PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Lollipops

CharlieBeasley
02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Here is a link to the Chicken Lollipops I mentioned last month on a possible method of cooking chicken legs.

http://www.cackalacky.com/lollipops.htm

tommykendall
02-03-2006, 01:47 PM
chicken turd on a stick. they look good.

jt
02-03-2006, 02:06 PM
These look good. Of course the bacon is a brethren requirement but I digress...

Gonna have to try these.

cabo
02-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I tried these a few weeks ago, with the drumettes. They are excellent!!

The_Kapn
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I actualy had a version of these come across my judging table at Lakeland last weekend (without the bacon). Remember it well.

Very moist, tasty, and scored VERY well (at least with me and those Judges that I spoke with later) on taste and texture.
That particular entry was not "arranged" in a professional manner--kinda "just put in the box". Messy. Appearance is a small percentage, but it is a score to optimize or throw away.
Also--as bad as I hate to admit it--the "apparently burned small end" did not help appearance scores.
Keep in mind--I saw only 10 % and speak for no-one else!

But, they were tasty and have potiential if cooked and presented correctly!

JMHO.

TIM

Kevin
02-03-2006, 08:55 PM
So aluminum foil to protect the small end from burning might help with presentation?
Edit; Placed at the appropriate time and removed before presentation.

The_Kapn
02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
So aluminum foil to protect the small end from burning might help with presentation?
Edit; Placed at the appropriate time and removed before presentation.

I do not know the answer to that--but "probably".
"Black burned bones" (generally speaking) are not really appetizing to me.
Can't speak for anyone else!
And, this is just an "appearance" consideration for judging. Small percentage on the score.
Varies with the situation and the judge.

And, yes--it would be normally be best to remove foil before turn in-:lol:

TIM

MilitantSquatter
02-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Interesting... I would not choose to submit this style of preparation for a contest, but I would try at home.

Does anyone see any major advantage to using the Drummy Device for regular drumsticks on the pit ? ... I saw the note about preventing flare-ups...

We're using drums for contests this year, just wondering if this is worth the money....

cabo
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I don’t compete, so I can’t help you there.
When I made mine I used the drummettes. White meat, I considered using chicken legs, dark meat, but thought too much fat taste with the dark meat & bacon. I used my ABT holders they work just as well without the added expense. I was keeping the Temp at about 225 to 235. I didn’t have a problem with flare ups

rookiedad
02-04-2006, 08:06 PM
when you go to the cackalacky website dont forget to listen to their song!
phil

Smoker
02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Vinny,

I don't see a reason to spend $35 since it can only cook 8 so for a family BBQ u would need 3 or 4 of them. I guess its much easier to just lay they down on the smoker. Other than that, the lollipops do look good.

jgh1204
02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Northern tool has a drumstick rack on sale for $5.99 right now. I dont see it on the website, but it was in their recent catalog circular.

jgh1204
02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Here it is a HD as part of a kit for $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=090441

MilitantSquatter
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Steve - Nice catch... wasn't even thinking about the limited qty it holds... I'll pass on it...
$35 was steep enough for what it does, no way I was going to buy more than one..

thirdeye
02-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Vinny, I don't see a reason to spend $35 since it can only cook 8 so for a family BBQ u would need 3 or 4 of them. I guess its much easier to just lay they down on the smoker. Other than that, the lollipops do look good.

I use a inverted 2" deep disposable aluminum pans, cutting X's and poking them down to hold the bone. Use the same thing for vertical ABT's.

MilitantSquatter
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Nice Third Eye !!! I have about 30 full size aluminum steamtable pans I brought from Costco. I use these as my water pan so I don't have to clean & drain the pit as frequently.

Maybe I'll try your method next time I do drums...

Kevin
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I made 3 dozen of these today. Me no likey. The black bones exposed are disgusting. I marinated, seasoned, then wrapped with bacon. Way too much salt. Did a few without bacon and they were better. Did a few plain chicken legs that were just brined and seasoned. They were were the best. I learn by my mistakes.
BTW. Always cook something else as a backup. I did a beef rump roast, injected and rubbed that was the bee's knee's.

The_Kapn
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Kevin,
To stop the "black bone" problem--wrap them suckers in foil for the first half of the cook. That is an easily correctable visual thing and I agree with you. Unwrapped burned bones suck!

As to the rest of it......?

Lollipops can be really KEWL visually for something different to serve or eat.

TIM