PDA

View Full Version : The End is Near

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Burnt ends, that is, Compliments of Kansas City

Might need to make a day trip to KC on a flight ticket burning a hole in my pocket

http://www.extramsg.com/albums/album102/lcs12.sized.jpg

http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/kansascity/lcsburntendsdetail.jpg

http://members.aol.com/carl60035/lcburnt.jpg

http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/kansascity/fillingstationburntendsandwich.jpg

http://www.dallasfood.org/photos/kansascity/lcsburntends.jpg

Bigmista
02-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Ha Ha! I just ate breakfast! Didn't get me this time!!!

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Ha Ha! I just ate breakfast! Didn't get me this time!!!

Give it a few hours.

I'm adding side dishes.

bruno
02-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats just what I am having for lunch today.

Cuelio
02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Oh, you got me allright Farker! No breakfast this morning.

That not all burnt ends, is it?

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 11:22 AM
That not all burnt ends, is it?

Those are all "advertised" burnt ends. These are pics from Arthur Bryant's, LC's, and a few other KC places.

Its a staple on their menus, and you can see they sometimes have to "cheat" and add a little more than strictly the ends to serve that many platters in a day.

It's usually always cubed up like in the one picture, or so the article was written as such.

thillin
02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Could you score a point to increase surface area for more/better burnt ends?

Solidkick
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
That looks like "home cooking" to me......:wink:

brdbbq
02-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Will help your Avatar grow hair ?

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Could you score a point to increase surface area for more/better burnt ends?

I always wondered if you cut the brisket (flat and point) into about 5" long "slabs", if you would not end up with all burnt ends (knowing that you must do it very low at 210-215 and dont overcook)

ggeilman
02-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I had a great gyro sandwich for lunch at Mina and Dimi's near the base. Much better!

racer_81
02-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Liverwurst sandwich and red beans and rice.

Jason's Deli.

mmmMMMmmmm good!

thillin
02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Liverwurst sandwich ..

I'll eat that when..

brdbbq
02-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Give Ty the rice and Beans I will take the liverwurst. Damn Texan

BobberQer
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I'll eat that when..

There's some funny people round here olooolol

Ron_L
02-14-2006, 03:21 PM
I saw a show on Food Network last year about KC BBQ and they talks about burnt ends at Arthur Bryant. They actually cook briskets specifically for burnt ends since they couldn't keep up with the demand.

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 06:34 PM
I saw a show on Food Network last year about KC BBQ and they talks about burnt ends at Arthur Bryant. They actually cook briskets specifically for burnt ends since they couldn't keep up with the demand.

Yeah I saw that. Cubed, add sauce, then smoke longer.

I have a very good friend who lives in KC and he enlighted me even more today:

<snip>
Bill, let me round out your knowledge of the tasty cubes of heaven.

Burnt, this means heavily smoked, not burned.
Ends, this means point meat, not the actual end of anything.

Oklahoma Joes probably makes the best burnt ends in KC. This is their method. Whole packers are cooked until the flat is suitably done for slicing. Before they are sliced the points are removed which are still somewhat under cooked (good on internal temp most likely, but still VERY greasy from the extra fat and collagen in the point). Any exsisting bark and fat are trimmed off the point and it is re-rubbed (lightly) and returned to the cooker for 4-6 hours to allow the extra fat to render off and the bark to reform. The points are then chopped into cubes and served as burnt ends.

In the purest sense, nothing but brisket point is really a burnt end. But you will see at nearly every resturant that serves Burnt Ends, Brownies or Tips, offerings of pork, and ham along with the beef. These are cubes of whatever served in the same style as real BE's.

Lots of Q joints will cook points and flats separate (Fast Eddy does this at his place) and skip the trimming then resmoking step. Others will serve any cubed beef as a BE, flat, chuck etc.

A great burnt end that's been cooked enough not to taste greasy, will border on dry and will be best eaten with a little sauce. Most Q joints here will have a spicy and a sweet sauce on the table, I like a little of both puddled next to each other where I can get a little of each in the proportion that I want for that bite.

