PDA

View Full Version : I saw a Komodo Kamado in person today.

Lobsterbake
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
All I can say is nothing on the market compares in materials or build - it is the Ferrari of ceramic smokers. So impressed - I went to check out one owned in IN and it is everything I thought and more. I will have one sometime this year. www.komodokamado.com :razz:

mbshop
03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
i'm sure they are. but for some reason they do nothing for me. now if i was given one i would love the thing to death.

Midnight Smoke
03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
All I can say is nothing on the market compares in materials or build - it is the Ferrari of ceramic smokers.www.komodokamado.com (http://www.komodokamado.com) :razz:

That is a big statement, not really sure I agree.

StokeMySmoke
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
They sure are pretty, but for everyday use and at a fraction of the price, I'll take a Big Green Egg with its lifetime warrantee any day.

superlazy
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Be careful. They have a very sketchy history.
I almost bought one about 15yrs ago

Lobsterbake
03-17-2013, 07:57 PM
You are mixing up company's. Richard Johnson's www.kamado.com is who you are referring to.

luke duke
03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
That is a big statement, not really sure I agree.

So which one is better and why?

Midnight Smoke
03-17-2013, 11:45 PM
So which one is better and why?

It would depend on what you are asking, what is the which one you are asking about? My comment referred to no other product...

charrederhead
03-17-2013, 11:52 PM
i'm sure they are. But for some reason they do nothing for me. Now if i was given one i would love the thing to death.

+++1

Bily Lovec
03-18-2013, 05:42 AM
They sure are pretty, but for everyday use and at a fraction of the price, I'll take a Big Green Egg with its lifetime warrantee any day.

LOL... :tongue:

you're comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari :biggrin1:

jacksedona
03-18-2013, 05:47 AM
i am happy with my rocky mountain smoker from weber to me its the toyota of smokers its srekiable and i have it for 15 years looks like new.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

ubp_sanity
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
LOL... :tongue:

you're comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari :biggrin1:

Don't forget that Fiat now owns Ferrari...

Also Ferrari's have this nasty habit of randomly burning up..

I'd also like either one myself..

ubp_sanity
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I'd like to see one in person myself, but living in Canada, even a Green Egg is virtually an unknown. I get a lot of comments on my Broil King Keg. Can only imagine what people would say about the Komodo.

Smoothsmoke
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
KK's are indeed super nice and extremely well built. Congrats on your future cooker Lobsterbake.

Which size are you getting, 19, 23 or 32?

Lobsterbake
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I am either getting 23 or 32. We are going to Bali next month for vacation and will get to meet owner and see the factory so super excited!!

Midnight Smoke
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Usually helps when you have a point to a comment MS - if you have nothing constructive to add then it is a waste of space to comment. I am sure you have never seen a KK in person but still felt compelled to disagree with no basis or in other words :blah:

You are right this is Q-Talk and things need to remain on topic. It appears you did not understand what I was saying, so let me clarify.

I do not believe that this refractory material cooker will cook any better than the Big Green Egg. The higher cost is not going to be offset by the small amount of better heat retention, you are paying more because of the Art and Design, they look pretty.

If you cannot cook it will make no difference what cooker you buy or how much you paid for it.

Since you have been here for an entire 3 months, I can understand your basis for calling my comment something less than rubbish, I appreciate your thoughts and insult.

FWIW, talking about basis or lack thereof, where in your OP did you explain anything about the cooker that would justify the raving review? Or were you just plugging the KK?

Hoss
03-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Evidently,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I am sure they are great cookers.Good luck.

Lobsterbake
03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks Hoss. Big Green Egg owners tend to be overly sensitive and think the BGE is the end all be all. They are a great cooker but not for everyone and the Kamado Joe offers more for less in the ceramic cooker category. Komodo Kamado are refractory material cookers and in a different league.

I would say 235 degrees for 85 hours is pretty impressive and no I have no ties to KK company besides a raving fan.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/komodokamado2/kk2-01.htm

ToastedMorsel
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
A BGE weighs about 160 lbs and the KK has 82 lbs of 304 stainless..
No need to compare the two.

Much more expensive but you are not paying 50% to the store who sold it to you also.
I have no problem with price as long as it's a good value..

CharredApron
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I'll stick with my Vision Kamado Pro series for now. $699.00 at costco. verses
23" OTB Gen 2.6 pricing
Standard Tiles $4,260
Pebble Tiles 4,420
Bronze Metallic 4,480
And now I've got money left for beer! And lots of meat to smoke!
Just Sayin....................

