PDA

View Full Version : Tablets/Smartphones in BBQ?

GMDGeek
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Tablets/Smartphones in BBQ?

Been doing a bunch of reading and with my pit soon arriving in 23 days roughly (May 11th) I am really getting excited to start getting some practice in. By practice I mean big cooks involving the pit and the cook setup I am hoping to use at the competitions. Basically my pit (an Off-set by R&O Smokers), two 6’ lifetime tables, and a few other things.

One aspect will be electronics: Wireless Router, Stoker (NO fans/blowers, just temp probes – pit has an insulated firebox), Tablets, smartphones, and the app The BBQ Pit Pal.

Here are my reasons:

Tablets/Smartphones give me multiple alarm count downs that help keep things on schedule.
The Stoker Temp probes give me wireless monitoring and alerts to our Tablets / Phones. I know that learning your pit and learning to control it in different weather situations is important so I don’t look at the Stoker as replacing that but adding to my knowledge of my pits temps and meats temps while they cook.
The Stoker (I understand the Guru Digi2 will as well) allows me to record the cooks and I can track those.
The tablet, even without the Stoker, will allow me quick reference to my checklists and allow me to take notes (typed or spoken) on things that occur or come up during the event. Sure a notepad and a pen will do the same but sometimes with wind and everything that just is a bit tough to keep from getting lost or blown away.
Power for the Tablet / Smartphone / Wireless Router / Stoker (or Guru) is pretty easy to solve and doesn’t require a plug or generator.

I’m sure there are those that will say I’m complicating it with the gadgets and stuff. It’s just how I am though. I am a geek for a living and love keeping track of my cooks and records. I do it with Scuba so I know conditions and history and what do the next time. I do it with my photography as well. So yes I do understand that some will disagree. What I am curious about is how many others out there use a tablet, a smartphone, a stoker/guru, or any combination and how do you use them in your cooks.

Thanks,
Gerry

Bludawg
04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I guess nobody uses a #2 writing stick & paper anymore except for me:tsk:

Goddahavit
04-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I use paper as well, then i promptly loos it and scratch my head next time...

:tsk:

ButtBurner
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I guess nobody uses a #2 writing stick & paper anymore except for me:tsk:

I do

and I use my pocket knife to sharpen my pencil just like grandpa showed me when I was knee high

the kids I work with look at me funny when I am standing over the garbage can sharpening my pencil

flyingbassman5
04-18-2013, 05:36 PM
I use my Droid RAZR to take pics and upload via photo bucket mobile if that counts for anything.

I used BBQ Pit Pal app a few times but never really used the records for anything. I liked it, just wasn't my style and I didn't have a use for it.

I DO agree with you that they are great for setting alarms or count down timers. I've also used my phone a few times at comps to look up rules and regulations that if other wise printed, would've been lost in a pile of fire starter. Not to mention, having the world wide web at your thumb tips is a great way to pass the wee late hours of an overnight cook.

So just like any other BBQ "accessory" it has its place and uses but isn't needed to turn out good product.

popeye
04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Number 2 pencil and paper

Callahan-que
04-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I've got an Igrill and I used to use tapatalk on my iphone to access this forum.

Untraceable
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
I use the note app on my phone to keep track of injection recipes and timelines. Actually helpfull. I don't document every cook but when I'm trying to develop a process, it's great

Big Frank
04-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I have all my recipes on Pepperplate

dragon flame Q
04-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I use my tablet with my pits and i find it easeir to stay on track to reproduce cooks by following what i done in practices also besides the pit pal app i found anouther good app for Qing called recipe box. it allows me to put in all my recipes i have in it so i can look at my recipes any were any time