PDA

View Full Version : Weber Q120

prodano
04-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm thinking about buying the Weber Q120 and am wondering if any of the brethren have any advice, either good or bad, regarding this grill. I'm looking for something portable to take on picnics with my daughter and go camping with. Thanks!

J'ville Grill
04-05-2013, 01:47 AM
When I go camping I take my Master Touch or my 18.5 WSM. I would never even consider taking a gas grill.

fedex
04-05-2013, 03:03 AM
They are great. I bought a Q100 brand new off CL after my 12 year old WGA finally gave out. I use it for my daughters softball games (travelball). Although not as portable as the WGA (allot heavier) it's a much better portable gas cooker. Great for a couple quick burgers and brawts. Real handy for camping and tailgaiting. This is my thread I posted after a few mods. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144814 BTW check CL They are showing up quite a bit now.

westy
04-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Are you looking for a gas grill specifically? I have the 220 and it works very well for what it is. Has good output and very portable. Cast iron grates. However, if your interested, they also have the Weber char Q that runs on charcoal instead. Looks like a good option as well.

Titch
04-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Our Q100 goes camping with us in our Caravan.
Wife cooks fantastic meals in it when we cant use fossil fuel.

fedex
04-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Hey AussieTitch, your avatar freaks me out. LOL

Titch
04-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Hey AussieTitch, your avatar freaks me out. LOL

Propose and that could be your Wife,you lucky bugger you:thumb:

benniesdad
04-05-2013, 06:42 AM
I bought a Q100 a couple of years ago for $25 off CL and fell in love with it. It is a great little grill for doing quick and simple things. The CI grate really allows it to cook better than you think it will. It warms up fast and when you think about the other options, it really doesn’t take up that much space for what you get. A SJ may be smaller, but when you look at the other things you will need with it, you really don’t save that much space. Downsides to the baby Q are:

1. There is no really good way of closing it off with all the dirt inside like you can do with a SJ Gold because the lid does not lock and the open grease drain at the bottom. It is definitely harder to keep clean than a SJ.

2. The little propane bottles provide no way of measuring how much fuel you have left. I bought one of the hoses to connect it to a large tank on an impulse buy and it is still in the box. :oops:

Overall, I think for what you are wanting to do, it would serve you well.

hav
04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I picked one off of CL as well, they are great for camping. I bought a Coleman griddle from wally world that fits perfectly. I was able to make eggs and pancakes in the morning followed by burgers and hotdogs in the evening. The stand also collapses so it is easy to transport.

prodano
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Sounds great. From everything I have read here and online it seems like it exceeds most people's expectations. Plus it's a Weber, so I know it will last a while. I figure it will be great for at home when I want to have a quick and dirty weeknight meal as well. Thanks for the replies!

Navy Chief Smoken
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking about buying the Weber Q120 and am wondering if any of the brethren have any advice, either good or bad, regarding this grill. I'm looking for something portable to take on picnics with my daughter and go camping with. Thanks!
I have the Weber Q100, take it when I travel for work, because a lot of hotels don't off grills to cook on.

volfan411
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
I have a Q220 and love it for quick cooks after work. I bought it for tailgating parties and now it is the only gas grill I have.

Smoking Westy
04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I have a Q220 and love it for quick cooks after work. I bought it for tailgating parties and now it is the only gas grill I have.

Ditto on the 220. I don't use has very often but the 220 quickly won me over for quick cooks or taking in the boat fishing. Love the capacity the 220 brings to the table.

mbshop
04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
i have a q220 and love it but its just not that portable, size and weight. i have been looking for a q120 or even a q100 but around here they are still $$$$$$$$ for used ones.
they are a good choice also because many areas/campgrounds/parks no longer allow charcoal.
also the little bottles are sold just about everywhere so no real chance of running out of them.

LittleHill Smoke
04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Love my baby Q. Bought it just for camping. Would do it all over again if I had to.

Hell Fire Grill
04-05-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a 100 and IN MY OPINION it is under powered. You can cook burgers & dogs on it just fine but chicken & thick steaks can be a problem with the lower BTU ratings. I'll recommend the Q 200 or bigger for a grill all grill.

Beerbecue
04-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I have an older Q100 that I use frequently. I mostly cook just for the two of us and I really like the convenience of the "Babycue" It is my only gas grill.