PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer, meal build pics or just plated pics?

VA-Dave
04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
This is my first poll, but I really am curious to know what peoples preferences are.

Personally, taking pics, downloading them, re-sizing them, uploading them to PB and then linking them to the BBQ Brethren is a major PITA if the effort isn't appreciated.

If it is preferred by the Brethren, then I say ever forward.

Dave

martyleach
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
If you were asking a question, it was not clear. If you were ranting, it was. Photobucket does not take much time and if you have multiple pics it is really pretty easy. Try it!

Ron_L
04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
My pet peeve is folks who just post a picture without any detail. I can see pictures on Photobucket. I'm here to learn from everyone. It doesn't have to be a full pictorial every time, but for more complicated dishes that is nice. But, I do like the details of the cook, recipe, etc.

landarc
04-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I voted for detailed photos. But, truth is, some folks are just not good with photos, or don't own a good camera. What I want most is details of the cook. I really appreciate people who share their knowledge with the forum.

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 11:15 PM
More is better!

Igotgas
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Looks like it is a landslide victory for details: Becky: I too voted for the full on post.

bigabyte
04-01-2013, 11:23 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Some of my posts may just have too many words.

caseydog
04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
I like to see build shots -- within reason. I don't need to see 30 pictures of the building of a pulled pork sammich. But, I do like to see pr0n that tells me the story of what went on.

However, if you hit the "Quote" button, you do have the option of editing. I do not need to see the same 30 pictures again. I really don't need to see the same 30 pictures three or four times.

So, yes, I love to look at cook pr0n -- but once is enough.

CD

beercuer
04-02-2013, 02:40 AM
I appreciate all that you say and your sentiments, Dave. In fact, I'd rather negative feedback than be lurked upon by the hit and runners. It's easy for one to lose heart or motivation for posting.

I came from a forum, once that was thriving big time that is now a ghost town, all because folks interacted less and less, lurked more, and gradually most all lost heart and left. Lurkers are the poisonous curse of every forum in my arsessment.

code3rrt
04-02-2013, 02:53 AM
I, like many others, love the details. I'm always asking for "recipes please". I very much like to share my cooks, but when I see something that I would like to try, the more details the better. So.....yes, give me the whole build!

KC

Titch
04-02-2013, 02:53 AM
I prefer the full Build pictures,some people ,like me,Are able to explain a Cook with pictures better than the written work.

VoodoChild
04-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Anyone ever Smoked a Lurker ? or a Lurk ? :arrow::wacko::blah: Sorry !

I have learned alot from all kinds of pics on here so I like alot ..Well Within reason.
Actually Ive learned a tremendous amount from the pics on here from what certain foods/meals look like to alot of things Ive never seen or heard of .

jonboy
04-02-2013, 05:56 AM
The more detail you put into your cook and posts...the more you will appreciate what everyone else does.:cool:
Think about all the effort pitmaster t does with his videos.(Love or Hate him, you have to appreciate the work he puts in.)
There are some excellent photo tutorials posted also. They will open your eyes to a lot more than bbq.
jon

Freddy j
04-02-2013, 06:05 AM
I like to see the build pics. I get a lot out of seeing all your cooking equipment, techniques, etc

IamMadMan
04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
The build pictures are fine as long as they keep to the building and not just filling space with pictures. In the end the final plated picture is where we end with our eyes.

dwfisk
04-02-2013, 06:23 AM
I voted for detail. Like most here, I really enjoy the opportunity to learn something new so seeing how folks put together a recipe and a meal is really helpful. In the end, if someone takes the time to post the documentation and photos, I'm gonna take the time to look and maybe learn something, even if its just a 1/2 chicken finishing upon the grill. Now that I think about it, a 1/2 chicken on the WSJ sounds pretty good, maybe lunch?

Whistler
04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Voted for details, I enjoy the build pics and find inspiration there. Post pics, keep it fun!

Johnny_Crunch
04-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Give me pr0n or give me death!

TIMMAY
04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Looking at others amazing pron motivates me to really take the time to get better at picture taking. I now look at it like if I want to document the cook, I need to go the full 9 or not do it at all for that cook. However, sometimes I dont mind just doing a nice plated pic. If that makes any sense. Also aspiring to get a better camera. Maybe December.

VA-Dave
04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
If you were asking a question, it was not clear. If you were ranting, it was. Photobucket does not take much time and if you have multiple pics it is really pretty easy. Try it!

Sorry Marty, re-reading it, it does sound like a rant, but it wasn't my intent.

I know that we ultimately want to see the "money shot" and I guess a better question would have been:

"Do most of you scroll past the build pics and go straight to the plated pic?"

I love to see the whole build, so I try to post as much as I can when I post a build (without it being redundant).

