PDA

View Full Version : No more pork butt

HankB
04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
So says the link to the article: New meat names mean bye bye, pork chop; hello, ribeye (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-bye-bye-pork-chop-hello-ribeye-20130403,0,6636326.story)

:tsk:

From the article:
In an effort to boost sales going into the grilling season and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal.

:rant2:

Bullpuckey! How is "retooling more than 350 names" going to "make shopping ... a bit easier?"

My theory is it will make it easier for the packers to sell lesser cuts for more $$$

:tsk: :mad2:

MisterChrister
04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Dirty farkers.......I bet you're spot on....

DirtyChurro
04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
I admit I don't know what all the cuts are. I know what a pork butt is. I wonder what the new name for baby back ribs will be?

caseydog
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I know my meats pretty well. But, even I sometimes encounter something I have never heard of.

My parent's neighbor works for a restaurant supplier, and he gave me a chitload of "pork brisket steaks." In reality, it is rib tips. I had to Google and ask the brethren to find out what the fark pork brisket steaks were.

So, I wouldn't mind having some standardization in the meat naming routine.

It would also be nice to occasionally know what the phark Phubar is cooking. :becky:

CD

DirtyChurro
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
They should just say "This is pig. Please cook low and slow."

flyingbassman5
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
My take...

If you don't know what the fark kind of cut of meat you are cooking, I don't want to be eating it. And you probably shouldn't be cooking it..

Of course, doing a little research like C-dog did is usually too hard for the general public. Heaven forbid you actually go and TALK to the butcher about what you are buying! Then again, if he doesn't know what the fark the cut of meat is, you should probably find a new butcher!!! :mad:

K, I'm done..

DriverWild
04-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I heard about the pork butt change a month ago or so from the pork board. They are changing it to pork shoulder, which is really what it is of course. Apparently shoulder is more consumer friendly than butt.

J'ville Grill
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I heard about the pork butt change a month ago or so from the pork board. They are changing it to pork shoulder, which is really what it is of course. Apparently shoulder is more consumer friendly than butt.

I thought pork butt was being changed to Boston roast.

Gnaws on Pigs
04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
My take...

If you don't know what the fark kind of cut of meat you are cooking, I don't want to be eating it. And you probably shouldn't be cooking it..

Of course, doing a little research like C-dog did is usually too hard for the general public. Heaven forbid you actually go and TALK to the butcher about what you are buying! Then again, if he doesn't know what the fark the cut of meat is, you should probably find a new butcher!!! :mad:

K, I'm done..

Unless you don't live in a city, and aren't wealthy, like many of us. There isn't one of those "butchers" of which you speak within 50 miles of where I live, and that 50-mile one charges about three-four times more for meat than you can buy it everywhere else. I am mostly my own butcher. I kill meat and process it myself or buy it from normal grocery stores.

VA-Dave
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
It would also be nice to occasionally know what the phark Phubar is cooking. :becky:

CD

LMAO!!

I love his cooks, but I have to wonder sometimes what those cuts are.

Dave

J-Rod
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
My take...

K, I'm done..

Problem with this is there aren't too many butcher shops left in the world, least not in my area, and I'm in metro Detroit! And the places that are it's just not cost effective to buy from vs. the supermarket. It's sad though, people are so accustomed to selecting prepackaged meats that they know little of their origins, and I believe it takes away from the entire food experience buying this way vs. buying from a butcher who can inform you of the cuts and qualities. However, I believe changing the names of cuts will just confuse the hell out of consumers, not make the cuts more appealing. What a buncha dorks.

NickTheGreat
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Interesting. I'll admit though, I had no idea WTF a pork butt was before I started smoking a year or so ago. I really thought it came from the rear of the pig :caked:

MarleyMan
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM
My take...

K, I'm done..

This is how I feel too, with the advent of all of this great technology at our fingertips, yet people can't be arsed to do a little research on their own or talk to their butcher!:mad2::mad2::mad2:

etcetrah
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Interesting. I'll admit though, I had no idea WTF a pork butt was before I started smoking a year or so ago. I really thought it came from the rear of the pig :caked:

My kids will be happy about the name change. When I told them excitedly that I was smoking a Boston Butt on Saturday, they had the same thought as you...and were not nearly as excited as I was.

landarc
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM
It took me an hour to figure out what a Jewish Filet was the first time Phu mentioned it.

Outnumbered
04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
^^^A what? That's not Kosher pork is it? :razz:

dadsr4
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
It took me an hour to figure out what a Jewish Filet was the first time Phu mentioned it.
Anything to do with a bris?

Cack
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
They should just say "This is pig. Please cook low and slow in the crock pot."

Fixed it for you :thumb:

Cack
04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Why can't they just put on the packet "Pork Butt: If you don't know what that is, you don't need to be cooking it."

