PDA

View Full Version : Ole Hickory CTO??????

beanpotjim
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm contemplation getting rid of my Good One Rodeo and replacing it with a Ole Hickory CTO. The fuel cost on the Rodeo is taking a big bite out of my profit. Any one care to way in on the Ole Hickory CTO, would this be a wise choice?

I cater to oil tanker crews when the come to our area for repairs. They actually call ahead to make sure I will be there

jrbBBQ
03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
I have one and love it. When I cater or vend, I still use charcoal along with wood chunks. I basically just use the propane assist to pick up the slack instead if main heat source. The customer service is really good. Oh yeah, it's pretty.

beanpotjim
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
How much baby sittin does it take?

jrbBBQ
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I should have elaborated, it is just turn it on and let it go. I let it warm up for about 30 minutes, sometimes it doesn't take that long and put the meat on and check the meat when I think it's close. The thermostat makes it act like an oven. I get about 7 hours out of a load of charcoal and wood. Some people's criticism about ole hickory is that is a propane cooker that you add wood flavor, what they don't realize is that it is designed where you can run it without any propane. The cooking capacity is nice, I've had 18 loin back ribs laying flat with 4 butts and 2 briskets on at the same time. If was to do butts, I could easily get 3 cases on it. All of the rack space is usable except the top left back 1/3, it gets a little hot, the rest of the cooking racks are within 10 degrees of each other.

beanpotjim
03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
WOW that sounds awesome!!! A lot more user friendly than the rig I'm currently using. It holds temp pretty well as long as all of the planets are aligned properly. The biggest issue is the good one uses 60 lbs of fuel for a 12 hour cook.
I really appreciate you input very very helpful :)

jmoney7269
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I was torn between the vault and the ole hickory cto, until I saw the price. I will have one one day When I open up a little shop. Plus I figured them whiney baby people at cookoffs would whine and complain I'm Cookin on a electrical pit. You have no idea how many belligerent idiots I run into that try to start trouble just with my traeger, vault and UDS. Some cookoffs even say no commercial cookers now. Never understood why people want to make it harder on other people which would rather relax than split wood and feed the pit. The CTO actually has more cookspace than the vault. Malcolm on the killer hogs and howtobbqright website has a cto and from our conversations, he absolutely loves his.

PaPaQ
03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Just like jrbBBQ said "just turn it on and let it go". If you have the comp switch and comp charcoal baskets you don't even need propane. Been very well satisfied with my CTO.