Freddy j
03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
You are right this is Q-Talk and things need to remain on topic. It appears you did not understand what I was saying, so let me clarify.

I do not believe that this refractory material cooker will cook any better than the Big Green Egg. The higher cost is not going to be offset by the small amount of better heat retention, you are paying more because of the Art and Design, they look pretty.

If you cannot cook it will make no difference what cooker you buy or how much you paid for it.

Since you have been here for an entire 3 months, I can understand your basis for calling my comment something less than rubbish, I appreciate your thoughts and insult.

FWIW, talking about basis or lack thereof, where in your OP did you explain anything about the cooker that would justify the raving review? Or were you just plugging the KK?

Ms, I'm actually in the market for a kamado and narrow it down between a BGE, kamado joe and primo. Can you link me to threads about your experiences using your big green egg? I'd appreciate any experienced advice on it to help my decision. Thank you.

AustinKnight
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I'll stick with my Vision Kamado Pro series for now. $699.00 at costco. verses
23" OTB Gen 2.6 pricing
Standard Tiles $4,260
Pebble Tiles 4,420
Bronze Metallic 4,480
And now I've got money left for beer! And lots of meat to smoke!
Just Sayin....................

:shocked::shocked: Refractory body does that mean Refractory Cement? Hell ya you've got money leftover to get a lot of meat you could buy a deep freezer and BBq nicely for a season if not 2. I always wanted to make one of these VVV but I got a Akorn.

Rutland Refractory Cement + Miracle Gro Perlite To make this out of castings, the perlite makes it lite weight like styrofoam they say (http://backyardpizza.blogspot.com/2011/03/frankenweber-is-in-full-on-construction.html)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IeOWRjC4ks0/TCk9EWzAUxI/AAAAAAAABN8/uhxcKhX4B3U/s1600/IMG_5113.jpg

woodpelletsmoker
03-19-2013, 06:22 PM
in China refractory material has not much price difference than ceramic
If you deco your weber kettle by diamond, it can be $5000 too

The Pup
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
There is no economically rational reason to purchase a KK. It performs well, but it also has limitations (limited grill space, access, and "degree of indirect heat" in comparison to some of the insulated vault or offset cookers). The heat retention and fuel economy (read potential cook duration per load) are incredible.

What is remarkable about the KK (and perhaps other like ceramic ovens) is that you can smoke your Tri Tip at 235F, and in in a few moments, execute a reverse sear at 500F; then finish a pizza in 6 minutes at 900F. When you shut it down, it will hold temperature with very little loss for hours.

If I were in the market to make such an irrational purchase, I would get the 32"; otherwise you will have to do "rack workarounds" when doing big rib and simultaneous pot-of-beans cooks.

Enjoy!

BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!

superlazy
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
If you have the money to spend and it makes you happy then do it.
I looked at the sight and it looks to me that it is the same guys.
It's is up you. Personally I'm glad I passed.
Oh if you are looking to toss money away I could seriously use some
Not being a Ass, You asked for thoughts

Tony A
03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Congrats on the new grill I just got a primo which I know is not everyone's cup of tea either but I say hey to each their own cant wait to see some pics of it and some of your cooks

Good Grillin !!

Cloudsmoker
03-19-2013, 10:34 PM
I've only seen one in person, and it was not in very good shape. But OMG, the web link -- they look like jewelry.

talisker63
03-20-2013, 06:58 AM
OK - I have a metalic bronze Komodo Kamado, it is awesome. I often smoke steak low, remove and open the vents wide, within a very short time it is like raging hot and then I reverse sear
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/a9e6upa2.jpg

yes its beautiful and very expensive. I plan on only one BBQ for the rest of my time...

Steak was great too!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/ery2ary2.jpg

open invite for anyone to come see!

I will also point out that Dennis Linkletter is a great supplier who even called me to check delivery was fine and help with the first cook! The Kamodo company who also had a VERY much inferior product is not associated with Komodo Kamado or Dennis.

deepsouth
03-20-2013, 07:10 AM
BTW, the materials used on the KK are derived from the space shuttle program and related industries--and do not come cheap!

same with the bge.