Either that or on every piece of meat, provide a hyperlink to type in that sends you to the Brethern.

Mo-Dave
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I know my meats pretty well. But, even I sometimes encounter something I have never heard of.

My parent's neighbor works for a restaurant supplier, and he gave me a chitload of "pork brisket steaks." In reality, it is rib tips. I had to Google and ask the brethren to find out what the fark pork brisket steaks were.

So, I wouldn't mind having some standardization in the meat naming routine.

CD

I have found pork labeled brisket, it was whole like a roast and really did not know what it was, just suspected it was a tactic to confuse some and charge higher prices at the same time, so never bought any.

I don't like spare ribs now being sold pre trimmed and sold as St Louis style ribs at better than baby back ribs prices, again methinks the same tactic apply. In the past I have bought trimmed ribs but all the trimmings except fat, were included under the ribs at the same price but have not seen that for a long time.

One last peeve, is the meat labeled as product origin from the USA or Mexico, meaning both countries of origin on the same label, you have no way of knowing where it really came from, not that I think it makes a lot of difference, just would like to know.
Dave

Gilstarr
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
A pork chop is a pork chop, I'm to old to learn anything new!!:thumb:

Wyley
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/pork-chops-now-ribeyes-u-meat-industry-renames-200036934.html

Tony A
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I am not a fan of this at all why can people just not leave well enough alone!:mad2:

nucornhusker
04-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Yep, you think they will demand more money for a pork ribeye vs. pork chop? Methinks yes.

BobM
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM
"Boston roast"? :tsk:

smokeinthenoke
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Some of these changes sound dumb, but some make sense. I would like to be able to find specific cuts of pork chops that I like better than others. They already charge different prices for them, they just don't want you to notice. Also, when I first got into BBQ I had never heard of a "pork butt" we always called them "Boston blade" roasts or sometimes later on I'd see "Boston butt." The only positive thing I can think of is that if there is more standard terminology and people know what they are looking for or become more educated about cuts of meat, then maybe stores will begin stocking more of the cuts I'm looking for. There's two sides to everything.

smokeinthenoke
04-04-2013, 11:23 PM
I disagree with the notion of "if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be cooking it." I think we should encourage people to try new things out and get more familiar with the meats/cuts we love to cook so they will become more popular and available to us. I mean, I'm sure some of the stuff we love to cook was unknown to us at some point. You gotta start somewhere. If someone said "hey, I got a boston something-or-other cause it looked interesting, what do I do with it?" I'd think it a great opportunity to teach them about proper BBQ, not say "nothing, let ME handle it, you don't know what you're doing!" We gotta suck more people in... it's like a meat religion :amen:

thirdeye
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
What I can't figure out is.....How in the #@*! is someone who doesn't know what a center cut pork loin chop is in the first place.... going to know what a Porterhouse pork chop is??? And the fact that a rib chop has the rib on it should be a dead give-away right??

The good news is... ground beef will still be ground beef, a chicken breast will still be called a breast,.... and I hope sausage is still sausage.

marubozo
04-05-2013, 12:07 AM
I think we should encourage people to try new things out and get more familiar with the meats/cuts we love to cook so they will become more popular and available to us.

I agree that people should be open to try new things and enjoy "new" cuts, but for those of us who rely on unknown/tough/cheap cuts, popularity is a killer. With popularity comes increased demand, and that means higher prices.

It wasn't all that long ago that in the beef department things like skirt steak, flank, flat iron, and around here even tri-tip, were practically free because nobody wanted them and they usually just got ground up for ground beef. Now, for better or worse, because there are so many foodies glued to food TV and see how these cuts can be used, prices have skyrocketed. For fark's sake, I'm lucky to find a skirt steak to make fajitas for much less per pound than NY strip. Five, ten years ago, you'd just ask the guy behind the meat counter for it and they'd sell it to you for a couple bucks a pound.

Be careful what you wish for. I'm not looking forward to the days of $3/lb "Boston Roasts."

RevZiLLa
04-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Well a pork ribeye should certainly cost more than a pork chop. Obviously, a pork butt is gross and not nearly as valuable as a Boston roast....

As for Denver steak, why not name the toughest part of the chuck a steak??

thirdeye
04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Well, a flatiron was always in the shoulder....but it used to be included in a chuck roast or ground up. The University of Nebraska helped to promote that cut, which gave the consumer a great steak... and raised the price per steer by $6 or so. There is also a story about a restaurant in Las Vegas that has a particular steak cut called the "Vegas Strip".

So marketing is obviously behind these two steaks, and also the driving force for the name change of the pork cuts in the article. I guess I'm confused because the same folks that supposedly can't figure out a pork chop have no problem ordering a White Chocolate Mocha Frappucino.

Wesman61
04-05-2013, 12:45 AM
As long as I'm still getting what they call rib chops at Costco I'll be happy.

