PDA

View Full Version : Bandera 2nd heat deflector mod. Is there one?

Hawgsnheifers
02-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I did all the Bandera 101 stuff. I added the heat deflector between the firebox and the smoke chamber. I just got Spicewine's firebox mod. Gonna try that out next weekend.

My first cook on the Dera was last weekend, and after running a bunch of stuff through it, I figured out where the hot spots are. The biggest one is all the way up the left side, as your looking into the smoke chamber. The heat from the firebox hit's the shield, goes under the water pan and then goes right up the left side. I ended up burning some stuff that sat to close to the left side. Fattie had a burnt end, kinda like it got pinched off. Hee hee.

My Sunday cook went better as I had less to smoke and kept it all about 4 inches away from the left side. Times 4 shelves, I lost allot of real estate.

I was thinking about getting some steel from Ace hardware and placing an 8" wide by the depth of the smoke chamber along the left side, just above the water pan. I thought about drilling some holes in some sort of pattern in the sheet to allow the heat to disapate as it rises, hopefully defusing the hot spot, thus allowing me to get back the rack space and keep stuff from incenerating. (I bet I spelled that wrong. Can we get a spell checker in here please?)

Anybody out there have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? If there is a mod, is there any templates out there, like the one available for the firebox to smoke chamber mod in Bandera 101 I can get hold of?

Dazed and cornfused...

thillin
02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Your baffle might be too long, or not deflecting downward enough is my guess. Your mileage may vary.
Ty

Hawgsnheifers
02-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Hmmm. My PB never complained. I'll check it out.

Bill-Chicago
02-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Got an extra grate?

I order 6 extra (they are still available, but hurry.)

Wrap the left side of a grate with HD foil, no more than 1/4 of the left side of the grate.

Place on first slot above water pan.

Evened out my temps about 85%, and I use that close to the heat rack for when I want to high heat items at the end (chicken or turds or puppy peters, or what not)

Hawgsnheifers
02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Where do I order the extra grates?

Bill-Chicago
02-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Where do I order the extra grates?

Brethren Main Page

Go To File Section

Bandera Mods

Scroll down to "How to Order Replacement Grates"

I cannot post the link from work for some reason. If it doesnt work, let me know and we'll fix the link. I think its just me that is blocked

Neil
02-13-2006, 07:42 AM
(I bet I spelled that wrong. Can we get a spell checker in here please?)

Anybody out there have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?
Dazed and cornfused...

I just have Phil proof read all my posts!!!!!!