PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Guru Hole Placement in Kettle Grill

wimberly1951
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I have ordered a NanoQ. BBQ Guru recommends that the hole for the adapter to be drilled below the charcoal grate, but I saw somewhere that someone recommended putting it above the charcoal grate and below the cooking grate.

Any suggestions or advice based on your experience.

Thanks

BobM
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
On a WSM, the pit adapter would normally go through one of the holes on a vent wheel, which is located right above the charcoal grate.

On a Weber kettle, the intake vents are below the charcoal grate, that is where I would put the adapter.

Nut
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
In the past I've read this: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html#partyq

Where he suggests: On the Weber Kettle, the blower needs to go through a 1" hole that you drill in the grill. Their website and printed materials show it mounted at the bottom, below the charcoal grate, but that is on a Weber Smokey Mountain. I had problems with ash getting into the fan and with it blowing ash around down there. Since then I have drilled several holes in my old trusty 15 year old kettle testing locations (now I have an excuse to buy a new Weber Performer Kettle!), and, if your lid fits tightly, it can go pretty much anywhere between the cooking grate and the charcoal grate

So if I ever would get one (no matter which make) I would fit it between my cooking grate and charcoal grate.

wimberly1951
04-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks

CUErious
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM
BBQGuru is correct. You should place the blower below charcoal grate. It's important to allow the air to blow downwards and circulate around the bowl. I compete with two 22.5 Weber Kettles powered by a Cyber QII. I have not witnessed blowing ash. I've also gotten many top 5 calls, using this set up. I do use hardwood charcoal. I would stay away from usineg briquettes if you are concerned with blowing ash.

wimberly1951
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

dadsr4
04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Here is a link with it above the coal grate.
"How I Got At Least $2,000 Worth of Grill for $540"
http://us.gizmodo.com/5923283/how-i-got-at-least-2000-worth-of-grill-for-540