I don't have any issues using Photo Bucket, although I don't understand why the pictures don't index alphabetically, I think my process is off. Feel free to point out anything you think I'm doing wrong, but here is what I do:

1) Take 3 pics of each shot (in case one is blurred or the angle is wrong)

2) Plug the camera into my laptop and place them in a folder

3) I take the best one of the 3 I took for each shot and re-size it to 800 x 600 using Microsoft Picture Manager.

4) Create a library on Photo Bucket and upload the pics.

5) Link them to the post.

My last pr0n post was 15 or so pictures and a lot of that was layering, coatings, etc. The objective of the poll was to determine whether or not I was putting people to sleep by doing so.

Thanks for the feedback.

(PS Marty, I love your Pastrami posts, thanks for sharing them)

Dave

Gore
04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
My pet peeve is folks who just post a picture without any detail. I can see pictures on Photobucket. I'm here to learn from everyone. It doesn't have to be a full pictorial every time, but for more complicated dishes that is nice. But, I do like the details of the cook, recipe, etc.

Really couldn't have said it any better, so I'm not going to comment at all. :becky:

Gore
04-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Sorry Marty, re-reading it, it does sound like a rant, but it wasn't my intent.

I know that we ultimately want to see the "money shot" and I guess a better question would have been:

"Do most of you scroll past the build pics and go straight to the plated pic?"

I love to see the whole build, so I try to post as much as I can when I post a build (without it being redundant).

I don't have any issues using Photo Bucket, although I don't understand why the pictures don't index alphabetically, I think my process is off. Feel free to point out anything you think I'm doing wrong, but here is what I do:

1) Take 3 pics of each shot (in case one is blurred or the angle is wrong)

2) Plug the camera into my laptop and place them in a folder

3) I take the best one of the 3 I took for each shot and re-size it to 800 x 600 using Microsoft Picture Manager.

4) Create a library on Photo Bucket and upload the pics.

5) Link them to the post.

My last pr0n post was 15 or so pictures and a lot of that was layering, coatings, etc. The objective of the poll was to determine whether or not I was putting people to sleep by doing so.

Thanks for the feedback.

(PS Marty, I love your Pastrami posts, thanks for sharing them)

Dave

You can save a little time in step 2. You can open a folder and read your camera's memory card like a separate drive, view them, and copy them into photobucket directly.

You can eliminate step 3 altogether. Photobucket will resize them automatically on upload. When you click to upload, there is a link on the upper right of the screen that says, "Customize Upload Options" If you click on this, you can select your default size and photobucket will resize everything to this size.

Those two steps should eliminate 80% of the work.

TIMMAY
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I can see how the process one takes to get the pics from camera to internet can be a hassle. Heh, I take majority of my pics with my phone, I post em to FB from the phone, save the pics to my computer, then photobucket, then to the thread.

VA-Dave
04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
You can save a little time in step 2. You can open a folder and read your camera's memory card like a separate drive, view them, and copy them into photobucket directly.

You can eliminate step 3 altogether. Photobucket will resize them automatically on upload. When you click to upload, there is a link on the upper right of the screen that says, "Customize Upload Options" If you click on this, you can select your default size and photobucket will resize everything to this size.

Those two steps should eliminate 80% of the work.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping you or CD would critique my process. I knew I had to be doing something wrong.

You're right, 80%.

Dave

Gore
04-02-2013, 09:15 AM

I was hoping you or CD would critique my process. I knew I had to be doing something wrong.

You're right, 80%.

Dave

Don't know why you'd think I'd know anything. CD is the smart one who knows cameras. Most of my still lifes come out as action shots. :becky:

Actually, it might be more than 80% if you have a lot of pictures 'cause resizing them is the killer. If Photobucket didn't do this automatically, I probably wouldn't even bother posting.

VA-Dave
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Don't know why you'd think I'd know anything. CD is the smart one who knows cameras. Most of my still lifes come out as action shots. :becky:

Actually, it might be more than 80% if you have a lot of pictures 'cause resizing them is the killer. If Photobucket didn't do this automatically, I probably wouldn't even bother posting.

I've picked up some really good tips from CD. He's the reason I bought the tripod.

It took me longer to resize the pictures Sunday night than it did to cook the food.

Dave

HookedOnQ
04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I will have to agree on build pics there are things to be learned from build pics. Although plated pics are great not so much can be learned from them

fingerlickin'
04-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I've never re-sized a photo.

I take out my SD card, stick it in my computer, download the pics to Picassa where I can view them and I write down only the one's I want to use in my post. It's much easier to navigate between photo's on Picassa then on PB to determine which one's to use.

There's even a new feature where you can view 2 pics side by side to decide which one you like better. That way I don't have to upload all of the pics I took to photobucket.

That makes it easier when it comes time to make the actual post here on the brethren. I've already taken the time to decide which photo's I'm going to use, so when I assemble my usual blabbermouth, run on post with way too many photos, it's a piece of cake. :wink: :-D

Edit: To the OP's original question. I much prefer dialog along with the photo's. An exceptional photo can make an impact and get responses, but inevitably, one of them is always, "tell us what you did here." So I say skip the drama and just tell us from the jump.

