PDA

View Full Version : Maverick Probe Issues

JMSetzler
03-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Greetings Brethren :)

I have experienced an issue with two different Maverick temperature probes and I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problems...

I have a Maverick ET-732 and a Maverick ET-85 that I use in various grilling and smoking projects. When I'm cooking at temps of 300 or lower, there are absolutely no problems with either of these units. Where I'm seeing an issue on both of them is when I am ramping up for chicken and/or turkey at temps in the 400 range. Both thermometer systems are behaving the same way on these cooks. They are reading internal meat temperatures that are higher than what they should be. They start out ok early in the cook but when the probes read 160-165, I test their accuracy with my thermapen or my Maverick PT-100 and find that the actual temperature is sometimes 15-20 below what is being reported by the meat probes.

I called Maverick a while back about this and the offered to replace both of my probes. I declined the replacements until I had a chance to try it again, but I think I have an idea of what might be going on and I'd like to try to confirm it first. I believe that when the ambient temperature inside my grill is in the 400 degree range, it heats the exposed part of my meat probe and radiates that heat down the probe into the meat which would cause this situation to happen. I'm wondering if foiling the exposed part of the probe would help with this or not.

Have any of you had this issue before?

jonobacon
03-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Not sure if this is much help, but I discovered that if you don't cook the pit probe well enough, it will malfunction and need replacing. I always cleaned the food probe well, but not the pit probe so much, and the replacement was not cheap.

FireNorm
03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
Not sure if this is much help, but I discovered that if you don't cook the pit probe well enough, it will malfunction and need replacing.

How does one know when a probe is well done?

jonobacon
03-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Oops, I mean't to say "clean" the pit probe well enough.

Long week I guess. :-)

benniesdad
03-31-2013, 09:15 PM
JM - I am still using an older Maverick ET-73 and I ran into the exact same thing about a week or so ago when doing a pork loin roast using indirect high heat (400-450). The Maverick alerted that I hit my target temp but the Thermapen read 15-20 degrees below. I assumed that I had the probe too close the surface so I repositioned it and the temp dropped but within a short time it alerted again. When I probed it, I got a slightly higher temp, but essentially it was still a good 10-15 degrees below my target. I applied a little "Kentucky windage" to the reading and kept cooking to a higher reading on the Maverick that reflected the difference I needed to reach my target temp. When I reached that higher temp, the Thermapen reflected my desired target temp.

I also previously encountered it before doing tri tip using a high heat sear then indirect cook.

Interesting theory. Am making another pork loin roast this week using high heat. I will experiment with covering the exposed portion of the probe with foil and see if it makes a difference.

Hankdad1
04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
^x2

That is pretty much blow by blow what happened to me Easter Sunday with a 7# pork loin.

TheJackal
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
My ET-732 does this right now as well. Reads ar least 10 degrees hotter than my thermapen. Real annoying when you are getting close to finish time!

benniesdad
04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
JM - I am still using an older Maverick ET-73 and I ran into the exact same thing about a week or so ago when doing a pork loin roast using indirect high heat (400-450). The Maverick alerted that I hit my target temp but the Thermapen read 15-20 degrees below. I assumed that I had the probe too close the surface so I repositioned it and the temp dropped but within a short time it alerted again. When I probed it, I got a slightly higher temp, but essentially it was still a good 10-15 degrees below my target. I applied a little "Kentucky windage" to the reading and kept cooking to a higher reading on the Maverick that reflected the difference I needed to reach my target temp. When I reached that higher temp, the Thermapen reflected my desired target temp.

I also previously encountered it before doing tri tip using a high heat sear then indirect cook.

Interesting theory. Am making another pork loin roast this week using high heat. I will experiment with covering the exposed portion of the probe with foil and see if it makes a difference.

I followed up and made another pork loin roast this week using the same technique except this time I covered the exposed portion of the probe with foil. This time the grill temp on my Performer was not quite as hot as before, but was still running between 375-400. When I hit my target temp and probed it with the Thermapen, the readings were essentially the same based on numerous probes. Not sure I would call this conclusive evidence, but it sure is an indicator that JMSetzler may be on to something.