PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Ends question

ButtBurner
03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Guys

Cooked a few briskets in my time, but have never done burnt ends. The whole thing usually gets consumed. On my last brisket, I cut the point off (after it was cooked) and vacuumed sealed it to try to make burnt ends with one day

that day has come

I want to try them tomorrow, right now the point is thawing in the fridge. Its not real big, the brisket was only about 8.5 lbs

I did not separate the flat from the point, I just cut through the brisket where the point ended.

So how do I proceed? Did some reading, smoke it for about 2 hours or so then separate it, cut it up, put some rub on it then in a foil pan for awhile?

thanks for any (burnt end) tips !!

colonel00
03-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Here is my preference. I usually separate the point when the flat is done. While the flat rests, I cube up the point and put it in a pan. I give it a good coating of my sauce(s) of choice and maybe add some rub. Then back on the smoker for as long as I want but an hour at least. You will see that the fat continues to break down and the burnt ends will redden. I stir them every so often. Eventually I like them when they are super tender and the sugar in the sauce has started to thicken a little.