PDA

View Full Version : kurobuta Ribs, help needed

CharredApron
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I picked up a rack of Kurobuta ribs this week and I am going to smoke them today. I have never cooked these ribs and I was wondering how to tell when they are ready. They already pass the bend test and they haven't even been placed on the cooker. This meat is so tender it is like Kobe beef. Anyone cooked these before? Suggestions welcomed.
Jed

Ron_L
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Any ribs will pass the bend test when raw. They will firm up during the cook and then loosen up again when done. The bend test or toothpick test will still work.

CharredApron
03-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Any ribs will pass the bend test when raw. They will firm up during the cook and then loosen up again when done. The bend test or toothpick test will still work.
These ribs have a rich marbled texture and I definitely don't want to cook them too dry. I will have to rely on internal temps for my first cook with these ribs and live and learn I guess! Thanks for lookin.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
These ribs have a rich marbled texture and I definitely don't want to cook them too dry. I will have to rely on internal temps for my first cook with these ribs and live and learn I guess! Thanks for lookin.

If you can find a representive spot to measure the IT, I bet you reach the point when the ribs will pass the bend test as Ron said.

Ron_L
03-24-2013, 12:19 PM

I guess my answer wasn't good enough? Use the bend test or the toothpick test. Ribs are ribs regardless of the pig they came from.

Internal temps for ribs is a bad idea. There isn't enough meat to get a good reading. If you are off by 1/8 inch your temp can be off by quite a bit.

code3rrt
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Just did a quick Google search, as I had never heard of these before, at least not by that name. Sounds like Ron is spot on, those ribs should cook like any other, but the pay off would be considerbly better I would think.......at least going by the prices I saw on line, they must be outstanding.

Good luck, let us know the results,

KC

CharredApron
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks Ron, sometimes I a little dense! Duh:-P