PDA

View Full Version : Uds seasoning

Bigbux58
04-06-2013, 02:19 PM
How long should you season a uds? I did it for 2.5 hrs at 250-275. Is that enough?

Bigbux58
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Season

Bigbux58
04-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Seasoning lubricant...

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Did you have anything on or in it but the fire? If not, cook a couple of fatties or a butt for your next cook.

Hey, those pictures weren't there when I answered. Well, smoke some fatties whether you need to or not. :mrgreen:

Budman1
04-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I did mine for 16+hours @ 250-300. Seasoned beautiful. I filled my basket full with lump, did the minion method and let it go. Part of the reason was to see where it would cruise at and to see how long it would last. That way when I did a 14-16 hr smoke, I know how much charcoal to use. Use the search bar at the bottom of the page or read the mother of all UDS threads. Good luck!

Budman1
04-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Hey, those pictures weren't there when I answered. Well, smoke some fatties whether you need to or not. :mrgreen:

+1 and post some pics.

Bigbux58
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Did you have anything on or in it but the fire? If not, cook a couple of fatties or a butt for your next cook.

Just fire.... Cooking tomorrow

Bigbux58
04-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I did mine for 16+hours @ 250-300. Seasoned beautiful. I filled my basket full with lump, did the minion method and let it go. Part of the reason was to see where it would cruise at and to see how long it would last. That way when I did a 14-16 hr smoke, I know how much charcoal to use. Use the search bar at the bottom of the page or read the mother of all UDS threads. Good luck!

Thanks... Never knew that search was there.

ssbbqguy
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I've built hundreds of this type of cooker and have never seasoned any of them.They do get cooking oil baked in when we powder coat, but sand that back off where the product will be. I do know the flow characteristics already so there's no reason to waste fuel. A much thicker unit, say .250" or more then I would. Just clean and lube with something that doesn't stink, put food in and cook. I use EVOO for it's got the highest burn point available at somewhere around 465 degrees. I had a customer call saying he wanted to smell some smoke and lit his unit I sent him. He said he forgot and 25 hours later it was still at 250 and plenty of fuel left. Now this is a experienced cook.??? Why waste fuel when it will cook differently with product in it than without. As said put some fatties or sausages in and it will season with every cook. It takes more than once.Steve.