PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new smoker

Mrdeville
03-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Hello. I am in the market for a new smoker. I want either a offset smoker or a rotisserie smoker. Is there any difference in how your food comes out with the offset compared to a rotisserie smoker? Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

landarc
03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
there are so many options, what price range? there are differences, though I am not sure they are difference makers, or even normally detectable

Mrdeville
03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Well, as of now the price range is no more than $6,000
I would like something pretty large. I want to eventually do catering. I was considering the 4860 model from Cadillac Cookers. If cooking on a rotisserie is the same as using a offset smoker, then I could get a offset smoker for cheaper. I'm undecided right about now.
http://www.cadillaccookers.com/products-page/smokers-on-trailers/model-4860-rotisserie-smoker-trailer

flyingbassman5
03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I'd check in with a mod to move this thread over to the catering forum. Most guys in Q-talk aren't as versed in the larger cookers like that. Might have better luck finding a helpful opinion over yonder since you are looking to start catering.

RICK Allen
03-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Get in ouch with Rich at Gator pits in Houston premo quality and one honest person

Trumpstylz
03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at these cookers a lot lately, teasing myself because I don't have the money. If I were spending the dough on an offset or reverse flow, it would probably be a Pitmaker sniper, Lang, Gator, Jambo, Peoria Cookers, Yoder, or Bubba grill.

Were it a cabinet/vertical type smoker, it would be a Pitmaker, Stump's, superior, Assassin, Backyard Bomber, or backwoods.

I'd take a look at them- pretty sure they all do custom work. And check out the peoria cookers meat monster.

Mrdeville
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
I appreciate the input! I guess you guys aren't really into rotisserie smokers?

Trumpstylz
03-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Are you looking to do a whole pig on a rotisserie, or just a chunk of meat now and again?

If you're not in the food business and are not looking for a whole hog cooker, check out the cajun bandit for the 22 inch weber kettle or weber smokey mountain, or the kamado bigjoe rotisserie.

I'm pretty sure Spitjack is near you and they make whole hog rotisseries for putting over an open fire. There are also some other brands, and you wouldn't have to spend 6000, plus I've seen them at parties and they're a hit.

The cadillac smokers don't look bad, but I have heard zero about them on this forum, so I wouldn't wanna drop 6 big ones on a company that I'd never heard anyone on this bbq forum mention once (maybe i just have a bad memory though).

Also- a lot of the previous brands mention that do custom work would be able to handle rotisserie as I'm pretty sure I've heard of them doing so in the past.

http://spitjack.com/category/ROTISSERIES.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-BYIRqOXbvg

shares
03-31-2013, 11:14 PM
I appreciate the input! I guess you guys aren't really into rotisserie smokers?
They're a PITA.

smokeisgood
04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
I have recently picked up one of these, and really really really like it.... and it's well within your budget. My guess is I could probably get 20+ briskets on it pretty easily
http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=15230959

dwfisk
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Take a look at these from brother TuscaloosaQ:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157486
A PM to him might be in order.

jmoney7269
04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
I have recently picked up one of these, and really really really like it.... and it's well within your budget. My guess is I could probably get 20+ briskets on it pretty easily
http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=15230959

+1 our next pit is gonna be a reverse flow magnum sniper. Tryin to eventually work towards my moble bbq food truck. it will be a few years yet. My vault cooked 10 15 lb briskets but that's about it. I bet one of those snipers could hold 25 briskets.

Trumpstylz
04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Those snipers are a work of art as far as offsets go- I don't know anyone else who makes anything like it. You could maybe fit a whole hog on one?

BBQ Bandit
04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
There are different rotisseries as well.

Southern Pride, Old Hickory, and Oyler smokers have a rotating bank of shelves... capacities from 500 lbs and up.
But that's in a different budget - in the 5 figure range.

smokinit
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Fec makes a decent unit also.

