PDA

View Full Version : Favorite lump for kamado style cooker?

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I have been trying to find a good lump hardwood charcoal for my Vision Kamado. I have tried an all natural brand from my local grocery. 8.8 lb bag for $ 5.99 a bag, and another similar brand from another market around me. Same size bag but for $ 7.99 a bag. They both burn too fast and I end up having to add coals during a long smoke. What do you use? and why?

Chef Jim
04-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I use Royal Oak when I want lump. Easy to find but I find lump seems to run hotter that bricks.

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
A full load of lump should last you well over 15 hours on a low and slow cook on your Vision. Are you starting with a full firebox load?

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior burns loooooong! My favorite for long cooks. Royal Oak is good too.

Pyle's BBQ
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I use the RO green bag, RO red bag when I have to go to Walmart. Why are you saying it burns too fast? How much are you putting in your cooker? At what temp are you cooking?

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
A full load of lump should last you well over 15 hours on a low and slow cook on your Vision. Are you starting with a full firebox load?

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior burns loooooong! My favorite for long cooks. Royal Oak is good too.
That would be defined by what you call a full firebox load. I put the lump in just over the vents on the side and 1/2 a chimney to start it. Thats about half a 8.8 lb bag

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I use the RO green bag, RO red bag when I have to go to Walmart. Why are you saying it burns too fast? How much are you putting in your cooker? At what temp are you cooking?
half a bag and cooking at about 250 degrees

Pyle's BBQ
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I forgot to ask, how long before you have to reload?

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Full firebox as in the recommended max level that Vision says. I now see that you have no firering, I dont know what that max level is. 4lbs of lump sounds very little to me.

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Ok, Vision makes a single piece firering/box combination. Most kamados use 2 pieces. So that's what had me a bit confused. You want to fill it up to where I marked it off, that would be max level.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/SmoothSmoke/2012-04-1411-34-59298-L.jpg

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Ok, Vision makes a single piece firering/box combination. Most kamados use 2 pieces. So that's what had me a bit confused. You want to fill it up to where I marked it off, that would be max level.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/SmoothSmoke/2012-04-1411-34-59298-L.jpg
I have filled it to approximately that level and it was very hard to control the heat with that much fuel. Could be that i have the Pro III eries and I get a great deal of leakage around the ash dump tray.

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Something isn't adding up. If you filled to that level, that would easily be way more than 4lbs of lump.

What temp are you cooking at, and how many hours can you sustain that temp before you run out?

Smoothsmoke
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Also, a half chimney of lump for a low and slow is too much. Try starting your fire with a weber paraffin cube instead of the chimney. All you need is a small fire to sustain 250F for hours.

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Something isn't adding up. If you filled to that level, that would easily be way more than 4lbs of lump.

What temp are you cooking at, and how many hours can you sustain that temp before you run out?
Temps range between 250-300 with the 4 lbs of lump about 4 hours.
I may have confused you when I stated that " I have filled it to approximately that level and it was very hard to control the heat with that much fuel. Could be that i have the Pro III series and I get a great deal of leakage around the ash dump tray.

That much fuel meaning nearly a whole bag, it did burn longer as you expect.

Pyle's BBQ
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
If you are getting too much air leakage, it would be hard to control temps also. I cook on an Akorn that has an 18" cooking grate. I use about 3 lbs per cook and get about 10 hours from that. Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? Like Smoothsmoke said start with a small fire and let it build. It may take longer to get to temp but you will get a longer burn. After I have a small fire going in the Akorn, I put the meat on and let everything come up to temp at the same time. I feel it gives the meat extra time to absorb smoke.

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
If you are getting too much air leakage, it would be hard to control temps also. I cook on an Akorn that has an 18" cooking grate. I use about 3 lbs per cook and get about 10 hours from that. Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? Like Smoothsmoke said start with a small fire and let it build. It may take longer to get to temp but you will get a longer burn. After I have a small fire going in the Akorn, I put the meat on and let everything come up to temp at the same time. I feel it gives the meat extra time to absorb smoke.
Thanks Bryan, I don't rely on the thermometer on the dome, I put my Taylor digital in between the lid so that I am measuring the temp at the grill level and not the dome. The factory thermo is off calibration.

millsy
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Just to let you know I use this stuff at $11.99 a 18 lb bag

CharredApron
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Don't think that is available in Florida, although I have done some work for NB Tel, in the past. They were not into Q at the time!

millsy
04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't think that is available in Florida, although I have done some work for NB Tel, in the past. They were not into Q at the time!
I bet it would be hard to find down there and NB Tel is no longer.Bell bought them out a few years back.

HogFan
04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Ozark Oak, $5 for a 10lb bag and it's great!

Bgoods
04-02-2013, 12:07 AM
The Good One lump is fantastic. Much better than RO in my KJ, I get around 20 odd hours of cook time out of a fill.highly recommend

smokinrack
04-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Also, a half chimney of lump for a low and slow is too much. Try starting your fire with a weber paraffin cube instead of the chimney. All you need is a small fire to sustain 250F for hours.

+1 on that. I cook nearly every day on mine and have only used about 24 lbs of lump in almost 2 months.Ive several long cooks Butts and brisket and a lot of 5 or 6 hour rib cooks.

I also take time to stack my charcoal instead of dumping it in line the bottom near the rack with big pieces and go up from there, make a pyramid out of it then leave a little depression in the top to put the starter cube in I actually cut the cubes in half..When the cube lights I bet I dont have more than half a dozen pieces of lump burning at the top when I shut the lid and it will burn much more slowly down the pile.You should be able to stabilize it at your desired temp in 15-20 minutes and cook most of the day on a couple lbs of lump.Thats what ive found works best in my akorn anyway, takes a little longer to set up and get cooking on but it sure makes the rest of my day easier:mrgreen:

Gnaws on Pigs
04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
The best I've found without mail-ordering is the red bag Royal Oak at Walmart-about $6 a bag. I think you're strting way, way, way too big of a fire for a long cook. In my Akorn, I've never used over 3 lbs. of lump for a 12-hour cook, and always have some left over for the next cook. I use half of one of those starter cubes in the center of the pile (a full one is too much for a 250* cook) to light the fire and put maybe two chunks of lump over it after it's lit. I probably never have over two-three pieces of lump burning at a time all day if I'm cooking in the 250*-275 range.