PDA

View Full Version : Good Barrel for UDS??

DUCKSHOT
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Got this from work and was used to store oily bilge water. Little rust around the edges and looks like it's painted inside. Guess I would burn it out and then use a wire wheel on a grider. How long does it take to actually do this?

If this drum won't work I'm going to go a different route like buying a smoker. Would like to get a combo vertical smoker with a fire box on the side where I can also as a grill. Almost tempted to get an el cheapo for less tha $300.
Tell me what y'all think....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/DUCKSHOT/20130404_154410.jpg

flyingbassman5
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
The wire wheel issue depends on how dedicated you are to getting it done. An entire UDS can be made in one weekend if you are willing to put in the hours to build it. Other begin the project, realize that its too much of a PITA for them, and then go buy a WSM or similar.

Also, you have to ask yourself, do you have time to build it? You can be dedicated to getting it down, but if you don't have time to do it, it may take a few weeks, months, or years.

El Ropo
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
That would be the not so dreaded tan epoxy liner. You could sandblast it out, or burn it out. Just be sure to drill your intake holes at bottom of drum before burning. That allows full oxygen flow to the fire.

Forgot to mention people have had great success using kleen strip paint remover to melt the tan liners away. I'd still burn it and degrease it after applying kleen strip.

DUCKSHOT
04-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Almost think I should use this as my seafood barrel with wood on top.
Think I might get an old oil drum, alot less hassle. Just burn and clean. I'llhave the top cut off and buy a Weber top for it. I hear the oil drums are a little smaller and accept the top better.

ssbbqguy
04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
That barrel is very thin and not worth the cost of blasting imo. We've used those to make shop heaters and didn't last a year. If there is any way to buy a re-con or as I do a new one. Unlined and nothing but clean and assemble that way. Whole bunch easier. Steve.

yakdung
04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Looks like a Chinese drum with a nasty liner.

Vendinguy
04-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Experience has taught me that those liners are not worth messing with.

J-Rod
04-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Get an unlined, oped head barrel and save yourself the hassle. It took me hours of grinding even after a burn out and hitting with stripper. It sucked huge nutz.

Neonnblack
04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
I had one with the infamous red liner, burned it then took a flap disc to it for about 2 hours. I still didnt get all of it out. Still cook on it, not dead yet.

zzrudyzz
04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Tan liners are not bad a hot enough fire for a few hours burned mine out

DUCKSHOT
04-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Well that's a done deal then, going to buy a used one for $60 down the road. Probably paint this one and slap some seafood stencils on it.
Still reading the BIG UDS thread on building one and trying to decide what I'm going to do for intake and exhaust ports. I've seen small holes with magnets, small pipes, big pipes, fancy pantsy exhasut pipe. So many choices!!
Thanks alot for the info guys, glad I didn't waste my time and money tryin to clean this one up.

moe1967
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Burn 4 old pallets in there and it will take out about 95% of the darn liner. Drill your breather holes first. You can actually hear the fire breathing, lol

pressure wash and wire wheel the rest out as best you can.

It sucks donkey balls and I'll never do it again.