The Big Green Egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technology

The shape of the Egg reflects ancient technology in that it is designed to contain the heat with only a small vent at the top to create a draft to keep the fire going. Today’s Egg is manufactured from high fiber ceramics developed for the space shuttle program specifically designed to reflect heat and this allows temperatures of up to 650 degrees Celsius (1200 Fahrenheit) to be reached. The external surface has a high gloss ceramic glaze applied to provide crack and weather resistance.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)

deepsouth
03-20-2013, 07:10 AM
gosh, wiki sure links horribly here.... sorry....

luke duke
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
What is remarkable about the KK (and perhaps other like ceramic ovens) is that you can smoke your Tri Tip at 235F, and in in a few moments, execute a reverse sear at 500F; then finish a pizza in 6 minutes at 900F. When you shut it down, it will hold temperature with very little loss for hours.

That would be one crispy pizza.

The Pup
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
That would be one crispy pizza.

Wrong...perfect pizza.

martyleach
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm sure they are excellent cookers but I think they look hideous... art gone bad.

ITBFQ
03-20-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm sure they are excellent cookers but I think they look hideous... art gone bad.

I couldn't agree more.

kds9547
03-20-2013, 09:22 PM
If I had something like that sitting on my deck my buddies would laugh me out of the state. No self-respecting man would have one of those on his deck.

I've only had a BGE for a couple of months but I can tell you already it is the ticket. I've cooked wings at 375 and minutes later been searing steaks at 750. $850 brand new with the plate setter and a free bag of lump. Can't wait to try some pizza.

Churrasqueiro Bob
03-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Post some pics when you get it, I'd like to see it. What color are you thinking about getting?

Churrasqueiro Bob
03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Here is an in depth review at the Naked Whiz: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/komodokamado2/kk2-01.htm#introduction

A very impressive piece of equipment.

luke duke
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Wrong...perfect pizza.

I question the accuracy of one or more of the following:

1. Your thermometer
2. Your clock
3. Your definition of perfect

J-Rod
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM

The blue tile one kinda reminds me of a wall in a school restroom.

J-Rod
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I question the accuracy of one or more of the following:

1. Your thermometer
2. Your clock
3. Your definition of perfect

Agreed. 6 minutes@900* will make for one crispy pie!

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I am either getting 23 or 32. We are going to Bali next month for vacation and will get to meet owner and see the factory so super excited!!

No disrespect here Lobsterbake.

But,
From what you posted here, it looks like you plan on being a reseller of this product and this thread might be nothing more then to drum up business and draw attention to this smoker on the BBQ Brethren web sight. I think we have an area for that. Its called "Brethren Sales and Ventures". You might want to check it out and talk to the mods about buying an advertisement spot if thats the case.

As far as ceramic smokers go I guess you could say I own a 50 year old VW Beetle. Original paint, A real Rat Rod Kind of Look. The only shine it has is when you open the hood and see how nicely seasoned it is.
Its a 50 year old Kamado that still works great to this day.

bproffer
03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Sure are alot of twisted panties in this thread. I say if he likes the KK, so be it. You can produce good 'q on a UDS or a WSM, but should we belittle thosepeople who own multi-thousand dollar rigs? Live and let live. :drama:

And no disrespect to Silverfinger, but I read that post as he is going to Bali on vacation, and while he is there, was going to see where the kamados, a cooker he obviously really wants, were made. If I was going to be in Houston, I'd love to ge tour the Klose shop and see how they were made and talk to david about smoker design etc... I think we are over-speculating here.

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Sure are alot of twisted panties in this thread. I say if he likes the KK, so be it. You can produce good 'q on a UDS or a WSM, but should we belittle thosepeople who own multi-thousand dollar rigs? Live and let live. :drama:

And no disrespect to Silverfinger, but I read that post as he is going to Bali on vacation, and while he is there, was going to see where the kamados, a cooker he obviously really wants, were made. If I was going to be in Houston, I'd love to ge tour the Klose shop and see how they were made and talk to david about smoker design etc... I think we are over-speculating here.

Is 23 or 32 a size of the smoker or is it a number of smokers that he is going to purchase while he is there to resale here in the States?

If its the size we are talking about then I apologies for my statement. If it's the amount of smokers he's going to buy and resell them here then I feel what I posted was correct.

And,
Either way, Im not A MOD here at the BBQ Brethren web sight, so I might have overstepped my bounds.
For that, I do apologies for!!!

bproffer
03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Is 23 or 32 a size of the smoker or is it a number of smokers that he is going to purchase while he is there to resale here in the States?

If its the size we are talking about then I apologies for my statement. If it's the amount of smokers he's going to buy and resell them here then I feel what I posted was correct.

