PDA

View Full Version : Membrane

smokinrack
03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Was watching a show the other day, probably pitmasters and they were doing ribs. One of the guys left the membrane on the back of them when he cooked them.Years ago when I had no idea what I was doing I used to leave it on but didnt realize there were people who cooked competitions or professionaly who leave it on.Anyone in here do that and if so why?

HankB
03-28-2013, 08:24 AM
I leave if it gets too hard to remove it. Some come off easier than others. I've heard it said that it keeps the meat moister.

smokinrack
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Thats what the guy on tv said as well but when I used to it always seemed to make the ribs tougher and kind of chewy, but as I said back then I had no idea what I was doing so this just made me curious if I was totally backwards on the subject:mrgreen:

Jaskew82
03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
I always remove it. Removing it allows the rub to penetrate the meat. Also results in a more tender finished product. I recently decided to leave it on to see if I could REALLY tell the difference... The answer is yes, I could clearly.

Cack
03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
I know most (probably not all) restaurants leave it on because they don't have time to remove it from every rack they do.

There's times when I can tell it's there and times you can't. I remove it to allow the rub to soak in from the bottom side.

Ron_L
03-28-2013, 08:41 AM
I remember that episode, but what I don't remember is if he removed it after the ribs cook. I have read about folks leaving it on while cooking and then taking it off before slicing the ribs.

smokinrack
03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I remember that episode, but what I don't remember is if he removed it after the ribs cook. I have read about folks leaving it on while cooking and then taking it off before slicing the ribs.

I dont think they showed him removing it but I know they dont show a lot of the prep work on that show either before they box the meat so he may have.

Terry The Toad
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
I think no-membrane ribs are way over-rated. I used to take it off (and I thought "dang, these are some awesome ribs!")... then I realized that it was the smoking that made them so good. I don't worry about it much anymore.

Yendor
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I always leave it on, tried taking it off before and the wife got mad, she likes that little pull it creates. I've also seen and read that it helps to keep the ribs more moist. I know my ribs are always moist. FYI, I do not wrap my ribs ever so that may play into if they get chewy or not if you leave it on as well.

Bludawg
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I leave it on IMO your ribs a juicer. 30 yrs ago I would leave it on, then it became the thing to pull it, and I went down that trail ( and tried all the Snakeoil too) this is when I started to chase MY BBQ looking for nirvana. Now I stopped pulling it again, Ditched all the Snake oil, and once again cranknig out some awesome "Q". K. I. S. S. my bothers!

BobM
03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I remove it.

DriverWild
03-28-2013, 10:08 AM
If you like that piece of wax paper stuck to your meat go ahead and leave it on.

Gnaws on Pigs
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
I remove mine. I've tried leaving it on several times as an experiment, but I prefer to remove it. Doesn't take but five seconds to yank it off of there, anyway.

tnjimbob
03-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Remove. I heard of a well known BBQ restaurant that leaves the membrane on while smoking, then moves the ribs over a char-broiler to burn off the remaining membrane. Never tried it at home.

BBQdisciple
03-28-2013, 11:32 AM
i pull it off, only takes a second and is just what I am used to doing

teej
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
I always leave it on. No one has complained yet.

GMDGeek
03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
I judge BBQ joints by whether they leave it on or take it off. My experience, yes at first it takes time to take the membrane off. Heck, used to take me 30 minutes just to do 3 freaking ribs. Now though I can strip membranes off of 6 ribs in 3 minutes .

Sure restaurants use the excuse that they don't have the time to but those joints that do - WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. If they take the time to do that they take the time on the rest of their product and usually (not always) but usually that means a step of in quality, taste, and moisture.

Personally - I remove it every time. Doesn't matter if I'm cooking 2 racks or 20 racks.

Have had good ribs with it left on but that is when the Pitmaster knows their stuff and takes the time to keep the meat smoked well.

funugy
03-28-2013, 01:02 PM
When I first started cooking ribs I had a hard time cutting the membrane off, so I left most of them on. Then the interweb showed me that they can be removed easily just by using my fingers and starting in the middle. Now I attempt to take them all off.

