PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky on Big Green Egg

jburch3
04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm getting ready for my first go at beef jerky on my BGE. I had my butcher cut me three pounds of London Broil in strips for jerky, and I've had it marinating for about 12 hours. I know I need to dry it with paper towels before smoking and I know I need to do low and slow, but don't know much beyond that.

What temp? I've read 150 all the way to 250. Roughly how long? I've read 4-8 hours (guess it depends on temp). Looking for recommendations from your experience. Finally, and most importantly, shelf life and storage tips. How long is shelf life for homemade jerky without preservatives, etc? Should I store in fridge or can it sit at room temp?

Dat'L Grill
04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Check this from Naked Whiz
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm)
The other thing I do is lay out the strips on cooling racks let the Jerky strips dry in the fridge 12+ hours ( after marinating) I also went to a dry rub instead of the wet method.

The length of time is the key to the dryness. I do not go the real long times for I like the mid range chewiness. It never last anyway kids love it for School Snack and it's a great item for friends.

jburch3
04-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for providing the link. It seems very complicated, though! I don't have half of the equipment it recommends. I will definitely incorporate your advice and the link's advice as best I can. When it comes to the amount of coal in my fire box, is it okay to start with an amount well below the fire ring? This coffee can method, for instance, suggests using a much smaller load of coal; but I have always heard to start with a full load.... what are your thoughts on this?

beercuer
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Jburch, beef jerky is one of my specialties. I can share with you just my experience. First, if you are going with a wet cure, let the meat marinate for a full 24 hours (especially if you are not using Tenderquick ). You[ll want full penetration of the cure. Yes, then you press out all the moisture you can. I begin with a small load of briquets and use hickory chips in a foiled pouch for smoking. Never, let the temp go higher than 170-- You'll wind up cooking it instead of "drying it out." 150 is ideal. Drying times vary. They don't all get done at once. But if your average slice is about 1/8 thick, figure a total time of about 8 hours. As for storage, I've always kept mine in the fridge, so I cannot testify as to shelf life. Just one reporter's experience.

Dat'L Grill
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes a small amount of coal. I would guess 12- 14 lumps. Like beercuer states to hot and it will cook. Keep and eye on it. Everyone likes different texture. If in doubt pull one piece let it cool and do a taste test. I think I like mine anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. (Thickness runs the show) I run Oak and Hickory, Cherry and Hickory. And even Maple. The combos are endless.

jburch3
04-04-2013, 08:40 AM
It turned out great! Ended up doing about 6 hours. Had to relight my fire 2 times though. No big deal. I may have pulled the jerky off a little early, as most pieces had a slight glisten about them (perhaps there was still some moisture?). However, I let it all sit in a tupperware container in the fridge over night, and this morning there wasn't a sign of moisture. Delicious! Thanks for the tips. Beercuer--how long has yours lasted when kept in the fridge? I think I'll eat it all within the next two days, but I'm just curious. Would it last up to 4 or 5 days?

beercuer
04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
It turned out great! Ended up doing about 6 hours. Had to relight my fire 2 times though. No big deal. I may have pulled the jerky off a little early, as most pieces had a slight glisten about them (perhaps there was still some moisture?). However, I let it all sit in a tupperware container in the fridge over night, and this morning there wasn't a sign of moisture. Delicious! Thanks for the tips. Beercuer--how long has yours lasted when kept in the fridge? I think I'll eat it all within the next two days, but I'm just curious. Would it last up to 4 or 5 days?

Most of the time, my batches last about two days, like you (because it gets consumed so fast). However, I do remember having a supply last me a full week. So, I'm pretty certain yours will last as well. Congratulations, Jburch!-- Yeah, there ain't no comparison between homemade and store bought!

The glisten is all right. The ideal is to get the jerky so you can bend it without breaking, but not so moist that you are aware of that in the taste-- excepting the mouthwatering going on. :-D