And,
Either way, Im not A MOD here at the BBQ Brethren web sight, so I might have overstepped my bounds.
For that, I do apologies for!!!

They are sizes. No worries. I'm no mod either, but I am staying in a Holiday Inn express tonight! :)

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
They are sizes. No worries. I'm no mod either, but I am staying in a Holiday Inn express tonight! :)

Well then,
I take back what I said originally and truly do apologize:tape:

Enjoy your new smoker and your vacation Lobesterbake!!

SmokeInDaEye
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I love my Komodo Kamado, as I do all of the little members of my grill and smoker family.

thegizzard
03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
I have had the Chargriller Akorn for about a year. I love it. @$299 is it the AMC Gremlin of smokers?

superlazy
03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I have had the Chargriller Akorn for about a year. I love it. @$299 is it the AMC Gremlin of smokers?

A largely unknown fact is you could the the gremlin with a v8 and a 6 speed

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Age before beauty!!
My RatRod!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/22/ubazyne8.jpg

Lobsterbake
03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks Silverfinger - Dennis the owner sells them factory direct and the only way you can buy one is thru him. Just enamored with his product and will have either a 23 inch or 32 inch model soon and looking forward to seeing the factory and an awesome vacation.

Take care,

Mark

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Are they still sold out of Carson CA ?

Lobsterbake
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes - he keeps ready stock there. If you order one that he doesn't have there takes about two months as 40 days on a ship and then has to clear customs.

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 07:53 PM
That's just a few miles from my house.
You see them for sell on Craig's list every now and then in this area for real cheap prices.

Libertarian
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Exorbitantly priced for what they are - for the same money, buy an Egg or a Joe AND nice vertical smoker. Don't get 'em. Never will.

Lobsterbake
03-21-2013, 09:30 PM
23" has 82 lbs of stainless steel and 32" has 128 lbs.

304 Stainless

Anyone priced stainless lately? I went to Ace Hardware the other day and they wanted $2.50 for a single stainless acorn nut.

The BGE compared to to a Komodo Kamado is like comparing a Fred Flinstone car to a Ferrari.

No bands to replace or adjust

Gasket won't burn up or need replaced

kds9547
03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
More like comparing Fred Flintstone to Liberace.

martyleach
03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
More like comparing Fred Flintstone to Liberace.

So what does sexual orientation have to do with BBQ's?? :)

kds9547
03-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Simply pointing out that I think Liberace would prefer the Kamado. Fred would just stick with the egg.

CharredApron
03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Agreed. 6 minutes@900* will make for one crispy pie!
more like 90 seconds in my pizza oven

silverfinger
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
My old kamado might not be able to reach temps that high without blowing up. It is all original. Not bad for being over 50 years old. Paid 240.00 for it.
What I've cooked out of it? Priceless!!

Tony A
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
My old kamado might not be able to reach temps that high without blowing up. It is all original. Not bad for being over 50 years old. Paid 240.00 for it.
What I've cooked out of it? Priceless!!

I hope to keep my pits for that long! That's awesome. In my opinion you could have a million dollar pit or a home made uds or even a mini wsm don't matter what you have all that matters is that you use it and use it well! Q is only as good as the pit master behind the rig.

rcbaughn
03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Holy cow the 23" ones are farking expensive, but they are pretty no doubt. I could buy two trailer smokers for that price around my parts, and probably a small one to sit at the house too.

ToastedMorsel
03-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Nothing wrong with something with a high build quality to be expensive. Most people on most forums think that a BGE is too expensive. The KK is not for them. Sorry Eggers but a BGE is an expensive glazed ceramic pot with bottom of the barrel components. The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype. That being said it's not even insulated. Touch it at 400º and tell me about it. The KK you can touch easily at 700º and not blister your self. It's all about the airflow, common sense would dictate if you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temp, you will have lees airflow which means less evaporation (more retained moisture) and more time for the smoke/vapor to condense on your meat. If self opening and lots of big beefy 3/8" SS grids are not for you. Fine but don't knock it just because it's expensive or you can't afford it. I doubt there are many guys driving $100,000 cars here.. The KK is a great only for those who can afford a $4,000 to $6,000 toy, most of us can't. Kingsford Charcoal bought 20 of them for their Board of directors, plant managers and facebook give aways. The world's largest producer of charcoal's R&D team who can buy anything they want buys them it's saying something. Kingsford site says that it "represents the pinnacle of what's possible in a charcoal BBQ" nuff said!

