PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about cooking spare ribs

Plaid Palace
04-03-2013, 06:00 AM
1. I have never cooked using a rib rack nor have I ever cooked more than 1 slab at a time. Will cooking with a rack or cooking 2 slabs at a time affect my cook time on my Kamado Joe?

2. How long do you let ribs rest after they are finished? Trying to cook some wings as soon as the ribs are finished.

code3rrt
04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
I don't have a kamado Joe, but I wouldn't think that it would affect your cook times. As for the wings, the ribs should rest just fine while the wings are cooking. Just cover the ribs with foil and throw a thick towel over the top of them, will still be hot when the wings are done.

KC

Plaid Palace
04-03-2013, 06:12 AM
I don't have a kamado Joe, but I wouldn't think that it would affect your cook times. As for the wings, the ribs should rest just fine while the wings are cooking. Just cover the ribs with foil and throw a thick towel over the top of them, will still be hot when the wings are done.

KC

Well I like to cook wings indirect and normally at around 300-350 it takes about an hour. Would the ribs still be warm and good giving the wings that long? If not, I can always go direct and cook the wings quicker.

Harbormaster
04-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Matt,
If you wrap those ribs up in foil and towels and put them in a good cooler (try to eliminate as much air space as you can), they'll stay hot for well over an hour.
You should be fine.
Have a great cook.

Plaid Palace
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the help.

Depending on how much room I have after the ribs go on I will likely finish the ribs then place the wings on (still indirect) to cook.

mattkins99
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I use rib racks when I do big BBQs (charity events for 100+ people) and it doesn't seem to impact my cooking times from when I'm doing smaller BBQs at home. That said even when doing smaller BBQs at home, I invite friends over and never do less than 2 racks

BB-Kuhn
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Shouldn't matter - if its just two slabs, use the rack with spacing - not right next to each other and it shouldn't take more than 10% more time

smokinrack
04-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Dont have a Kamodo Joe but cook ribs a lot on my akorn and just recently started using a rack so I dont have to cut them down to fit. The cooking times about the same weather I do one rack or three.

Your probably aware of this but its something I overlooked once:icon_blush:
While foiling your ribs and getting the chicken on the grill if your KJ is anything like my akorn keep the lid closed as much as possible in between or you will wind up cooking your chicken over a much larger fire than you want, all that fresh air really kicks your fire up fast:mad2:

Texas Turtle
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
When I use the rib racks on the offset it seems to take a bit less time than laying flat on the grate. On the WSM I don't see any noticeable difference.