PDA

View Full Version : UDS Project

jgibb
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I was able to find my drums to make my t-shaped UDS!! I will be getting them (hopefully) on Sunday. My question to the group - I am fairly certain these drums will have a lining because they have had olive oil in them. How do I burn out the lining? Is there a special process or do I just lay them on their sides, start a fire inside them, and roll them until the lining is gone? I will post pics as the project progresses and I'm hoping to do as much of the work myself as I can. I've never welded before, so I'm going to have to have some professional help there. I'm following the guide of a UDS project I found online...

http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2009/12/55-gallon-drum-smoker/

This is exactly what I was looking for - the efficiency of the barrel with enough space to hold a ton of meat.

So...Step 1 - prep my barrels... Wish me luck and I'll take all the advice I can get. :pray:

smokainmuskoka
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Most burn a couple of broken down wooden shipping pallets in the drum with the end that will serve as the open top removed, if it isn't an open top type drum to begin with. after that the inside gets wire-wheeled out to remove residue, then washed out, some use isopropyl alcohol.
Since your doing that "T" design, I'm not sure if you have the option to open the end of the drum that will serve as the "crossbar" of the "T".
Other folks burn the drums out with a propane weed torch applied the the drum exterior.
You should find more suggestions using the google custom search near the bottom of the webpage.

Johnny_Crunch
04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Drill your intake holes and throw some cut up pallets in it and let it rip. Just hope you get it hot enough to burn it off. You can also use a weed burner from the outside that will melt it all off. If they have the dreaded red liner I don't have any advice for you other than find some that don't. It is very hard to remove.

Johnny_Crunch
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
If you cut a hole the same size as the file you linked did the efficiency of the barrel is going to disappear if you don't seal the hell out of that opening and the top. Barrels are efficient because of how air tight they are.

Daggs
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Spend a little more and get some better barrels or buy some new ones. You can get some new ones pretty cheap too.

Chief_USN
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I've never welded before, so I'm going to have to have some professional help there

I said the same thing. However, I went and started doing research on YT and found some very informative videos on how to weld. I ended up buying the cheap 90A Flux Core welder from Harbor Freight and basically taught myself how to weld on my UDS build. It's an art and practice is key but if you have any type of mechanical ability dealing with hand/eye coordination like soldering or even airbrushing, then welding is not that tough. Anything I add to my UDS, I see if there is a way to weld it. It's a very enjoyable and rewarding skill to have. I feel like my DIY capabilities have gone through the roof now.

http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Chief_USN/library/#/user/Chief_USN/library/UDS%20Smoker%20Build?page=1 (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Chief_USN/library/#/user/Chief_USN/library/UDS%20Smoker%20Build?page=1)

Chad

jgibb
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I do a lot of soldering for work. I was very curious about welding. I thought about getting my own and playing around with it.

jgibb
04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Now another question...would I be better off just doing two upright UDS's? I keep bouncing back and forth. I have no idea what color lining they have - I won't see them until Sunday - a bit of a ruse getting them from a friend of a friend.

Neonnblack
04-04-2013, 06:27 PM
A very well made, planned out T could be better. That said i would probably do two uprights.

Daggs
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I vote for 2 uprights! You have so many different options and cooking temps all at the same time.