Ron_L
04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Most of the time I use my iPhone to take the pictures so I just upload to Photobucket from their app on my phone.

BobM
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Details, gimme the details!

caseydog
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM

You're right, 80%.

Dave

I use an entirely different method, so I can't help you much.

I resize my photos in Photoshop, because it is what I have on my Macs. I then load them into my photo albums right on this forum. I'm curious why it seems that most people use Photobucket, instead of making photo albums on the forum.

CD

tish
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Although I, myself, am terrible at taking photos of my own food, I love it when I see build posts with beautiful photos and detailed explanations. Maybe I appreciate them so much because I know how hard it is for me to take a quality photo.

Carbon
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I like to see the raw meat and the money shot, and anything in-between. :)

landarc
04-02-2013, 01:09 PM
CD, I use Photobucket because I use the images for my blog as well, and it is easier to source them from PB to my blog. Although, my blog links seamlessly to another photo sharing site, this forum does not, so I do not use that site, as then I have to reword my blog photos when I post here.

I have taken to posting my entire blog posts here, which I realize is not necessary, but, I have become increasingly irritated with having to go 'off-world' to see posts to explain what I am looking at in a post. I realize that many people with blogs value the traffic, either for money or for popularity of their blogs. But, of late, if I see that I need to click 'off-world' I just pass on.

deguerre
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I use an entirely different method, so I can't help you much.

I resize my photos in Photoshop, because it is what I have on my Macs. I then load them into my photo albums right on this forum. I'm curious why it seems that most people use Photobucket, instead of making photo albums on the forum.

CD

Because once you've used up your storage allotment, you can't upload any more? I haven't been able to upload directly to my albums in over two years now, and deleting images from those albums didn't help because they had been reposted elsewhere, I think.

fingerlickin'
04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Most of the time I use my iPhone to take the pictures so I just upload to Photobucket from their app on my phone.

I do that too if I'm only posting one or two pics of say a bag of charcoal at the store or a license plate that says "spamluvr" or something. I do hope Phil can resolve the tapatalk difficulties soon, it's killing my buzz.

RevZiLLa
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Gotta have both

MrSlayer
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
This is my first poll, but I really am curious to know what peoples preferences are.

Personally, taking pics, downloading them, re-sizing them, uploading them to PB and then linking them to the BBQ Brethren is a major PITA if the effort isn't appreciated.

If it is preferred by the Brethren, then I say ever forward.

Dave

I like both. If you want to get all elaborate and fancy, that's great. If you just want to show the meat (which is the most important thing), that's also fine.

I'm ambivalent. :whip:

Gnaws on Pigs
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I greatly prefer to see details of the cook, as one of the main reasons I enjoy this forum is learning from all of you. I will learn something from most cook threads. But as Caseydog said, keep it within reason-I have no desire to look at five photos of someone chopping the lettuce for their hamburger. And people including fifteen photos in their quotes is a pet peeve of mine too-some of us have slow DSL connections and it takes long enough to load the page with just the original photos, much less, the same photos quoted into seven other posts.

Kloogee
04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
The step by step detailed pics are the reason I'm in this forum. If I only see a plated pic and nothing else, I generally skip to the next thread.

Photobucket's auto-resize feature is a blessing. I do almost all of my posting and reading from my iPad, so the photobucket app is great for selecting pics and getting its IMG tag.

---k---
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I have taken to posting my entire blog posts here, which I realize is not necessary, but, I have become increasingly irritated with having to go 'off-world' to see posts to explain what I am looking at in a post. I realize that many people with blogs value the traffic, either for money or for popularity of their blogs. But, of late, if I see that I need to click 'off-world' I just pass on.

I appreciate you posting your full blog entry here. People posting just a snippit or video is becoming an ever increasing pet peeve of mine. This is my community. I don't have time to go to all the various blogs.

Budman1
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Not having as much experience as most of you, I like the details. The more I can learn, the happier I am.

chriscw81
04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
the more pics the better. i'm here to soak up knowledge from other brethren, though. so, i can deal without the pics if he/she posts details.

firefighter4634
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
For me it depends on the meal. If it is something I have not done before then more is better along with details on the cook. For more common cooks a few nice pics of the finished product is great. I also agree with CD, no need to see the same pics over n over.

Tonybel
04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
I like to see the raw meat and the money shot, and anything in-between. :)

Ditto what Carbon said.

CharredApron
04-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Give me the full Monte! Everything, the more the better. We all learn from others. We can't taste, so I want to see everything. Even though, what you see, is not always what you get...PrOn peekers beware. There are imitations out there, those that seek to trick you. Beware, The Shadow Knows!
Jed