PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

IrishSimon
04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Quick question guys.... I am going to start my UDS tomorrow and have a problem which I am sure you will have a solution to.

The drum I have (55 gallon) has the lid attached and I am nervous of cutting it as I had much difficulty getting the drum in the first place!!! I don't have the option of a kettle lid so I am thinking of cutting the top of the barrel and bending the cut off edge in so I can push it into the body of the drum and hopefully it will fit snugly.

What do you think?

P.S....dont have a welder either!

Bludawg
04-04-2013, 06:53 PM
measure down the side 3" and mark cut line around the circumference.then get a piece of 3 " aluminum strapping and bolt it on the inside of the drum so there is 2'' protruding above the top of the drum.

Novass
04-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Grind on the top edge until you see the split all the way around. Then you should be able to pry the lid out.

smokainmuskoka
04-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Simon,

Depending on the original contents of the closed-top drum, you have to be extra careful cutting/grinding with anything that will generate a spark. There was a fatality at a high school metal shop here in Canada a few years ago.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/05/26/ottawa-school-explosion.html

What I've seen advise most often on this forum is to cut the top out with a hammer and cold chisel, but that doesn't help with your wish to use the top as a lid.

Good luck with the UDS, but be careful. You don't want the fire brigade and Guarda at your doorstep.

Yellowhair42
04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
I always fill with water then do my hot work.

J-Rod
04-05-2013, 09:20 AM
measure down the side 3" and mark cut line around the circumference.then get a piece of 3 " aluminum strapping and bolt it on the inside of the drum so there is 2'' protruding above the top of the drum.

^^^This^^^ Look for the "how-to" in the giant UDS thread.