PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy comp meats - Georgia

J&B'sBBQ
04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
We buy at Costco (mainly) if we're buying for ourselves, and we have a local meat market that we get really good meats from but they do not always carry everything we're looking for. Are there any suggestions on where to buy meat for competitions in the Georgia area?

MattG
04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Rib's and Butts at Sam's Club or RD. But I buy brisket from The Meat Mart in Conyers. Chicken at Publix.

J&B'sBBQ
04-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Rib's and Butts at Sam's Club or RD. But I buy brisket from The Meat Mart in Conyers. Chicken at Publix.

I thought you needed a membership (business license) to buy at RD?

Jason TQ
04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I thought you needed a membership (business license) to buy at RD?

A KCBS membership will get you a day pass and there isn't a limit on it. Definitely worth the $35 fee KCBS charges for memebership. I get butts, brisket, ribs, parsley there. Then chicken is from Sams or Costco.

J&B'sBBQ
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
A KCBS membership will get you a day pass and there isn't a limit on it. Definitely worth the $35 fee KCBS charges for memebership. I get butts, brisket, ribs, parsley there. Then chicken is from Sams or Costco.

We will have to check out RD for sure then! I didn't know we could shop there, so thank you. We've been shopping at Wilkes Meat Market in Suwanee, and have loved what he gets, but he doesn't always carry the full selection and we want to make sure we're getting the best for our money. :-D

Mooney
04-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Meat mart in Conyers is a good choice. I have used them many times. Just call ahead, and they can get you anyhting you need. Also there is a local farm in Rutledge, Ga that buy some from. They have Berkshire pork there.

Jason TQ
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
We will have to check out RD for sure then! I didn't know we could shop there, so thank you. We've been shopping at Wilkes Meat Market in Suwanee, and have loved what he gets, but he doesn't always carry the full selection and we want to make sure we're getting the best for our money. :-D

My first year competing I got some stuff from Wilkes. They are nice there, but prices are higher than the other stores (especially brisket/ribs) and they don't always have what I'm looking for.

The RD in Norcross is definitely worth checking out. The only thing I don't get there is my chicken since I'm not buying 40lbs of thighs :becky:.