I remove as much as I can, but don't spend too much time on them. I normally get most, if not all of it off. If I spend more than a minute removing the membrane I stop.

Vince RnQ
03-28-2013, 01:04 PM
If you remove the membrane, the ribs might fall apart when you boil them.

luberconn
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
one of the first things i was taught is the remove it. i thought it was a "no braner". ha

smokinrack
03-28-2013, 01:39 PM
If you remove the membrane, the ribs might fall apart when you boil them.

Why would anyone boil ribs when we have microwaves these days to cook em in, just gotta baste em more often in the microwave:wink:

hamiltont
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Why would anyone boil ribs when we have microwaves these days to cook em in, just gotta baste em more often in the microwave:wink:
Not if you brine & inject them before the microwave.... :wink:

I remove the membrane BTW...

MJ_Tenn
03-28-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm with the "always remove the membrane crowd"!

Rustys BBQ
03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Theres enough fat in a rib to have it super juicy without the membrane. If you need to keep the membrane on the get a juicy product your doing it wrong.

That being said when I was vending this summer cooking 200-400 racks a day we left the membrane on. That would have taken for ever to remove. I didnt really mind the end product either. But you definetly miss out on rub on both sides. I start my ribs meat side up, and when the bark starts to form and rub cooked on I flip until done. I don't rake any fat out after the membrane is removed so when I do flip it makes a little juice pool which I spread around every 30 mins.

Rustys BBQ
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I need to start posting more looking for wood under my name is kinda making me feel like a nerd.

Bludawg
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Theres enough fat in a rib to have it super juicy without the membrane. If you need to keep the membrane on the get a juicy product your doing it wrong.

I diThat being said when I was vending this summer cooking 200-400 racks a day we left the membrane on. That would have taken for ever to remove. dnt really mind the end product either. But you definetly miss out on rub on both sides. I start my ribs meat side up, and when the bark starts to form and rub cooked on I flip until done. I don't rake any fat out after the membrane is removed so when I do flip it makes a little juice pool which I spread around every 30 mins.
Nothing like self contradiction:tape:

93vpmod
03-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I take them off at the insistence of the wife. It's not difficult once you do a couple a dozen. Sometimes it's difficult to get it all f the membrane though.

Rustys BBQ
03-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Nothing like self contradiction:tape:

Well I mean having the membrane on wasnt bad but I much prefer off. There is no advantage to keeping it on. If you have the time, take it off. More flavor and glaze doesnt stick to the membrane either.

Also if keeping the membrane on, remember to slice across ribs before you serve to people or hot juices can come squirting out

Beerbecue
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Leaving the membrane on is like not trimming fat from a steak. It's still good but a little extra effort makes for a better meal. I always rip the membrane off of my ribs.

gayler
03-28-2013, 08:22 PM
I always take them off. Never tried them on.

shirknwrk
03-28-2013, 08:59 PM
I remove it.

javahog2002
03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Like others have said. Before I knew what I was doing I left the membrane on. Always remove it. Dont buy the moisture argument. If you have problems with moisture, foil them for a while.

Neonnblack
03-28-2013, 11:57 PM
i score them into diamonds

Nut
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
I take them off. Once I got the trick of starting in the middle, it only takes a few seconds.

Just BS
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Remove. I heard of a well known BBQ restaurant that leaves the membrane on while smoking, then moves the ribs over a char-broiler to burn off the remaining membrane. Never tried it at home.

I done both....When smoking over direct heat on the UDS I find that its barely noticeable. When cooking indirectly in the offset, I like it better removed.

J&B'sBBQ
03-29-2013, 12:16 PM
We pull ours off. Have tried both ways and I can notice a difference (at least in the way we cook them). I know the theory is that it holds in moisture, but I find ours are just fine in the moisture category without it.

po3po3
03-30-2013, 01:04 AM
I used to take mine off but after watching pitmaster t's youtube video I converted. Score the membrane between each rib and cook my ribs hot and fast.

Cooknhogz
03-30-2013, 03:13 AM
prefer it removed

Cooknhogz
03-30-2013, 03:15 AM
don't like chewy ribz