PDA

View Full Version : Briskit, the holy grail....?

angryfish01
04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
So, now that I've updated all my grilling and smoking equipment, and hanging out on this site way too much, I got the need to try my skills and grills on some brisket.
I believe to some degree that the meat you start with has a large effect on the outcome, to a point. Skills are more important.
On a whim I called the only butcher shop I know of in the Nashville areia
http://prbutcher.com/

"Oh yes, we have the best beef in the world. Localy raised, grass fed. no hormones, etc."

OK, how much a pound?

"$10.00 a pound"

For brisket? Realy? :shocked:

"Yea, a packer size is about 8 to 10 lbs."

$80.00-$100.00 brisket.

I'm going to Sam's Club.

JMSetzler
04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I have had nothing but good results from the CAB beef I get at my local Sam's Club. I'm picking up a brisket today or tomorrow to cook this weekend also.

WareZdaBeef
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Its like that in my area aswell. It seems all the local farmers have now gone the way of the gourmet organic grass fed niche. I suppose its hard to compete with all the big chains, but even the big chains prices are high with the exception of sales during holidays. I now buy in bulk when sales come along and have a chest freezer and a upright freezer.

JMSetzler
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Packers at my local Sam's Club are $2.58/lb. They sell flats also for $3.99/lb.

dwfisk
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
$10/pound NOT!
Definetly go to Sams or shop around, its not uncommon to get them on sale for <$2.00 per pound. I've found a good consistent source for choice packers that usually run from $2.50-$2.90/pound depending on which way the wind is blowing. Only downside is they are large a food service company that normally wholesales & delivers to restaurants & independent grocers, but they do have a will call desk for the public if you are willing to purchase in their case lots. For brisket, that means buying a case of 5 briskets, each about 15 pounds. They have everything from meats to paper products & condiments. You might look to see it there is a similar company in your area, bet there are several in the Nashville area.

Pole D
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM

Those are the same prices we get here at the Sam's in Morrisville but you have to order a packer and they don't carry the actual CAB brand.

Do you have to special order yours? If so do they just bring in the one for your order or do you actually get to look through a case of them?

Daggs
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Funny how stores all price products on a store by store basis. The 2 SAMs that I use are both $2.48 on packers and $4.26 on flats(normally)

WareZdaBeef
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Funny how stores all price products on a store by store basis. The 2 SAMs that I use are both $2.48 on packers and $4.26 on flats(normally)

A super walmart near me had packers on sale for $2.18/lb and i asked a manager how long the sale was and they told me its on a day to day basis and corporate tells them when to start and end the sales and the prices. Since sams is a division of walmart im sure its run the same.

angryfish01
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Wish I thought of it at the time, but I should call back and ask the price for ribeye.

Bludawg
04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
1.97 lb everyday at HEB :biggrin1: It's a TX thing! You need to learn from ole Davy Crockett, he saw the light and came to Tx.

angryfish01
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Bludawg, I've been thinking about it. The question is where?

Bludawg
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
If you can't ride & rope or raise crops I suggest a City.

Haveuseen1?
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I frequent Nashville quite often, and have been to Porter Road Butcher. In all fairness, this place is not your "normal" butcher shop. They are a specialty butcher shop. Their prices are higher than the normal butcher, although they have full traceability on the meat that they sell. It wouldnt surprise me if they could tell you the animals name. That being said, if you are not into that kind of thing, then you would definitely be in the wrong place. I am not sure I would pay 10.00/lb for a brisket from PRB, because what they are selling is not as important to me. I am fine with my 2.48/lb brisket from Sams, that who knows where it came from and when.

deguerre
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
My local Mom and Pop has choice real CAB brand packers for 3.19/lb that occasionally go on sale for 2.89/lb or so. Works great for me.

angryfish01
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Haveuseen1?,
I'm not opposed to paying more for a better product, nor did I mean to dissparrige PR butcher. They have a nice shop and have good product.
But $10.00/lb for brisket?
Would I be able to taste the difference after a 10 hour cook?

Vision
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
"Oh yes, we have the best beef in the world. Localy raised, grass fed. no hormones, etc."

Sounds like you went to a high end stylish butcher.

My beloved butcher shop uses phrases like "kill floor." :biggrin1:

El Ropo
04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Unless they are walking in the back and cutting the brisket right off of a carcass, you are getting ripped at $10/lb. I'd be interested in what they sell for that price. If it's in a cryopak and it has a packer stamp like Excel, Swift, or IBP. They are clearly bending people over.

angryfish01
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
El Ropo,
They cut it off the whole cow. They even offer a butchering class.

Haveuseen1?
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I dont know if a 10.00/lb brisket tastes any better, and unless someone else buys one for me, I might never find out. I didnt think you were negative towards PRB. I like what they do and stand for, and honestly wish more places cared about our food as much as they do. If what they did was the "standard" then the prices would not be so high. I guess as a country we have moved to far past caring where/how our food gets to the table.

My nephew works in the butcher department at Kroger. They pretty much just open up a box and put it out for sale. They do cut steaks, and pork chops, and grind meat. But if you asked them to butcher a cow I bet they couldnt do it. I asked him where their meat came from and he answered a distributor. I am in no means knocking Kroger, as I do buy meat there, but I dont expect any expert advice from them either.

Back to PRB. I went to buy some pork belly. It was 15.00/lb. I didnt buy any, although the hog was in the back that they were going to cut it off of for me. You got to admit that is worth something. It just wasnt worth the extra 12.50/a pound for me. I buy it locally for 2.50/lb from some random hog, and it makes good bacon.

RangerJ
04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
If you can't ride & rope or raise crops I suggest a City.

I resemble these remarks! And my brisket is still under $2.00 per lb at my local HEB.

Daggs
04-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that paying double at a butcher that will cut and trim it for you could come out pretty well. Not to say its worth it but I trim over a pound of fat off of every packer if not more. Either way ill stick with SAMs