PDA

View Full Version : Use for Jalapeno Pepper

Titch
03-26-2013, 12:17 AM
I have some jalapeno plants that need harvesting.
I have a heap of pepper pickled for winter use but am stumbling a bit on what else to do with them.
Thoughts please people

Stingerhook
03-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Dry them out and into the coffee grinder to make a shake you can use on just about anything when you want to add some heat.

Callahan-que
03-26-2013, 01:18 AM
I use them in cornbread and the vinegar pepper sauce I put on my pulled pork. Also do a search for ABT's.

El Ropo
03-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Fresh ones make great salsa. I also use them fresh on sandwiches in place of pickles. I like to use the ones with very little striations on the skin, this is an indicator that they will be on the mild side. The ones with lots of striations tend to be hotter.

For long term use, drying or dehydrating and grinding for a spice is a great idea. I've only tried it with japs, once, but I mixed them with serrano and chili tepins to make a super zesty hot spice. I mixed in 50% k salt and a little low sodium season all to make what we call down here "hot salt". This isn't the authentic recipe, but it turned out real good.

Skidder
03-26-2013, 05:37 AM
I freeze them to make my Cream of Jalapeno soup or chowder. Freezing them wrecks there texture but great for soups.and chili

jonboy
03-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Jalapeno Pepper Jelly is killer.:-D
jon

rocketmanray
03-26-2013, 06:50 AM
I freeze them to make my Cream of Jalapeno soup or chowder. Freezing them wrecks there texture but great for soups.and chili

I agree - I haven't found the texure to be completely the same after freezing, but still passable as "fresh" for salsa (bets the picked ones anyway).

I freeze my peppers (any kind) when I have too many - I've never had any issues and they're always there.

RMR

timzcardz
03-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Thin slices on pizza is great, or added to salads.

My mother used to add them to brownies. Took them to a higher level and no one can ever figure out why they're so good.

Smoke them for chipotles.

Johnny_Crunch
03-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Stuff them, wrap them in bacon and grill them up!

DirtyChurro
03-26-2013, 07:56 AM
I like to smoke them and put them in salsa. I have plans to dry them out and make a chipotle sprinkle type seasoning this spring.

angryfish01
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Took the wife to a nice resturant in Nashville the other day, ordered the brisket (which I think was chuck roast, but thats another story) served on a bed of jalapino grits. Crazy good. These wern't the box type grits, but made from a corse ground homney. I MUST fugure this one out. So good!

Gnaws on Pigs
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Let them get red ripe, cold smoke them, and dry-you now have chipotles, which are delicious and useful in all kinds of things.

ubp_sanity
03-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Jalapeno poppers are always good.

cameraman
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Took the wife to a nice resturant in Nashville the other day, ordered the brisket (which I think was chuck roast, but thats another story) served on a bed of jalapino grits. Crazy good. These wern't the box type grits, but made from a corse ground homney. I MUST fugure this one out. So good!

Have you had the jalapeno cheese grits at Arnold's? Slap your mama good. I'd kill for that recipe. It haunts me., :wacko:

cameraman
03-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I second jalapeno jelly. Spoon it over cream cheese and serve it on crackers. Mmm mmm good.

nucornhusker
03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
There's always ABT's.

angryfish01
03-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Have you had the jalapeno cheese grits at Arnold's? Slap your mama good. I'd kill for that recipe. It haunts me., :wacko:

Have not been to Arnold's Country Kitchen in Nashville, but thanks for the tip! Always looking for a new place to chow down.

deguerre
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Slice them in half, rub them over your fingers and palms then give TFO a really good goose. I love a good fireworks display...

TheJackal
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Make wine.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/gurban/photo-1_zps662f4866.jpg

deguerre
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Make wine.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/gurban/photo-1_zps662f4866.jpg

Actually, now that you mention it, you can make Hot Pepper Olive Oil, and Jalapeno vodka...

JPS11
03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
How about Cowboy Candy aka Candied Jalapenos?

Smoking Westy
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Dry them and then grind for jalapeno dust...the stuff is great on a lot of things! I had a huge crop last summer and couldn't keep up with them between canning and making poppers so I dried a bunch (like 600). Once dry, I ground them up in an old coffee grinder and stored the dust in mason jars.

Mo-Dave
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
I like to grill them split them, and top off my sandwiches like a hamburger, or on the side with whatever.
Dave

MS2SB
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
+1 on the Pepper vodka.

Slice peppers and add to a mason jar, cover with vodka and let sit for 2-3 week, you should have a taste every few days. Once it gets to the potency you want, strain into a clean jar/bottle.

Makes a great Bloody Mary.

You can do the same with tequila and it adds something special to a margarita.

Just BS
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Another vote for jelly. Makes an awesome Christmas gift.

I'd try the vodka too. :wink:

ubp_sanity
03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
I like the idea of Jalapeno's in Vodka.. I'm just thinking that patio season will (hopefully) be happening soon, and it will go good in our Caesars. Any idea of the quality of Vodka required? Should I use good stuff, or is the cheap stuff good enough?

