PDA

View Full Version : Hot(er) & Fast(er) Question - Butt?

dwfisk
04-18-2013, 08:18 AM
With bludawg and others tutoring, I've gotten very comfortable with 6-7 hour briskets. My son is throwing a HS graduation BBQ party (eats at 6:00 PM) in a couple weeks and wants brisket and pulled pork (along with some chicken & rib trimmings).

Questions:

1) will essentially the same brisket technique (300*-325* for 4 hrs, wrap in BP for a couple more hours until probe tender then rest/hold) work for pork butts?

2) should I wrap or just let them run until probe tender?

3) if wrap is the way to go, BP or foil?

Thanks in advance.

Lake Dogs
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Questions:

1) will essentially the same brisket technique (300*-325* for 4 hrs, wrap in BP for a couple more hours until probe tender then rest/hold) work for pork butts?

Yes, pretty much. I do mine at a little lower temps, but I cook them together... I use the lower temps (mid to upper 200's for me) because I found that the higher temps didnt seem to render the fat quite as completely (mind you, was my experience, yours may vary) as 50 degrees+- lower.

2) should I wrap or just let them run until probe tender?

If you like wrapping; wrap. If you dont; dont. There's personal preference, and person taste of the final product at hand. I do wrap, for color, to limit/govern smoke, and to keep the super moist, but I like them that way.

3) if wrap is the way to go, BP or foil?

I use foil, but BP will work great too.

Ron_L
04-18-2013, 08:29 AM
At that temp I wrap. The bark can get too dark very easily, so watch it.

Bludawg
04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
You can use the same method as with Brisket I don't wrap my Butts I get the pit to 300 toss it in and tend the fire average time to having to hold the bone in is about 50 min lb average> I warp in foil for the rest not the cook.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/PulledPork028-1.jpg (http://s968.photobucket.com/user/Bludawg51/media/PulledPork028-1.jpg.html)

dwfisk
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, now I got a plan!

landarc
04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
pretty much what Lake Dogs said. I use paper though.