PDA

View Full Version : Need help, (meat is already in the smoker)

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi all, I'm new here, and in a bit of a mess. I purchased a "perfect flame" smoker at a garage sale, and trying it out today (as we speak). I've got a whole brisket, point separated from the flat, in the smoker and I can't get hot enough. I've got exhaust almost completely closed, and burner on high. Intake vents opened about 1/2, and I can't get over 200 degrees. Any advice to save my brisket would be much appreciated.

Just a note, not new to smoking, just new to this (crappy?) propane smoker. I could dial in my webber without a problem, but then again, the vents make a notable difference with a lump coal fire, and don't seem to make any difference with my gas fire

Ron_L
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
I've never used one of those, or even seen one, but in general having the exhaust closed seems like a bad idea. You need to let the exhaust out. Have you tried opening the exhaust?

Gore
04-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking if you want this done today, you might want to stick this one in the oven.

Mahoney86
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Check to the thermometer for accuracy, and definitely open up those top vents.

If none of that solves the problem, I am with Gore, better add that sucker to the oven

El Ropo
04-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I've got a whole brisket, point separated from the flat, in the smoker and I can't get hot enough. I've got exhaust almost completely closed, and burner on high. Intake vents opened about 1/2, and I can't get over 200 degrees. Any advice to save my brisket would be much appreciated.

^ This is a troll right?

ButtBurner
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
describe this smoker please.

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
The perfect flame is basically a cheap vertical propane smoker. I did get an increase in temp when I closed the exhaust (holding in the heat??), but still only about 205....meat is heating ok, up to 113 I. About 1.5 hrs...will opening the exhaust increase the heat?? How about the two intake vents near the bottom, open or closed??

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 10:03 AM
What's a troll?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
If this is the right model, here is the owner's manual for it. It may be of some help.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31737212/Perfect-Flame-Vertical-Gas-Smoker-GS-2001-Owners-Manual

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Smoker is 13"x13"xmaybe 4'. Single door, thermometer near the top of door. Single propane burner belor cast iron smoke box, below water pan. 4 racks above. 2 intake vents, one on either side of the bottom, one exhaust on the very top

Ron_L
04-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I've got a whole brisket, point separated from the flat, in the smoker and I can't get hot enough. I've got exhaust almost completely closed, and burner on high. Intake vents opened about 1/2, and I can't get over 200 degrees. Any advice to save my brisket would be much appreciated.

^ This is a troll right?

Seems like a legitimate question to me. I'm not sure why you would post that.

This is covered clearly in our rules...

NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

Ron_L
04-06-2013, 10:14 AM
The perfect flame is basically a cheap vertical propane smoker. I did get an increase in temp when I closed the exhaust (holding in the heat??), but still only about 205....meat is heating ok, up to 113 I. About 1.5 hrs...will opening the exhaust increase the heat?? How about the two intake vents near the bottom, open or closed??

Opening the exhaust will increase the airflow, and that may increase the heat. At the very least, however, it will let the byproducts from the burning gas out and not onto your meat. That's my main concern with a closed exhaust.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions based on that smoker.

El Ropo
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Seems like a legitimate question to me. I'm not sure why you would post that.

This is covered clearly in our rules...

Well, A trollin post to me is someone who is deliberately doing or stating poor technique to elicit a specific response. The OP was clearly doing just about everything possible wrong. Seems trollish. I apologize if it wasn't meant to be a troll post, but it certainly does come across that way.

If the OP had posted this same thread in the woodpile, everyone would be having a good chuckle about it. But in qtalk, it's a troll with an overly protective bitch slap from staff. You can ban me now, or send me to the wood pile for a year.

Ron_L
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Well, A trollin post to me is someone who is deliberately doing or stating poor technique to elicit a specific response. The OP was clearly doing just about everything possible wrong. Seems trollish. I apologize if it wasn't meant to be a troll post, but it certainly does come across that way.

If the OP had posted this same thread in the woodpile, everyone would be having a good chuckle about it. But in qtalk, it's a troll with an overly protective bitch slap from staff. You can ban me now, or send me to the wood pile for a year.

Not every one is a veteran. We all get into situations where we need help, and dan_fash felt that he needed help. Instead of accusing him of being a troll, offer some assistance. That's what we do here.

He didn't post it in WP, he posted it in QT because that is where it belongs. If you feel that his question is inappropriate or violates our rules, report it to a moderator and let us deal with it. Otherwise just walk away and don't reply.

