PDA

View Full Version : Look for beef prices to rise within the year

thillin
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
With the drought and fires in TX and OK, beef prices are to be affected. Local news reported that the effects will hit in 6-12 months. Makes sense, transporting in water and cost of hay has been going up. If we don't get some substantial rain this month(a couple days straight), it'll affect our summer cooks.

brdbbq
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Farking Wunderful

Smoker
02-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Also, Beef prices will skyrocket when the bird flu pandemic hits and millions of chickens will be slaughtered and burned.

Arlin_MacRae
02-06-2006, 01:13 PM
So maybe we should all buy new freezers and stock up!

And I suppose pork prices will rise because people will stop buying beef and chicken?

Jeff_in_KC
02-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Exactly, Arlin... one thing leads to another ya know. :roll:

jt
02-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Beef prices have already gone up. Gonna have to go deer hunting next fall so I can have red meat.

MilitantSquatter
02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
If any of you guys want to get real serious about tracking this stuff, keep your eye on this site that charts commodities futures trading prices.. You can check trending for Beef and hog among many other commodities (ex. metals, oils, orange juice,wheat, soybeans etc)... Hog costs have actually dropped in the last month or so pretty drastically.

http://www.tfc-charts.com/menu.html

I check this site at work daily primarily for checking copper and aluminum and oil costs... it helps me know when some of my raw materials suppliers are over exaggerating their proposed cost increases or not in line with others are quoting.

Brauma
02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Makes me want to raise my own cattle. Ive got the acreage. I know a guy who raised his own steers and fed em organic feed. Had it butchered and made some good coin. Stocked his freezer to boot.

Jorge
02-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Makes me want to raise my own cattle. Ive got the acreage. I know a guy who raised his own steers and fed em organic feed. Had it butchered and made some good coin. Stocked his freezer to boot.

I have a cousin here in Texas, not far from Lockhart, that still raises cattle. When there is rain to keep the stock tanks full, grow some hay, and let the cattle graze in the pasture he can make some pretty good money. Now that the stock tanks are drying up, there is virtually no grass for the cattle to graze on, and hay is being trucked in from out of state. He is about to start selling off everything but the breeding stock.

He will still have the Ag exemption on the land, but it will take him a couple of years to get back to where he is now if he doesn't want to invest too much. When the rain returns and he's able to make hay again prices are expected to be depressed due to lower demand, because just about every other small farmer/rancher will have done the same thing. The cycles are long in that business unless you are ADM etc...

BobberQer
02-07-2006, 02:48 PM
According to that cattle chart, it's over bought... ... summer beef contracts dont look to swift either if there's any more rain out there in the west.. it'll be like a herd o cattle trying to get out of those long positions:eek: