PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Paprika?

Big V
04-04-2013, 04:12 AM
I was at Penzy's last weekend picking up some granulated garlic and onion, and took a whiff of their smoked paprika. It smelled pretty good, but I didn't buy it. Now I wished I would have. Does anyone use it in their rubs or anything else? I think it would be good in chili? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Scott

Phubar
04-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Yes and yes!
It's hard for me to switch back to regular.
Made a brisket chilli last weekend and the smoked paprika came through very well.

SmokinAussie
04-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Smoked Paprika (as far as I know), originated in Spain when the Conquistadores brought back the Chili from South America. They had countless feilds of the stuff and the chilis, were then smoked in massive smoke houses and then ground down to a fine powder. In Spanish, this was known as Pimenton (not to be confused with Pimento)...

http://sweetartichoke.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/paodequeijo3pimenton.jpg

I've got exactly this one at home, but the Smoked Version. There are a few available. Hot, Extra Hot... Picante (Mild / Sweet) and naturally... SMOKED!

Paprika, in all it's versions is used in Many Many Rubs and Sauces and is exremely flavourful. Go back and GET IT... and don't fret about getting the expensive Spanish stuff!

You won't regret it!

Cheers!

Bill

Big V
04-04-2013, 04:43 AM
I guess I know where I'm going this weekend! Now, what should I try first with it? :thumb:

SmokinAussie
04-04-2013, 04:47 AM
I'd go Chicken. We use it a lot on Chicken here, and one particular reason why, is because chicken is not that strong in it's own flavour and is well aided by spices. Once you get the Paprika Profile from the Chicken, then you can get a good idea of how to use it on all other meats... like brisket, as Phube's did.

Cheers!

Bill

Big V
04-04-2013, 04:50 AM
I'd go Chicken. We use it a lot on Chicken here, and one particular reason why, is because chicken is not that strong in it's own flavour and is well aided by spices. Once you get the Paprika Profile from the Chicken, then you can get a good idea of how to use it on all other meats... like brisket, as Phube's did.

Cheers!

Bill

Good idea Bill! Thanks, chicken it is. :-D

Phubar
04-04-2013, 04:52 AM
I think we have that same brand over here as well Aussie.
I use this one and it also comes in mild,sweet,spicey...

http://www.ladespensashop.nl/1180-6276-thickbox/gerookte-paprikapoeder-mild-dulce-pimenton-ahumado-la-chinata-blikje-70-gram.jpg

Brian in Maine
04-04-2013, 05:37 AM
I guess I know where I'm going this weekend! Now, what should I try first with it? :thumb:

Deviled eggs!!

Gasket
04-04-2013, 06:02 AM
What about smoking your own?

SmokeFan
04-04-2013, 06:42 AM
I use it all the time. Our local HEB has it in the bulk foods/spice section, and you can fill a small zip loc bag of the stuff for around $3. Not sure how it compares to the real deal spanish stuff, but I like itl

DirtyChurro
04-04-2013, 07:51 AM
To me, with the exception of the smoked flavor, paprika tastes like a mouthful of sawdust. I even tried getting better quality stuff at the local gourmet type food establishment and it was still terrible. I no longer put it in any rubs. If I want any smokey flavor I used smoked chipotle powder.

Gnaws on Pigs
04-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I use it all the time-I like to put a mixture of smoked paprika and sweet hungarian paprika in a lot of my rubs/seasoning blends.

J-Rod
04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
It's really good sprinkled over homemade mac and cheese. Just adds that certain unctiousness.

Buried In Smoke
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
It's really good sprinkled over homemade mac and cheese. Just adds that certain unctiousness.

Bravo on "unctiousness".:clap2:

Bludawg
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't use it I have a theory. If I put Regular Paprika in a rub apply it to a hunk of critter and place said critter on my smoker for hrs & hrs isn't that Smoked Paprika as well. Seems redundant to me to put smoked paprika on meat that is going into a smoker. Something to ponder.

landarc
04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I use smoked sweet Spanish paprika in all manner of ways. It adds great color and depth of flavor.

SmokeFan
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't use it I have a theory. If I put Regular Paprika in a rub apply it to a hunk of critter and place said critter on my smoker for hrs & hrs isn't that Smoked Paprika as well. Seems redundant to me to put smoked paprika on meat that is going into a smoker. Something to ponder.

While I do use it my rubs, cuz I have it on hand, I use it more often on items which are not going to be near the smoker or grill, and yet being a brethren, I desire a small hint of smoke none the less. I also frequently use it also as a finishing garnish, for example on a roasted cauliflower or butternut squash soup, to provide some color, and again a hint of smoke. :grin:

SmokingJo
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I think we have that same brand over here as well Aussie.
I use this one and it also comes in mild,sweet,spicey...

http://www.ladespensashop.nl/1180-6276-thickbox/gerookte-paprikapoeder-mild-dulce-pimenton-ahumado-la-chinata-blikje-70-gram.jpg

I use the same, in Italy. It's great!