PDA

View Full Version : bbq wood at academy

hogzillas
04-09-2013, 04:07 PM
For those that didn't know it & like the woods, Academy seems to now be selling Orange & Peach chips/chunks along w/ the std old stuff of hickory, pecan, oak, apple & cherry. I've been using peach for some time & it's now my go to wood so that's a good thing for me as I was getting low from buying out a place that was closing so I do plan on going & get all the peach they have in stock. Hopefully they're going to keep it stocked for a long time & not just a season.

I've never used orange but I'm thinking of doing some legs this weekend & use it. Any thoughts on Orange?

Murray in N.Z.
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Orange tree or any citrus are OK for fish so long as they are well seasoned and I use them all the time I also toss on a handful of green citrus leaves to put something slightly differentin the mix. On the other hand Osage Orange is a totally unknown to me.

Swine Spectator
04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I have orange trees in my backyard. I use the wood for grilling seafood and making paella, but that's about it. It is not a good smoking wood IMHO. I really like peach and LOVE fig when I can find it.

David

Cayman1
04-11-2013, 04:12 PM
On the other hand Osage Orange is a totally unknown to me.

Osage Orange is also known as hedge or hedge apple.

tish
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I've been using peach wood ever since Ronelle sent me some last year. It is amazing stuff, and now I grab it whenever I find some. Never used orange wood, but would definitely try it if I found a source. I have added a handful of dried orange peels to my lump on occasion. Gives a very nice certain sumthin' sumthin' to chicken, I've found.

cowgirl
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Hedge is one of my favorites. If cured properly it burns hot and long.