PDA

View Full Version : Another Way to Cure Salmon

bbqbull
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Found this on a the Homestead Survival Site!
Thoughts???

http://georgiapellegrini.com/2010/03/01/recipes/how-to-cure-salmon-and-other-fatty-fish/

Garth57
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks great. Will be trying it this weekend. Just cooked a couple salmon fillets on the weber as part of our Easter Dinner.

BevoBurn96
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I'll have to give that a try. I've always just thrown a piece of salmon on the smoker when cooking other things.

Meat Burner
04-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Bull, it looks worth giving a try. I have always used Thirdeye's cure which sure is good. Now I'm needing to smoke some salmon!!

landarc
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
My sister has cured salmon in this manner, it works fine. A colder smoke with alder or similar wood adds a nice character if you like smoked salmon.

bigabyte
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
This seems very similar to the method I use, although I tend to just use salt and sugar (not packed as thick and cured in the fridge for 18 hours) with no spices in the cure, and apply any spices to the meat before going on to the smoker. I smoke most of the salmon, but save some for eating right away, and maybe the next day if it can last that long. It is firm when cured...but probably not AS firm as done that way with THAT much cure and cured at room temp for two days.

I also tend to bust out my Excalibur dehydrator for the air drying portion to form the pellicle, turning the knob just enough so that the fan starts blowing but without producing any heat.

Oh, take some of the salmon you are going to smoke, and after forming the pellicle brush on some maple syrup just prior to seasoning (if any) and putting on the smoker. It's really damn good.:thumb:

Really...in the end...it's kinda the same process...sorta. This one doesn't use refrigeration and replaces that with a lot of extra cure.

OK, I'll shut my yap now. I'm starting to get all blabby.

martyleach
04-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I am currently doing Thirdeye's version of a cold smoked lox. It will be done tomorrow. did taste good tonight but I haven't smoked it yet. His is a shorter dry cure with a 10-12 hour wet cure. Here's the link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2292536&postcount=1

smokinrack
04-03-2013, 05:04 AM
This seems very similar to the method I use, although I tend to just use salt and sugar (not packed as thick and cured in the fridge for 18 hours) with no spices in the cure, and apply any spices to the meat before going on to the smoker. I smoke most of the salmon, but save some for eating right away, and maybe the next day if it can last that long. It is firm when cured...but probably not AS firm as done that way with THAT much cure and cured at room temp for two days.

I also tend to bust out my Excalibur dehydrator for the air drying portion to form the pellicle, turning the knob just enough so that the fan starts blowing but without producing any heat.

Oh, take some of the salmon you are going to smoke, and after forming the pellicle brush on some maple syrup just prior to seasoning (if any) and putting on the smoker. It's really damn good.:thumb:

Really...in the end...it's kinda the same process...sorta. This one doesn't use refrigeration and replaces that with a lot of extra cure.

OK, I'll shut my yap now. I'm starting to get all blabby.

I have done it pretty much the way you just described on catfish and northern pike with good results.Havent tried salmon, you need to take out a bank loan here to afford it :crazy: