PDA

View Full Version : Hog Butt - Too Much Solid Fat?

NCGuy68
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey Fellow Quers,

Smoked a 8 Lb. Boston Butt last Friday (3/23/13) and ran it to a internal temp of 195 F. as usual. Pulled it apart and myself and my guest enjoyed it with Southern style side dishes as we always do.

I froze the few left-overs and today my Sweetie said, "Lets have some Hog Butt for lunch"......No Problem I'am thinking.

However, once thawed and reheated, there were large chuncks of un-rendered fat in it!

WTF Happened?

All knowledgeable replys are Appreciated Ya'll.

PS: I know my way around a Hog and this has never happened before.

bigabyte
03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
When I pull mine, I remove any large chunks of fat or other weird bits. I actually take each piece in my hands to ensure it's just nice meat, and put that into a pan, repeating until all the meat is in one pan, and all the gobbledy-gook in the other.

DownHomeQue
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
warm up more.. to render that fat out.. its no big deal really.. lil more time in the microwave.. or oven.. should break it down..

aawa
03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Pork Butts have large amounts of fat in it. I try to trim most of it off, but whatever I don't trim off, I remove when I pull the pork. You probably didn't see the globs of fat when you pulled it, as they are going to be almost jelly/snot like when you initially pull the meat. When they finally cooled down and hardened, that is what you saw.

Bludawg
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
You didn't cook it long enough on the smoker ( See Below)

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

IamMadMan
03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
When I pull mine, I remove any large chunks of fat or other weird bits. I actually take each piece in my hands to ensure it's just nice meat, and put that into a pan, repeating until all the meat is in one pan, and all the gobbledy-gook in the other.

^ +1 Same here.....

When done resting I trim the outside fat before pulling the butts. As I pull the meat I remove any internal fat / goop out of the mix.

jacksedona
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
i agree with bludawg. as far as butts are concerned just snoke it for six hours and the fat is okar,trim it after you smoke it-for me i will gladly eat the fat ith my other sides

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

NCGuy68
03-26-2013, 06:23 AM
You didn't cook it long enough on the smoker ( See Below)

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

So you're saying I have to Fondle the Butt after its Done?

Please understand I like to Fondle the Butt as much as any other guy - but only the Two-Legged variety. Never done it with the Four-Legged variety but I'll give it a try.

Whoda Thunk It!

I appreciate the help Gents.