PDA

View Full Version : Collecting briqs

ButtBurner
04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Ok I consider myself a bit of a lump snob.

But now I have an interest in a good natural briq for my coal base in my offset since the lump burns pretty fast...

Yesterday, I bought my first bag of Stubbs, thought I would give it a try this weekend

Then today I go to Trader Joes after work to pick up some fish for the grill for dinner, what do I see???

A brand new pallet of their own briqs, which I have never tried either, the Trader Joes is brand new in my area.

So a bag of that jumped in my shopping cart too

Oh then I stopped at Gordons Foods and picked up a nice little brisket, the briqs will need someone to play with this weekend

:wink:

flyingbassman5
04-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Nice! I've heard good things about the TJ brand briqs. Never actually used them though...

I'm a Stubbs guy myself so I'm biased towards those. I think you'll like 'em. :thumb:

DownHomeQue
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
i use Kbb or Ozark oak in my stickburner... but the charcoals are long gone before i do any cooking.. i use about a 4th of a bag to get her warmed up then straight logs..

mbshop
04-03-2013, 03:56 PM
the trader joe stuff is made by rancher . was always thought of highly. can't go wrong with it.

ButtBurner
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
i use Kbb or Ozark oak in my stickburner... but the charcoals are long gone before i do any cooking.. i use about a 4th of a bag to get her warmed up then straight logs..

LOL I have an idea

how about I put my cooker inside yours so when you heat yours up mine will be hot too?

It would fit inside real nice

Vision
04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Yea, I've probably got about 5- 10 brands in the garage.

ButtBurner
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Yea, I've probably got about 5- 10 brands in the garage.

you are lucky

I have no where near that selection in my area

ButtBurner
04-03-2013, 06:30 PM
the Stubbs worked fine on tonight's dinny. Kind of strange, no smell from it like KBB

Harbormaster
04-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Kind of strange, no smell from it like KBB
That's why I use natural briqs.

If you have a DoIt Best hardware store nearby, you can order 40 lb bags of Royal Oak Chefs Select natural briqs and ship to store for free. Great charcoal.

ButtBurner
04-04-2013, 06:09 AM
That's why I use natural briqs.

If you have a DoIt Best hardware store nearby, you can order 40 lb bags of Royal Oak Chefs Select natural briqs and ship to store for free. Great charcoal.

thanks. I will keep that in mind for a back up. as of now, Stubbs and Trader Joes is easy for me to get.

stl-rich
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
In STL Trader Joe brix from Rancher are about the only 100% natural brix that are normally priced less than 50 cents per pound, which is real nice :grin: