PDA

View Full Version : Lucille's BBQ

Bigmista
02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I went to Lucille's BBQ in Long Beach last night. Nice place. Very clean.

You know what I was expecting. Bad BBQ. Guess what I got. Free BBQ!

I asked for my meat to be served dry so I could taste it to see if they had a clue. The pulled pork was better than expected but the ribs were burnt on the membrane side. I found a piece of foil in the pulled pork so I told the waitress about it. They brought me a whole new plate and comped my meal. Very nice service. Ribs were still burnt.

Everything was better with the sauce though. The hot and spicy sauce was very good and improved all of the meat. The sweet potatoes were a little bland but the greens were great.

And a couple of glasses of Booker Noe's (http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/mb311504.html) helped make everything a little better...

Here's a few pics...

racer_81
02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
And a couple of glasses of Booker Noe's (http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/mb311504.html) helped make everything a little better...

Everything is better with bourbon from Kentucky....

MrSmoker
02-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I tried them last time i went to Newport Beach and never saw any wood except the little stack for show.I saw a gas line connected to the smoker and while we were there no wood was added.I looked in the smoker when one of the cooks was putting in some peppers and he couldn't answer any of my questions, he said was new. Didn't smell like BBQ outside either.I'm sure EPA codes effect there operations.I ordered dry also and thought it to be good compared to most chains.Probably would go back again.

thirdeye
02-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Seems like their times for the ribs is a tick short and the times for the tri-tip & chicken is way long. Or does the chalkboard mean somethin' else?

Bigmista
02-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I thought so too.

tommykendall
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Neil - did you go to the one on 2nd St. or Carson St?

Bigmista
02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Neil - did you go to the one on 2nd St. or Carson St?

Carson St. Why?

tommykendall
02-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Just wondering cuz the one on 2nd street is just around the corner from me. I've been there once - talked to their management about letting do a brisket for them to try out as a "special" one nite. They don't bave brisket on their menu. They were dicks.

icemn62
02-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I have been to both, and to be honest, figure that my ribs are better, and I can drink beer without worrying about getting a ticket on the drive home. Have you tried Johnny Ribs in Downy? I like their Q a little better, and they are not as "snooty acting" as Lucilles.

Brauma
02-12-2006, 12:31 PM
OOooo. The grilled corn and the mash taters looks good. Just the aroma from a place like that makes me feel all warm inside.

Sawdustguy
02-12-2006, 02:52 PM
OOooo. The grilled corn and the mash taters looks good. Just the aroma from a place like that makes me feel all warm inside.

Man, I couldn't agree more. Second only to the great flavors of BBQ are the aromas. I know it makes it hard to leave the resturant after we finish eating.

Bigmista
02-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Surprisingly, there weren't many smells. It was very...clean.

Arlin_MacRae
02-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Well that ain't right!

Bigmista
02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Not at all. But there was some blue coming out of the top of the smoker. It was getting sucked straight up thru a vent so there was no smell from that either.

MrSmoker
02-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Did you smell any BBQ outside before you came in? I have plumbed several new bakerys here and they have a exhaust fan in the kitchen that pumps the fresh bread smell into the eating area.Works for me:biggrin: I think a BBQ joint should smell like smoke.

Bigmista
02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Not a hint of smoke. Probably cause it's California and they need clean air and all of that.

grillfella
02-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Where is Johnny Q in Downey I am not far from there?

icemn62
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Johny Ribs?

http://www.johnnyrebs.com/JR_Main.html

It is on bellflower between the 91 and the 105 freeways.

I like the place, they are close enogh for a lunch run

Bigmista
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Johny Ribs?

http://www.johnnyrebs.com/JR_Main.html

It is on bellflower between the 91 and the 105 freeways.

I like the place, they are close enogh for a lunch run

I only went once and I had the catfish. Everything I had was good.

Norcoredneck
02-13-2007, 05:31 PM
They have a new Lucilles out in Rancho Cucomonga. It's always packed.
Neil have you ever tried a place in Chino called Joey's BBq? Was a family owned place and we have eaten there several times I liked it. Since has sold out to another family, have not tried to compare. Maybe if you can dawn that bucket getup we can meet you and the wife there someday.
http://www.joeysbbq.com/html/LinksMhist.htm

Bill-Chicago
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
They have a new Lucilles out in Rancho Cucomonga. It's always packed.

We use to have a plant in Pomona

Great mexican joints in the area. Had to drive through Rancho from Ontario airport.