PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for beef pot roast on the smoker.

JohnMcD348
02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
My wife has a pot roast that needs to be cooked and she asked me if I'd like to do it on the smoker this Saturday. I wa wondering if any of you guys out there have done a regular beef pot roast on a smoker.

Should I rub it, just plain smoke it, should I cook it like a butt. Any ideas and insight are greatly appreciated.
I was thinking of maybe using apple wood and a little hickory for the smoke.

Thanks

BobberQer
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
did one last w/e .. 3 pounder... my thought process was to bring it up to 190-195 ish,same as brisket, to use for chili.. it took forever to get there .. bout 5 hours...but it was one of the best tastin pieces of meat I've smoked in a long time .. almost didnt make it to the chili pot it was so tasty.. I rubbed it with a rub I used for Brisket, only because i was feeling my way in the dark.. it turned out to be the right decision in my opinion.. great stuff.. will do again... and not use for chili, but with a regular meal mashed potatos, red cabage( smoked) and pumpernickle bread :shock:

thillin
02-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Chuck roast maybe..

Cook like a pork butt. Foil at 165*. Take up to 190*, and cooler. Should fall apart like pulled pork.

Smoker
02-01-2006, 10:06 PM
will do again... and not use for chili, but with a regular meal mashed potatos, red cabage( smoked) and pumpernickle bread :shock:

Call me for that meal!!!!!

BobberQer
02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
You got it homey!!! I got plenty of Chili left.. ya want/need some.. I'll drop it off tomorrow at yer house .. I didnt use choclate in it this time.. still taste good .. let me know, I'll leave it in a cooler on your stoop

Kevin
02-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Chuck roast maybe..

Cook like a pork butt. Foil at 165*. Take up to 190*, and cooler. Should fall apart like pulled pork.

What he said. Chusk roast works great. Round or sirloin are too lean.

kickassbbq
02-02-2006, 06:44 AM
The JT Man,
Rub down that Chuck or Pot Roast just like you would a Butt. Put it in an aluminum pan and pour in a beer. Do as the guys have said and bring it to temp just like a Butt. Fall off the bone and those juices are the BEST!!! I do them about as often as I do Butts. I love smoked, pulled Beef!!!!
PARTY!!!!!
ed

kickassbbq
02-02-2006, 07:32 AM
JT Man,
I forgot something. The last 2-3 hours of the smoke, add carrots, onions and potatoes to the pan in all of those juices. Maybe a couple of sprigs of Rosemary or Thyme, also. That is a Pot Roast dinner.
PARTY!!!!
ed

rbsnwngs
02-02-2006, 08:09 AM
You got it homey!!! I got plenty of Chili left.. ya want/need some.. I'll drop it off tomorrow at yer house .. I didnt use choclate in it this time.. still taste good .. let me know, I'll leave it in a cooler on your stoop

you know where i live also

BobberQer
02-02-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm on the road in about an hour, Willie ,ya want I drop some off??

VitaminQ
02-02-2006, 09:30 AM
I pretty much do 'em like a butt, too- though I rarely foil.

ZILLA
02-02-2006, 10:09 AM
I did a 19lb shoulder clod for thanks giving and it was great. I did it hot and fast for 6 hrs or so then foiled anf rest in a cooler for an hour. Salt, pepper,and Chili powder.