PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of smoking a ham for Easter

gayler
03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
I could use some tips and pointers. I have never done a ham. How do I season it? Cook times and temp? What wood is best? How long will it take to defrost n the fridge. This chunk of pig is about ten pounds, I'll be cooking it on my pellet grill. Thanks guys!

hamiltont
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
If it's already cured then just give it some hickory @ 250F until it's warmed up if it's precooked. A week in the fridge should get it thawed. I wouldn't season it my self. Cheers!!!

gayler
03-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks! I have a friend that runs a butcher shop and every year a Christmas time he gives me a turkey. This last Christmas he gave me a ham. I ask for one that wasn't cooked because I'd like to try smoking it myself. I'm guessing this is uncured, but the package has no label and hes not around to ask

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks! I have a friend that runs a butcher shop and every year a Christmas time he gives me a turkey. This last Christmas he gave me a ham. I ask for one that wasn't cooked because I'd like to try smoking it myself. I'm guessing this is uncured, but the package has no label and hes not around to ask

The cut you got then is called fresh ham, but since it isn't cured, is just raw pork. Smoking it will produce smoked pork, not ham.

hamiltont
03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Okay, if it's not cooked then I'd smoke it @ 225F - 250F until 150F internal, measured way deep inside. Wrap in foil & a towel & into the cooler for an hour or so. Then either serve sliced or chill. YMMV... Cheers!!!

hamiltont
03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
You could cure it but it won't be ready for Easter.

superlazy
03-24-2013, 06:23 PM
It needs to be cured in order to be ham. Like Hesmellslikesmoke said it's just nother cut of raw pork

gayler
03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
The cut you got then is called fresh ham, but since it isn't cured, is just raw pork. Smoking it will produce smoked pork, not ham.

So if it's not cooked will it be more like what you would use for pulled pork? I hate to sound dumb, but how would I tell if it's cured? By the smell or appearance? I guess it's hard not to sound dumb when you are!:redface:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-24-2013, 06:31 PM
So if it's not cooked will it be more like what you would use for pulled pork? I hate to sound dumb, but how would I tell if it's cured? By the smell or appearance? I guess it's hard not to sound dumb when you are!:redface:

A cured ham will look like ham usually looks, pinkish red and will be somewhat firm to the touch. It will also smell like ham. Uncured will look and smell like raw pork.

Why not just call him to confirm what you have? If it is indeed fresh, raw pork, then cure it for smoking after Easter. Find a cured ham to smoke for Easter.

gayler
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
A cured ham will look like ham usually looks, pinkish red and will be somewhat firm to the touch. It will also smell like ham. Uncured will look and smell like raw pork.

Why not just call him to confirm what you have? If it is indeed fresh, raw pork, then cure it for smoking after Easter. Find a cured ham to smoke for Easter.

Ok, I got it part way thawed and it looks like it is cured. My next question is I only have Mesquete pellets. Am I total screwed, or will this tast Ok?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok, I got it part way thawed and it looks like it is cured. My next question is I only have Mesquete pellets. Am I total screwed, or will this tast Ok?

Are you using a pellet smoker or just using pellets for smoke? Mesquite sure wouldn't be my choice for ham.

cheapbeer
03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I dont know about your pellets but I do know that if you put a pan of bushes baked beans underneith with brown sugar, bbq sauce, maple syrup, peppers,onions or whatever it is that you like in beans, let the ham juice drip in, and once in a while cut off a few ham chunks and stir it in you will have an easy side dish that folks will love.............

oifmarine2003
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
I usually cook mine between 190-200 until the internal temp is 145-150. I would use apple, cherry, or a mixture of the two. If you have a Menards or Bass Pro anywhere near you, they have wood chips you can buy that you could use on your grill instead of the pellets.

Wampus
03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
So, it looks like you have a cured ham. It may or may not be completely cooked. Either way, you'll want to bring it to 155 or a little higher if not already completely cooked.

Until I cured my own ham, THIS (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ham1.html) was my go to recipe for cooking a pre-smoked and partially cooked ham. It's simple, easy to do and the glaze (while also simple) is FANTASTIC.

Here's some pics of the last time I did one this way........
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/wampusbbq/HOLIDAYS%2009/IMG_4908.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/Wampus/IMG_4904.jpg

IamMadMan
03-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Yummy Ham Wampus