Mrdeville
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Many thanx to all who replied! I think I will lean more towards the offset smoker because the rotisserie has a few mechanical parts. Motor, generator if no electric is present, gas etc. it seems offset smoker would be the way to go! I was mainly looking for a smoker mounted on a trailer that could hold about 20 or more pork butts.

BBQ Bandit
04-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Many thanx to all who replied! I think I will lean more towards the offset smoker because the rotisserie has a few mechanical parts. Motor, generator if no electric is present, gas etc. it seems offset smoker would be the way to go! I was mainly looking for a smoker mounted on a trailer that could hold about 20 or more pork butts.

That would equate to a mid-sided offset - a size like a Lang 60 patio with a full width second shelf option. 20 butts easy.
Some do upsize to an 84 out of necessessity.

dwfisk
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
If you settle on an offset stick burner, IMHO you need to research and seriously consider a reverse flow. I've been amazed at how much better my Q is using mine compared to other cookers I've used.

DownHomeQue
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
my Fraternity Brother has a 3660 Cadillac cooker.. it seems to cook food a little faster than my offset does... but capacity is limited to what the motor can turn.. and you are correct if there is no power present he is SOL. I like my offset because i can cook anywhere basically and don't require power.. something about having to plug in your grill just doesn't seem right.. :twitch:

bbqwilly
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I dont know the first thing about rotisserie cookers. But if your looking to spend around 6k, you need to PM Paul, TuscaloosaQ. I feel like an infomercial for this guy. Im a very happy customer. Just search some of his work he has posted on this forum. You will stay under 6k and have an awesome smoker.

buttburnersbbq
04-01-2013, 07:43 PM
If you settle on an offset stick burner, IMHO you need to research and seriously consider a reverse flow. I've been amazed at how much better my Q is using mine compared to other cookers I've used.

I agree on gettin a reverse flow smoker .I myself have had many of smokers in my years of bbq. I made my own offset smoker just like a Lang. My Q has been the best I have ever cooked . Smoke ring is great . It cooks evenly and fire burns clean blue smoke . Once you get a reverse flow you will never cook on anything else .

Mrdeville
04-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Yes , I have actually contacted Paul T. On a build. We have been talking . I am keeping my options open right now.

Mrdeville
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
@ DownHomeQue, does your buddy seem to like the 3660 Cadillac ?

DownHomeQue
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
He loves it... It cooks good... He has had his for about a year... He has had to get the intake fan fixed on it once.. He primarily uses charcoal for his cooks and a lot of it.. But it cooks really well...

Mrdeville
04-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Do you know if the food comes out any better than a offset? What about the motor? Any problems?

DownHomeQue
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
His seems to cook food faster than my offset... because the rotessirie the food spends more time closer to the fire.. The offset gives more smoke flavor in my opinion though.. He had problems out of the air intake fan.. thats it.. no problems out of the rotessirie motor.. here are some pics of his..

Mrdeville
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Cool thx! Pics are always a plus!!

Mrdeville
04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Check this offset out and let me know y'all's opinions.
I saw this on eBay and the seller has a site as well.. SLE Equipment.
http://sleequipment.com/new-6-x-12-competition-smoker-bbq-trailer-w-warming-box-two-sided-grill.html

DownHomeQue
04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
that SLE looks good.. check into Lang and Jambo's... Langs are in the same price range.. and the folks that have them seem to like them..

Mrdeville
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
DownHomeQue, is it possible I talk to your buddy that owns the Cadillac ? I have a few questions for him.

sdbbq1234
04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
I see you are in the DC area. Don't count out Meadow Creek smokers and equipment. I just sold my TS250 w/BBQ42 trailer. Hated to do it, but.......

They are having their yearly auction in a couple of weeks; you might want to check it out.

http://meadowcreekbarbecue.com/docs/7596_MCW%20Auction%20Insert.pdf

No, I have no affiliation with them, but I can say they make really good products and the customer service it very good!

Best of luck.

wallace

Franklint003
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Check out the guys at Yoder smokers
http://www.yodersmokers.com/