I've discovered when making BE's at home in sufficient quantity to have leftovers(rarely happens) that these extra smokey morsels are farking delicious cold. I can eat a big pile of them this way just like candy. The smoke is heavy, the finish is sweet and there just isn't any better Q when these are done right.
To be totally honest, when I order these out, I usually get beef and ham combo, just because I'm a ham junkie and the two go so well together.

Let me know if you're gonna take that trip, I've never eaten at OK Joes and would like to try it. And there are are a few other places that are pretty good too, one right here where I live.

Happy eating,
e2Q
<snip>

Now I'm gonna definitely try and pull an overnight stop to visit Mr. 2Q and taste the wares of his city

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Um, for the record, I would not mind at all if this thread became a technique thread specific to burnt ends. I like the suggestion about scoring a point, and still want to try slabbing a brisket to get 100% ends

tommykendall
02-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Still waitin' on the sides. I'm fixin' to take my OL out for some carne asada and al pastor tacos. All the nice restaurants are jam packed tonite.

Ron_L
02-14-2006, 06:46 PM
The last three briskets I've cooked have been whole, and I've taken the point and reseasoned it and stuck it back in the cooker for a couple of hours, and then chopped it for burnt ends. They came out great! A chunked flat could be cubed and made into something resembling burnt ends, but the texture would be different. Still good, but different.

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Still waitin' on the sides. I'm fixin' to take my OL out for some carne asada and al pastor tacos. All the nice restaurants are jam packed tonite.

Check back tomorrow for KC sides, I wanted this to stick to burnt ends.

Sorry TK, but I got plenty of Al Pastor posts left in the bag o tricks. Too late though. Picture logs are for before lunch. :shock:

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
The last three briskets I've cooked have been whole, and I've taken the point and reseasoned it and stuck it back in the cooker for a couple of hours, and then chopped it for burnt ends. They came out great! A chunked flat could be cubed and made into something resembling burnt ends, but the texture would be different. Still good, but different.

And where did you find these mystery whole packer briskets?

Dr. Evil can be my excuse to hit Sam's, although a trip to the confessional would follow (plus 1/8th trip)

RichardF
02-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Dr. Evil can be my excuse to hit Sam's, although a trip to the confessional would follow (plus 1/8th trip)

COSTCO has cryo'd packers, you just need to ask for them.

G$
02-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah I saw that. Cubed, add sauce, then smoke longer.

I have a very good friend who lives in KC and he enlighted me even more today:

<snip>

ROADMAP it.

tommykendall
02-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Not here they don't - cryovac'd flats I've found at Sam's - nothing whole.

Ron_L
02-14-2006, 08:40 PM

The Evil Empire in Dekalb... (i.e., Super Wally World)

Bill-Chicago
02-14-2006, 09:35 PM
The Evil Empire in Dekalb... (i.e., Super Wally World)

farkers are coming to Farnsworth and 88

Bigdog
02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I have had the burnt ends at L.C.'s in KC, MO and they are farking awesome. Most try the ones at OK Joe's for comparison.

Ron_L
02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
farkers are coming to Farnsworth and 88

Is it going to be a Super Wally? They built a new store less than a mile from my house, but its not a Super, so they don't have meat.

Bill-Chicago
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Is it going to be a Super Wally? They built a new store less than a mile from my house, but its not a Super, so they don't have meat.

Correction.

Shoulda said Super Farkers

And it might be Farnsworth and Butterfield, now that I read this. 88 is the outlet mall

Bill-Chicago
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM

I get only flats at my Costco, but I do like them.

They are in the 7 to 8# range, and consistently $2.39-$2.59# range (which is good for this area)

thillin
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
When they remove the bark from the point, is it discarded, or saved to mix in with the BEs? Trim just the bark, or 1/2 - 1 inch? Or is it mixed with chopped beef?

RichardF
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Not here they don't - cryovac'd flats I've found at Sam's - nothing whole.

You should check with the COSTCO in Signal Hill.