Colemanchu
04-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Just show me the chunk of meat and the price, i don't need a name to tell me if they add up.

mbshop
04-05-2013, 01:17 AM
yea, they are confusing a confusing situation. and yes, i do agree that it looks like a way for them to raise prices under decieving names. just don't mess with my pork steaks.

iowasmoker
04-05-2013, 01:55 AM
I can see both sides of the situation. If you go to an old time or artisan butcher they have different names for different pork chops.... i just dont agree with combining beef and pork cuts. I mean come on "new york chop" that is laughable.

Vendinguy
04-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Is nothing sacred?

Grabnabber
04-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Geez, they oughtta rename ribeyes "beef chops" and lower the price. :tape:

Now that I wouldn't mind at all. :mrgreen:

ScreamingChicken
04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Seems to me that anyone - not necessarily a diehard griller/barbecuer - who's been buying meat for any length of time is likely able to identify many cuts by appearance and doesn't need an actual name.

Is the restaurant industry on board with this? Because if their menus remain the same the consumer's level of confusion could increase, not decrease.

At least the packages of assorted pork chops I buy will still be labeled "assorted pork chops".

thirdeye
04-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Seems to me that anyone - not necessarily a diehard griller/barbecuer - who's been buying meat for any length of time is likely able to identify many cuts by appearance and doesn't need an actual name.

Is the restaurant industry on board with this? Because if their menus remain the same the consumer's level of confusion could increase, not decrease.

At least the packages of assorted pork chops I buy will still be labeled "assorted pork chops".

Sorry, I heard they will now be called heterogeneous pork chops.

lemur
04-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Just when I've figured out the translation between US and Canadian meat cuts seems stateside is in process of renaming some cuts.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-04/meat-industry-renames-beef-pork-cuts-before-u-s-grill-season.html

Canada will most likely take a year or so to decide whether to follow suite or not and create more confusion.... I'm gonna need a farking flow chart to try to keep things straight....Boston butt > New name> Cdn pork shoulder.

Up here it wouldn't surprise me if they don't rename...the more confusion the harder it is to compare prices even with money virtually at par.

Smoking Terrapin
04-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Report I read said Boston Butt becomes Boston Roast...

FireChief
04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Wow. I know they are doing this supposedly to clear up "confusion" for the consumer but beef bottom round now becomes "merlot steak". Seriously? I think this will add a whole bunch of confusion at least initially.

Probably expensive too. Think of all the posters and such at your local grocery stores that show diagrams of popular cuts that will have to come down and new ones printed up. Yikes!

Thanks for passing along...

BB-Kuhn
04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Dumb. That is all.

Bbq Bubba
04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Outstanding! :cool:

popeye
04-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Is nothing sacred?

i just love a good butt . AND i am lucky because there is a butcher in town . hE CUTS THE MEAT AND I COOK IT .

cholloway
04-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Just do a search for "rename meat cuts"... then tell me what it's all about.
I just don't get it.

IamMadMan
04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Just do a search for "rename meat cuts"... then tell me what it's all about.
I just don't get it.

It's about creating a way to raise the prices on the uneducated consumer.

Pyle's BBQ
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
The pork and beef industry are trying to make it easier to identify meat cuts for the customer at the grocery store.

rondini
04-11-2013, 11:59 PM
easier smearie

Pyle's BBQ
04-12-2013, 01:23 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/pork-chops-now-ribeyes-u-meat-industry-renames-200036934.html

"In the beef aisle, a boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak, a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Not all names in the meat counter will change - ground beef will still be ground beef."

beercuer
04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I heard all that too. Another thing is that some folk are confused thinking that a butt roast comes from the rear end, of all the assinine things.

Gulf Coast Blue
04-12-2013, 02:22 AM
When I was in college in the 70's......skirt steaks and such were throw away meats.

Oh well......

Joel

Swine Spectator
04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I guess I'm confused because the same folks that supposedly can't figure out a pork chop have no problem ordering a White Chocolate Mocha Frappucino.

Quote of the Day!

Swine Spectator
12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Resurrecting this old thread.

I just walked out of my local grocery, leaving a basket behind for them to deal with. They recently adopted the new naming conventions for pork cuts along with new pricing.

I was looking for a pork butt. I found a "Boston Value Roast", which was a Boston Butt with a plastic pop-up turkey thermometer in it. Price $4.49/lb.

Then I moved down the counter and saw "Boston Steaks", which appeared to be slices of a butt, for the bargain price of $4.99/lb.

Country Ribs? $3.99/lb.
Center Cut Chops? $5.99/lb.

Don't screw with me, I grew up watching Bob Barker.

I drove 2 miles down the road to another grocer that hasn't lost his mind yet.

Anyone else seeing this?

David
The Swine Spectator