PDA

View Full Version : Chimney in Kettle

motoeric
04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi,

How long can you maintain a reasonable amount of heat for grilling off of one charcoal chimney of standard kingsford briquettes?

How much charcoal do you usually put in your kettle if you are going to be cooking burgers/chicken/sausage sporadically over a couple of hours?

Thanks,

Eric

timzcardz
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Enough to start and add as I go.

Lots of variables. Size of kettle, how much is being cooked at once, over how many hours.

evilive69
04-23-2013, 01:25 PM
There are a couple of things to factor. Which chimney...generic or weber? How hot do you run the kettle?

I recently got a Weber chimney and it holds a lot more than the generic one you find at Lowes / Home Depot. If I'm cooking burgers or steaks I used to use an entire chimney, now I use just over half.

The hotter you cook the more you need for a longer cook. A rough estimate from my experience would be this (note...I use lump charcoal): 1 chimney for 1.5 hours at 350.

Mark Warren
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
I have the Weber Chimney - I removed the bottom and flipped it over so its a V - I put a Weber white starting block in the bottom and stand up a piece of kiln dried wood 1x2, 1x3, 1,4, 2x4, whatever you got lying around about 5" tall or so and fill my coal on both side of it. Starts in any wind/weather condition and full on blase in no time at all.
Then like everyone else said already the rest is variable.

Vision
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/01/review-original-vs-competition.html