PDA

View Full Version : Fat didn't render

aevanlloyd
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I recently cooked a brisket. I trimmed the fat cap to 1/8 inch and removed all of the other visible fat. After about 10 hours the brisket had an internal temp of 195. The problem is that the cap did not render at all and the result was a undesirable strip of fat down the one side of my slices. I cooked at 250˙ for the entire cook and foiled after about 7 hours.

Any ideas of what I did wrong. I'm thinking next time I'll remove the cap as I really didn't like the visible fat, but I was hoping the fat would render and tenderize the meat.

Any advise is well appreciated.

Evan

Bludawg
04-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Cook hotter, & loose the foil> fat don't render well until you get to 300, It's BBQ lean has no place here Fat =Flavor A well rendered fat cap is the sugar cookie:thumb:.

marubozo
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM
What is your definition of render? If you were hoping the thin layer of fat would completely melt away and crisp up like bacon, that isn't going to happen. You'll have a thin, translucent, gelatinous layer of fat on top, that will melt in your mouth, which is basically what you want. It wouldn't be rendered if it was still white and hard. Did you have tough, hard fat on top even after cooking? If so, are you sure you trimmed it as tight as you thought?

mbshop
04-05-2013, 01:21 AM
nope, fat won't "render" like you are hoping for. most of us don't want it to render anyway. if the fat bothers you just cut it off. as suggested you might wanna up the cooking temp to near 300.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-05-2013, 07:30 AM
You pulled it off at 195F, but didn't say it probed tender. It isn't fully cooked until it probes "like buttah" all over and that can be 200F or even more.

CharredApron
04-05-2013, 07:50 AM
You pulled it off at 195F, but didn't say it probed tender. It isn't fully cooked until it probes "like buttah" all over and that can be 200F or even more.
What he said! Buttah!

iambruce
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Some people would not agree with me, but I think that's the best part!! I trim mine to about 1/8" thick just like you, rub it down, and then just enjoy!

Bbq Bubba
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
What you call undiserable most people call flavor.

---k---
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
The fat cap on top never completly renders. All brisket I've ever been served has had it on there (unless it was cut off post cook).

My photos from when I went to Franklins in Austin were mostly of Point, so the fat cap doesn't show up. But google found this photo from Franklins:
http://donobbq.blogspot.com/2013/02/25-pounds-of-franklin-brisket.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z9wOkZaI7NU/USvXyG-XleI/AAAAAAAACP0/L6vjZ6xfZ00/s1600/5383.jpg

Looks like it has fully cooled and is being cut wrong, but you get the picture. See the big fat cap on top.

El Ropo
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
umm ^ that pic is not from franklins. Why do I know? Cuz who has bathroom tile on their serving table in a commercial establishment?

Nope. That's not from Franklin's BBQ. Maybe from the Franklin family home somewhere. It appears to have just been removed from an overnight rest in the fridge. Where is a deli slicer when you need it?

OK, they ordered whole briskets from Franklins according to the blog. But no way that was sliced and served out of a commercial establishment.

LMAJ
04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
umm ^ that pic is not from franklins. Why do I know? Cuz who has bathroom tile on their serving table in a commercial establishment?
Looking at the link the brisket was from Franklins, but delivered to someone's home.

BobM
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
You'll have a thin, translucent, gelatinous layer of fat on top, that will melt in your mouth^ This.

WareZdaBeef
04-05-2013, 11:37 AM

Nope. That's not from Franklin's BBQ. Maybe from the Franklin family home somewhere. It appears to have just been removed from an overnight rest in the fridge. Where is a deli slicer when you need it?

Just a thought, but maybe the guy bought an entire brisket and took it home?

Bludawg
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
That looks like corned beef you can see the marble lines running through it and it has not been rendered at all, definitely not Frankiln's I've eat there a few times.
This is not Franklin's either It's mine but his looks similar.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0047.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0019.jpg

---k---
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I didn't think it was Franklins either. But, the dude has a reciept and why would he lie? That is why partly I gave the blog link. I think he refigerated it so he could vac seal it and then is cutting it wrong. The bark didn't look right to me either. But. Like I said.

Let's not get sidetracked here. It was just a picture to demonstate the point. And the point is that the fat cap never gets rendered completely.

WareZdaBeef
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Holy crap that old man payed over $500 for 3 briskets and had to give 1/2 of one away! Suddenly im not so butt hurt about having to sometime in a pinch pay $4.99/lb for nicely trimmed flats.

landarc
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
This photo shows what I expect from a fat cap when the cook is done...
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/landarc/brisket5.jpg

Note that the fat is translucent and quite soft. Now, if that is unappetizing to you, then by all means, scrape it off. For me, that is the best part of a cooked flat. If you trim the entire cap off, you are going to find it much harder to successfully cook brisket. Now, I know of a few places, that once the brisket is cooked, they take a large knife and simply scrape that fat off. That appalls me, as that is where the best flavor is for me. BTW, that fat cap there, was trimmed to 1/4", my normal trim level.

El Ropo
04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Just a thought, but maybe the guy bought an entire brisket and took it home?

Maybe you didn't read my whole post, or I edited it after you read it. But I already said that.

WareZdaBeef
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe you didn't read my whole post, or I edited it after you read it. But I already said that.

Actually, I started posting before your post, you just beat me to the punch. (im a slow typer) Sorry if you felt i belittled you. It was unintentional.

aevanlloyd
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Wow! Okay, then I guess I did it right. I didn't think the strip of fat on top was good. I don't compete, but for those of you who do, do you serve the judges such fatty slices?

landarc
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I am not a regular competition guy, but, yes. Although I do not consider them to be fatty. Oddly, I remove all of the fat from any pork pieces I turn in, but, brisket, I really try to trim to the proper size and leave some fat cap on.

WareZdaBeef
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I am not a regular competition guy, but, yes. Although I do not consider them to be fatty. Oddly, I remove all of the fat from any pork pieces I turn in, but, brisket, I really try to trim to the proper size and leave some fat cap on.

I always trim to 1/8 - 1/4 before smoking so that you have the perfect amount of fat to bark ratio.

Hambone1950
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I ate at a really good bbq restaurant in Bedford , ma. Last year ( the firebox)
I complimented one of the cooks on how juicy and flavorful the brisket was. In the course of our little chat he said it was discouraging how many people would call what he considered a perfect brisket "fatty". I told him " they just don't get it , brother, this brisket is pure bbq heaven" and it was , too.

GrillsGoneWild
04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I went to a BBQ restaurant one day and they took out a cooked brisket and before the guy started slicing it up, he took his knife and scrapped the fat cap off. I just about jumped over the counter and slapped him. I told him to just give me some ribs since he just threw out the best flavor part of the brisket.