PDA

View Full Version : Does putting your rub on your brisket affect it in any way?

Mattlsmith
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
All I want to get my brisket on early tomorrow morning. Does taking it out of the cryo and putting the rub on it the night before affect the taste in any way?

savageford
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
It depends on the salt ratio of the rub. My rub has a low salt ratio and I always put it on the night before and it works for me. I am no expert and I'm sure there will be others with more detailed explanations. Good luck.

JS-TX
04-02-2013, 10:31 PM
No effect for me, other than a salty rub will "enhance" your smoke ring. A brisket is too thick of a meat for some rub to affect it IMO.

Bludawg
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Don't really matter on a brisket, I usually do my prep wilt the pit is warming up if I'm just cooking 1.

landarc
04-02-2013, 10:58 PM
I am with Bludawg, mostly because it is time efficient, I prep the brisket during the hour or so that my cooker is coming to temperature. But, I have done it overnight, and that worked out fine as well.

BobM
04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Comes out the same to my tastes.

BigBellyBBQ
04-03-2013, 12:59 AM
I have done 2 days before, 2 minutes before..and not much different..meat too dense..however for comps I try to do a few hours before

Soonerman71
04-03-2013, 05:01 AM
I always put the rub on while the smoker is warming up. I have rubbed them the day before, but nobody could really tell a difference.

ButtBurner
04-03-2013, 06:10 AM
I take it out of the cyro, trim and rub while the smoker is warming up

I would rather do it this way than the night before, because if something came up and I could not smoke it when planned, its not sitting in the fridge with rub on it

things happen around my house and sometimes stuff does not go as planned LOL

luke duke
04-03-2013, 08:14 AM
a salty rub will "enhance" your smoke ring.

:confused:

willbird
04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
One of my early ones I used Montreal Steak seasoning, a LOT of it, well right about when I got it rubbed the sky opened up, and I only had a flat lid for the UDS, so I had to toss it in the fridge overnight, all that salt in the Montreal made for a REALLY salty brisket with somewhat of a cure on the outer portions. One of the worst Briskets I have done so far.

Just off hand from a fairly neophyte POV your rub should be tailored to setting on the raw brisket, I would not count on a "good" rub recipe and application for on the briekst and in the pit to work out for "rub and toss in the fridge over night".

Just my .02.