PDA

View Full Version : Bread Recipe

Muscrat
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Here in Texas some or most BBQ joints serve homemade bread. Does anybody have a good recipe for homemade bread?

Thanks in advance!

tish
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM
What kind you looking for? White, wheat, rye, other? Kneaded, or no-knead? Starter, or none? Details, please. :grin:

Muscrat
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Damn you just went right over my head!!
I'll say white but have no idea what the rest is.

tish
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
I have a really nice recipe for a round loaf of rustic country white bread that requires no kneading. I make it in a cast iron dutch oven, and it is bangin'. I'll PM you the recipe, if you like. :wink:

lastmajordude
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Damn you just went right over my head!!
I'll say white but have no idea what the rest is.

HAHA!!!! I RESEMBLE that remark:wink:

samfsu
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Tish I would love that recipe please!

samfsu
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Ya can just post it in the thread if u wouldnt mind, this way anyone can have it :)

Muscrat
03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
yes sir Sign Me up!

Does it have to be done in a dutch oven?

tish
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Starter is a base for making bread that uses a wild yeast fermentation. You see it with sourdough and Amish friendship breads. Gives the bread a very distinct flavor and texture. Starter will keep growing and growing forever, if you let it. Some bread companies have been using starters that were started more than 100 years ago, and they keep right on growing it.

Kneading is the method of pushing and stretching the dough to make sure that it rises properly. Some breads require some fairly vigorous kneading, and some don't require any at all. Depends on what you're looking for.

tish
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Ya can just post it in the thread if u wouldnt mind, this way anyone can have it :)

Ok! I can do that. Let me go dig it out. :grin:

Bludawg
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I bake all my own breads haven't bough any in years, Give this a try it is easy, flavorful, and works good on a busy schedule.

Texas Sweet Sourdough Bread Recipe
INGREDIENTS:

For the starter
1 package dry yeast
5 1/2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons potato flakes (must be flakes)

To Use
1 cup starter
1 1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
9 cups (at least) bread flour (yes, bread flour)

PREPARATION:

Make the starter

Mix ingredients and place in a large glass jar set in a nice sunny or warm place for at least 4 hours. Mixture will become foamy and you will hear hissing from the lid of the jar. Pour off 1 cup of the mixture. At this point you can put this in another glass jar and refrigerate both jars or you can make some bread:

To use:

Mix together to form stiff dough and knead with hands until smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl oil the top and cover with plastic wrap. This can sit overnight in a warm place. Next day punch down fashion two loaves and place in greased/floured bread pans. Allow to rise until the dough is 3/4 " above the pans. Bake at 400/425 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Every time you want to make bread take the glass jar from the fridge and Feed starter again: 1 cup warm water, 1/3 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp potato flakes.

tish
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
I've gone back to the NY Times video and recipe. It was originally from the Sullivan Street Bakery, but the Times' video is helpful. It's really very easy, and once you've done it one time, you'll be doing it at least once a week, it's that easy/good. Enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

samfsu
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Sounds good, I just dont like the "wait 12-18 hr" part lol

tish
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Sounds good, I just dont like the "wait 12-18 hr" part lol

That's why I went to the Times' video. It gives a method of speeding it up, if you have the patience to wait through the pre-video advertisement. Apologies, as it is annoying. :tsk:

K-JUN
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
My grandmother worked in a school cafeteria her whole life and they made these almost everyday. She would visit us every summer and we couldn't wait until she would make a batch for us. It's an old fashion recipe that requires some effort but the end result is wonderful.

2 cups warm milk (100* F)
2 pkg. rapid rise yeast
3 heaping Tbls. sugar
2 heaping Tbls. shortening
1 1/h tsp. salt
5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

Pour milk into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Mix in the sugar and salt; blend thoroughly. Add in the shortening; gradually stir in the flour to make a soft dough.

Put a little flour on the work surface and knead for 3 to 4 min.

Transfer to a slightly greased bowl, cover with a dish towel and set in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Grease a baking pan, and put a little grease on your hands. Pinch off dough into tennis ball size rolls and place side by side in the pan.

Cover and set in a warm place and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400* F and bake in preheated oven until tops turn golden brown, about 20 minutes. When rolls are finished baking, drizzle melted butter over the top, and serve warm.

landarc
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Onexchef's recipe is what I would imagine is the norm, a soft white loaf of bread would result from that mild dough. I would use butter instead of shortening, and a loaf pan.

K-JUN
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I would use butter instead of shortening, and a loaf pan.

That would work. Like I said that recipe is at least 50 years old. I have always made rolls but this should make 2 one pound loaves.

landarc
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Ruminations on bread...

1. Softer bread is the result of adding fat to the dough. By adding 10 to 15 percent of fat to the dough, you get a softer loaf. This is why there is Olive Oil bread from Italy.

2. Milk leads to a softer bread crumb as well, thus milk and butter in a dough is going to give you soft white bread. The combination of milk and fat gives up American white bread.

3. A moist bread surface gives you a thinner crumb/crust, so most commercial operations use a steam injection oven. You can spray the top of your loaf with water to retard the crust in a similar fashion.

4. Steam is still your friend, I like to put a cast iron skillet into the oven, and preheat the entire thing. Then, when the bread goes in, I throw 5 or 6 ice cubes in the cast iron skillet and close the door, instant steam injection. Once is enough for that.

5. For loaves, generally, a light colored pan yields a light colored side and bottom crust, a dark colored pan yields a darker crust. Hence, commercial cake pans are almost always tinned aluminum or steel, the light tin color leads to pale cakes.