be able to get a Hanson tap at Ace Hardware for about $18.

Thanks, I have heard of Hanson before but have never used one.

jeffjenkins1
04-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Remember, pipe threads are tapered and only go so far, they are not like bolt threads. Pipes tighten by the threads wedging the two tapers together. I think this is the main reason people break them off.

Turn 1/4 to 1/2 then turn back to break the curl stop when it gets tight.

Jeff

Cris
04-29-2013, 10:39 PM
If you have a good local hardware store you should be able to find one. I find that buying the right numbered drill bit for the tap is the most important step. Buy them as a set and keep them together. Oh, it looks like there isn't a numbered bit for that size, still, make sure the bit is the recommended size. Look here....

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/US-Tap-Drill-Size.aspx

You're looking at a chart for regular taps, not pipe taps.

http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20References/drillsizeforpipetaps.htm

Brother Matt
04-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for correcting that Cris, i just read Jeff's post and realized my mistake. Doh!

mbshop
04-30-2013, 01:13 AM
most home stores will have good ones. and yes, there is a way to do it and thats been explained. take care of them and they will take care of you. i still have my metric snap on set that i bought in '75 .
instead of sets, just buy what you need. sets always have taps that you never use.

NRA4Life
04-30-2013, 05:58 AM
I always weld on a couple 1/2" NPT fittings for my tel-tru thermometers to screw in to. They are cheap, cut one of these in half and you've got 2 of them - http://www.lowes.com/pd_22480-88808-70603_4294821999__?productId=3418958&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=