For the Americans, a Caesar is the Canadian version of your Bloody Mary's, but we use Clamato juice instead of tomato juice. Try it, you'll love it.

flyingbassman5
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
+1 vote for cowboy candy. Or add them to jars of bread and butter pickles to spice them up a bit.

dadsr4
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Slice them in half, rub them over your fingers and palms then give TFO a really good goose. I love a good fireworks display...
Bucc might object.

deguerre
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Bucc might object.

And I thought TFO was a general term, not just specific to Mrs. Buccs...but then, that would make it even funnier.

MS2SB
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
I like the idea of Jalapeno's in Vodka.. I'm just thinking that patio season will (hopefully) be happening soon, and it will go good in our Caesars. Any idea of the quality of Vodka required? Should I use good stuff, or is the cheap stuff good enough?

For the Americans, a Caesar is the Canadian version of your Bloody Mary's, but we use Clamato juice instead of tomato juice. Try it, you'll love it.

I'd say 4-5 sliced jalapenos with the seeds into a 1-qt mason jar will do the trick. You will need to taste every few days to see where you stand. I made some this fall with a variety of late season peppers and it got away from me a little bit, now I need to cut it with some regular vodka to tone it down.

BTW I enjoy a Caesar from time to time, especially with a little ground celery seed around the rim of the glass.

dadsr4
03-26-2013, 01:40 PM
And I thought TFO was a general term, not just specific to Mrs. Buccs...but then, that would make it even funnier.
This is the only other usage I am aware of besides Bucc using it for his wife..
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TFO

yakdung
03-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Place in a food dehydrator then grind. Watch your nose the dust can get nasty.

code3rrt
03-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I have a recipe for a cheesy/herb bread, and sometimes I'll add a handfull of sliced jalepenos into the dough before the second rise, and then a few baked on top for garnish, comes out really good.

KC

Rockin W Smokers
03-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree - I haven't found the texure to be completely the same after freezing, but still passable as "fresh" for salsa (bets the picked ones anyway).

I freeze my peppers (any kind) when I have too many - I've never had any issues and they're always there.

RMR

Also a fan of freezing. I clean, slice & put in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the freezer for a few hours. When they are frozen I put them in large freezer bags to use as I would fresh peppers. I do it this way so you can get what you need without thawing an entire bag out. This also seems to help the texture but never the same as fresh.

+1 on Cowboy Candy, Jalapeno Dust & Pepper Jelly

Skidder
03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Jalapeno Pepper Jelly is killer.:-D
jon

Someone say jelly. How about some of Cowgirls corn cob jelly with jalapeno?
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/corncobjelly001.jpg

LM600
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm a big fan of dehydrating chillies and turning them into dust in a coffee grinder.

You could also chuck a load into some white vinegar, leave for as long as you want, blend up and add some guar gum for some hot/sour sauce.

Blitz 'em in a processor and fill into ice cube trays, freeze, pop out into bags and keep in the freezer...just grab a couple of cubes as and when you need them.

ABTs, I love these....always make double than you think you'll need and then make some more.

Chipotles, just let 'em ripen to red on the plant, pick 'em, smoke 'em and dry 'em.

Brian in Maine
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
My chiropractor gave me a jar of bread and butter jalapenos that he had made. They were incredible! Pepper jelly, and ABTs are great ideas also.

Grabnabber
03-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Chicken marinade I like:

3-6 Jalapenos, seeds and all (as many as you like. Or serrano, or Thai chilis, or whatever...)
6-12 cloves garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 TBS white vinegar
2 TBS oil
1 TBS cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp mexican (or regular) oregano
handful of fresh cilantro
1 shallot
little bit of cayenne if you like

Whiz it up in a blender until it is a slurry.

Marinate your chicken overnite and then grill it hot and fast.

Tastes pretty good. :mrgreen:

Titch
03-27-2013, 03:59 AM
Thanks so much for the replies.
Whats the best way to dry them ,bar buying a food dehydrater.

angryfish01
03-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Take about 25 and puree them in blender.
Use nightly as a wrinkle cream, especially around the eyes.:wacko:

I'm sorry, I just could not help myself.......Better put me in the penelty box :cry:t

TIMMAY
03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Everybody has some great suggestions. You forgot jalapeno popper grilled cheese! Roasted jalapenos spread flat on burgers works great too.
Jalapeno cornbread mentioned already... Jalapeno jelly... The jalapenos in vodka could work for a bloody mary...

Fat Woody
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
You can make a great salsa verde if you can get tomatillos. It freezes pretty well since it's all blended anyway. Roast 'em first for an extra kick.

Ole Man Dan
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Put them in pickled eggs.
Put them in boiled Peanuts.
Core a Corned Beef and shove in peppers in different places.
Cook them in Green Beans.
Put them in Stir Fry's.
Put them in Soups, Chili & Stews.

Core them and stuff them with Cream Cheese then bread...
Dice em up and cook em in scrambled eggs.

FACE IT I'M A CERTIFIED 'PEPPER HEAD'...

Mark
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.
Whats the best way to dry them ,bar buying a food dehydrater.

SMOKE-dry them of course. And here is my guide: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=323

Titch
03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
SMOKE-dry them of course. And here is my guide: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=323

Great stuff,thanks mate,
thanks everyone for your ideas

Stoke&Smoke
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
we slice them and put them in a sweet pickle brine, along with many of the other suggestions. The candied pickled slices are awesome on top of a deviled egg, and just in time for easter!