Lake Dogs
04-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Dan, hopefully you've had the opportunity to get some smoke on it. I suggest to you that you may need to move this cook to the oven, inside, until you learn to get the smoker up into that 250+- range.

code3rrt
04-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Is the burner working correctly? I know when you are cooking with charcoal, you open the bottom vents to get the airflow and resultant increase in heat, not really sure if the same prinipal applies with the propane burner set-up. How about your gas/air mix, is that adjusted properly? I'm not familiar with your specific product, but I did cook with gas for years in restaurants, so that's about the only advice I can offer.

KC

Bludawg
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I would bet the Pressure regulator is the culprit not allowing enough flow to achieve the desired heat.

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Just to counter the troll comment.... I started with exhaust 3/4 open, and exhaust about 1/2. I put the meat in before hitting temp because some say that helps to improve the crust. I only closed the exhaust (troll ish???) because I wasn't getting enough heat just adjusting intakes. (Several posts about controlling heat with exhaust vs intakes, depending on smoker) and this is my first smoke in this smoker. Pretty sure I haven't displayed any "poor" techniques, though as I stated, I'm new here, posted asking for help, not insult.
I've got 235, hopefully enough exhaust (this thing leaks like a seive anyway) jand no time table (and a cooler full of beer). Think ill push on for another few hours of smoke befor I shamefully foil and oven.

Subzerogriller
04-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Dan, worst case you can always see if you can get it to at least 140 in the smoker before tossing it in the oven. After 140, meat won't take on any additional smoke anyway (assuming brisket works the same as pork in this regard, I may be wrong), so finishing it in the oven will have absolutely no adverse effect. No shame in this at all; most of us have had to toss something in the oven at one point or another. :doh:

code3rrt
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
By the way.....Welcome to the forum!

Good luck on finishing your cook:eusa_clap. And the oven........just another tool in the box, lol

KC

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I would bet the Pressure regulator is the culprit not allowing enough flow to achieve the desired heat.

Hah, Bludawg was right.... Turned all the gas off, disconnected and re-hooked the propane. Hit 250 in less than 5 minutes, even had to turn down the gas

Fishin4bass723
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I would have to bet that the temperature gauge is bad go by a cheap replacement from like Menards or Lowes
but to be safe I agree to take it in the house and finish it in the oven

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks KC. Looking forward to more use of the forum. Hoping for every other week smokes this summer, until it hits 100 outside, like Oklahoma tends to do late June

Arlin_MacRae
04-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Hah, Bludawg was right.... Turned all the gas off, disconnected and re-hooked the propane. Hit 250 in less than 5 minutes, even had to turn down the gas

Even trolls can learn new tricks, eh? :laugh:

Thanks, Bludawg, for keeping the Brethren spirit alive and well.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks KC. Looking forward to more use of the forum. Hoping for every other week smokes this summer, until it hits 100 outside, like Oklahoma tends to do late June

Hey, we need you in here participating. You are now our Perfect Flame Smoker resident expert. :biggrin1:

GARNAAL
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
here the explanation!!
the Overfill Protection Device and
Check valve problems ..

and.. how to fix them !

http://grillrepair.hubpages.com/hub/Why-wont-my-gas-barbeque-get-hot-enough-to-cook

landarc
04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I would vote oven as well. In a gas cooker it is important to keep all the vents open, the burner operate quite differently from a wood burning cooker. More oxygen, at least until the cooker returns to temperature after putting on the meat will help. Most gas cookers should never be controlled with the vents, they should always be left wide open for air, and use the gas regulator to control heat.

charrederhead
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Dang, I was gonna suggest losing the water pan! Good call, Bludawg.

1MoreFord
04-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Modern propane tanks have a safety mechanism in the valve that sometimes trips when it shouldn't and the way to reset it is to turn off the cooker then close the tank valve. Sometimes you even have to tap the drum against the ground to reset the flow restrictor. Then Slowly! open the valve and then re-light the cooker.

Titch
04-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I have one of those,mine is called a Hark but it looks the same.
After smoking is done I remove all smoking boxes and water pans,top vent fully open.

dan_fash
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
3 hours of horrid heat control this morning, but...
12 hours
13 lb brisket, split point and flat, Salt/Pepper/garlic
3 slabs of ribs
plus the extras

Lots of happy people

next brisket I may foil. tip end was much drier than I was hoping for, but considering couldn't get over 210 degrees for 3 hours, I'll take it.

Maybe the best ribs I've ever smoked, but no heat issues by the time they hit the smoker. Famous Daves Rib Rub, first smoke, was great.

Hope the pics turn out

and Not a Troll

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Looks like you nailed both meats. :thumb: