PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Thermoworks

Texas Turtle
04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
The Thermoturd (superfast brown splashproof Thermapen) crapped out on me in the middle of the biggest cook to the year (6 butts on the WSM for church dinner). Luckily I was able to snatch my wife's pink one to finish the cook. I emailed Thermoworks and they sent me an RMA number. Priority mailed it to their Utah address and three days later it is on the way back after warranty repair, including free UPS shipping. Customer service like this is rare nowadays. No wonder their equipment is ubiquitous among the Brethren. :razz:

Mahoney86
04-05-2013, 07:50 AM
I have always heard great things about their customer service. One day Ill finally retire all my cheap digital therms and buy a thermopen

Jaskew82
04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
A crapped out thermopen is as good as a working thermopen when cooking pork butts. Just need something to stick into the meat to FEEL if it is done. :-)

NickTheGreat
04-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Wow. That's amazing

Texas Turtle
04-05-2013, 08:13 AM
A crapped out thermopen is as good as a working thermopen when cooking pork butts. Just need something to stick into the meat to FEEL if it is done. :-)

It still works fine as a probe, but I like to keep track of time vs temp for learning purposes, so I prefer it to work, especially since it is only 6 months old. Besides, I'm an engineer, I love gadgets and I hate stuff that doesn't work after i pay good money for it.

Jaskew82
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I totally get it. I realize my comment may have come off the wrong way - sorry about that. I just meant that for the purposes of pork butt, you could use it as a probe to feel for "doneness".

luke duke
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I totally get it. I realize my comment may have come off the wrong way - sorry about that. I just meant that for the purposes of pork butt, you could use it as a probe to feel for "doneness".

This is basically what mine is used for now (with briskets/butts). The actual temp is just for information only.

Now for steaks, tri-tips, and pork loins the temperature is very important.

Bonewagon
04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Always nice to hear about good customer service. :thumb:

1MoreFord
04-05-2013, 09:49 PM

As long as you make sure to cook bone in butt you don't even need a probe. Use the bone to test for doneness.:doh: It's more reliable than probing.:wink: