PDA

View Full Version : My First Post

Frosty
04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
So I have been reading on here for quite a while and have decided it is time to finally post. I live in Wisconsin and have been an addict for about 3 years now. The last year has gotten really bad ever since I built a UDS. I began cooking BBQ after my parents moved to Kansas City and I went to visit and got my first taste of real Q. I was hooked on the first bite. A rack of ribs at Arthur Bryant's.

I returned home only to find no BBQ joints in my area so I began trying to make my own. Started with a COS that leaked air all over. Never really got that thing figured out so I started making it on my Weber 22.5 kettle. Major improvement then. I then saw a Weber Smokey Mountain and thought to myself I could build something like that.

That's where I discovered the UDS. That paired with a couple good thermometers and I was beyond hooked. I then spent much of my time researching techniques. I have been beyond pleased with my Q for the last year. I have cooked in all weather. I spent a lot of time this winter shoveling a path to the drum.

Lately I have been cooking for larger groups and have been needing more capacity so I began searching for a larger UDS. Enter insulated gravity feed cabinets. I really like the Stumps Stretch but don't have $5000 to drop seeing as we had our first baby 4 months ago. I happen to have some welding and fabrication skills and have a buddy with far superior skills and a lot of equipment in his garage. I also have a buddy with a machine shop who can get all the steel I want at his discounted cost. So 1 week ago I picked up all my steel and I'm thinking we might have it done in the next couple weeks. I will try to post some pron for everyone's enjoyment.

Seems like a great group of people on here and I can't wait to continue to learn from all of you. Thanks for all your help so far.

Frosty
04-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Here's the frame of the Clone build. It is off getting sheet metal bent up for it. The charcoal chute/firebox were being welded up today.

Mark Warren
04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
To the Happy New Father - Welcome

I can't wait to see what you and your buddy's come up with.

Really looking forward to the PrOn of the build and the walk through it.

MisterChrister
04-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Congrats, welcome, and congrats! Let me know if you need help making sure the food is good off of your new rig!

Fishin4bass723
04-27-2013, 09:47 PM
I can't wait to see what you and your buddy's come up with.

Really looking forward to the PrOn of the build and the walk through it.

ME TO and once again Welcome to the Addiction!

Beef
04-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Welcome from East of you!

cowgirl
04-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Frosty! Looking forward to your posts!

Frosty
04-27-2013, 09:55 PM
I didn't realize there were so many people from WI on here. That's good to see. Thanks. I'm trying to get a handle on posting pics. As I figure it out I will be posting more and will eventually do a build thread.

Phillstone
04-27-2013, 10:55 PM
If your firing up your smoker in the snow holding a beer and its late April. You might be from Wisconsin!

martyleach
04-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Great first post! Brisky looks great and so does the start of the new build. Keep those pictures coming!

tinman
04-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Welcome!....nice looking brisket! I think every first post should include pictures!

Parruthead
04-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome from SHA WAN NO.... !

code3rrt
04-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, looks like you're off to a great start!

KC

Titch
04-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Cool looking build mate, great first post :thumb:

Frosty
04-28-2013, 02:00 AM
I believe I met Parruthead last year at RN3. You were the cook for the event if I'm not mistaken???

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

westy
04-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Cant wait to see the cooker. Welcome to the jungle....or was that the land of misfit toys?