PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used one of these tanks?

Buried In Smoke
04-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I picked it up this morning from my cousin. It's an old Liquid Nitrogen tank. 20" diameter actual tank height is 48". I know some of them are double walled, and some are made of different types of steel. Not sure about much on this one yet. Figured I would see what the Brethren might know about them. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/NewTank_zps4385ae4b.jpg

dwfisk
04-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Never opened one up but the lab my wife used to manage had them by the dozen. I think they are double walled & insulated, but all the ones I saw/moved were stainless. Sorry, thats all I know.s

Yellowhair42
04-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure all LN2 tanks are double wall.

Buried In Smoke
04-06-2013, 05:25 PM
That is what I thought as far as the double wall thing, but I have been told recently that some of the old tanks weren't. This tank is pretty old, and though I haven't cut into it, it doesn't appear to be heavy enough to to be doubled. Doesn't appear to be stainless either. Guess I will just have to make some cuts and find out. Thanks fellas.

TIMMAY
04-06-2013, 05:33 PM
The inner tank should be stainless, and there should be, but depending on how long it sat warmed up to room temperature, a vacuum as well on the space between the inner and outer tanks. The inner tank can be supported by stainless steel legs to the outer vessel. The insulation could be perlite. I can't tell from the color of the valves, but please be sure its a LIN tank and not LOX. If by chance it was LOX, you would have to find a way to purge some outside air into the tank before you take the cutting wheel to the inner tank to dilute the oxygen concentration.

Buried In Smoke
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM
It was definitely a Nitrogen tank based upon all of its label and tags. I has been sitting outdoors for about eight years with the valves open. The build date on the tank is 4/68 and it was rebuilt 5/85. Like I said, its old, but it is solid as heck. Thanks for the info and the warning on the LOX. It is VERY clearly marked and labeled everywhere as to what it is, just wish I knew more about the innards so I could formulate the best plan of where I made my cuts to make it the most of them, and keep the whole job as easy as possible. Not to mention whether or not its worth it.

Buried In Smoke
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Not to mention his boss claims that if it works for me and what I am looking to build, he might be able to get me a bunch more of them for nothing but my time to pick them up on occasion. So I figured if they can work well, there might be some other Brethren in my neck of the woods that could benefit as well from time to time.

TIMMAY
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Well... You always could take the cutting wheel to it and cut a 1 inch window somewhere on it and look in with a flashlight...

Buried In Smoke
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Well... You always could take the cutting wheel to it and cut a 1 inch window somewhere on it and look in with a flashlight...

That is kind of what I was thinking. Considered going with where I would be hoping to cut out for firebox or something like that. Go with a small cut and see what there is inside. Thanks for the suggestion and input.

Yellowhair42
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Due to the nature of LN2 it would have to be double wall.If not it would boil off and last only minutes after filling.Most likely double wall with perlite insulation and vacuum jacket.

Buried In Smoke
04-07-2013, 07:43 AM
This thing is starting to sound like quite the adventure.

TIMMAY
04-07-2013, 08:10 AM
You have a full day to work on this thing, cut a peep hole and take a look! pics would be cool too...

Buried In Smoke
04-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Yep. I will get some pics posted once get to cutting. The missus is crabbing at me to leave it alone and until I am finished with the other one I am working on. I am too curious, so that's not gonna happen.

Buried In Smoke
04-07-2013, 04:06 PM
So, I decided rather than doing the small hole and trying to look in I went with cutting out for the door as if I were starting out an offset. My assumption was that if there is insulation inside trying to look through a little hole with a flashlight to see what was happening might not do too much good. I also figured if there is a big ol' SS tank in there I would probably sacrificing the outer tank anyway. I there was a small tank, then it hopefully I would be able to get at its mounts and then fit it through the opening. Well, its 18" in diameter and almost as tall as the outer vessel. So, I am currently trying to figure the best way to not completely lose the outer tank. My welding skills are not up to the task of rebuilding a tank, so I really don't think I can put her back together again if I cut it all apart. But here are a couple of picks of what I have found so far. Now I have to decide what to do with the inner tank.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/IMG_20130407_160542_665_zps2d457ded.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/d22cecb3-18ab-4356-aae2-c4ae1d39171b_zps6b66f181.jpg

Buried In Smoke
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
A couple more picks, and some picks of the grub that kept me fueled.http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/IMG_20130407_172259_643_zpse209d3f4.jpg

On the UDS. Just some beef shorts, rubbed and rolling for a few hours at 250. No sauce today, no time. Just something to smell in the background while I work.
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/IMG_20130407_171351_535_zps7a758aae.jpg

A little snack.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s534/BuriedInSmoke1/IMG_20130407_172730_832_zpsc1005e51.jpg

TIMMAY
04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Ribs look nice! Does the inner tank appear to be supported by struts or is the only connection to the outer tank through the valve on top? If thats the case you might get away with cutting around the valve on top and cutting the hole you already have a little more so the inner tank slides out.

Buried In Smoke
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks on the ribs. It's actually attached top and bottom. I would have to cut the door opening another 5" wider. What I am thinking of doing is cutting the ends off outside the cap welds wide enough so that I can slide it out. That way I can keep the outer shell intact and just either weld a flat plate on, or weld the caps back on and repair them. Two tanks for the price of one...free. Will post more pics once I get back into it later in the week.