thoraudio
03-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Nothing wrong with something with a high build quality to be expensive. Most people on most forums think that a BGE is too expensive. The KK is not for them. Sorry Eggers but a BGE is an expensive glazed ceramic pot with bottom of the barrel components. The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype. That being said it's not even insulated. Touch it at 400º and tell me about it. The KK you can touch easily at 700º and not blister your self. It's all about the airflow, common sense would dictate if you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temp, you will have lees airflow which means less evaporation (more retained moisture) and more time for the smoke/vapor to condense on your meat. If self opening and lots of big beefy 3/8" SS grids are not for you. Fine but don't knock it just because it's expensive or you can't afford it. I doubt there are many guys driving $100,000 cars here.. The KK is a great only for those who can afford a $4,000 to $6,000 toy, most of us can't. Kingsford Charcoal bought 20 of them for their Board of directors, plant managers and facebook give aways. The world's largest producer of charcoal's R&D team who can buy anything they want buys them it's saying something. Kingsford site says that it "represents the pinnacle of what's possible in a charcoal BBQ" nuff said!

Maybe not $100,000 cars, but there's plenty of people on here with $50,000 trucks and $10,000 pull behind rigs.

And also plenty of people who can whip up great food on a $50 UDS, a $79 Weber OTS, a $250 Char-griller kamado, a $1000 BGE or a $4000 KK or a $10,000 pull behind rig with big screen TV.

Let's just enjoy the process. No reason to make it a sausage measuring contest.

smokeylips
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
A lot of people here are talking about two different cookers. It is the Komodo Kamado that was the original post. www.komodokamado.com I have owned one now for 3 years and love it. It has 3 grates that are all heavy duty stainless steel. They can go in various heights, including up into the dome. You can do very large cooks. You can have it with the fire exposed, partially indirect or fully indirect. A plug is built into the cooker for a Stoker or BBQ Guru. You can also get the rotisserie basket and it fits right into the cooker.

Dennis Linkletter is the owner, he lives in Bali. He is a first rate guy and is very passionate about his product and stands behind them 100%! You have to go through him to get one. There are no other dealers. He brings them into California from Bali. He has a warehouse there and ships them around the country.

The build quality far exceeded my expectations even though it was pricey and my expectations were high. Even the way they are crated is first rate.

You can smoke cheese to grill pizza and any or everything inbetween. Any body that is considering one of these will not be disappointed with there purchase.

I also have a traeger and a gas grill but over all I use the KK. It's a conversation piece in our yard and much more attractive then my other two!

I live in Oregon in the metro area and if anyone wants to peek at one in this area they are welcome to.

Wow, sorry about the rant. Some people just seemed negative and kind of unkind to Lobsterbake. I have seen his posts on the Komodo Kamado forum and he's very excited about his purchase and going on vacation to Bali.

Have a fabulous trip and you are going to love your new KK, I promise!!!:razz:

Johnny_Crunch
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
My neighbor has one and it looks awesome. Wish I could afford one.

joshcary
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype.

That's an unfair statement. Please don't misrepresent dealers as people who make a killing selling overpriced items to people, because that's just flat untrue.

devious
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
I tell you what... After I win the Powerball tomorrow I'll buy each and every one of you farkers one of each:icon_smile_tongue:

Libertarian
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Ceramic Kamados are great all-around units - maybe the most versatile of all grills/smokers/pits. But they are inferior as smokers when compared to a dedicated smoker and it is simply insane to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for one when there are far better options out there at that price point. I'm sure the KK is really nice and appeals to the women in the family but it cooks absolutely no better than a BGE or a KJ at five times the price. I guarantee you it isn't half the smoker a basic UDS setup is.

IMO KK is sort of the antithesis of what this forum is all about. Deserves the reactions it gets.

smokeylips
03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I have no problem with others opinions or ideas. That's how we learn and figure out what appeals to us. The insults are unnecessary!

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I have no problem with others opinions or ideas. That's how we learn and figure out what appeals to us. The insults are unnecessary!

I agree,
The insults are unnecessary.
But this post would have been better off in Q talk.

Read the rules about the woodpile.
You kind of need to be a bit thick skinned to hang out here.
And the mods will address the issue if they feel its gone overboard.
Much less likely here tho.

ADMIN NOTE:
1 - This IS in Qtalk.
2 - Even if its in woodpile, insulting, disrespectful or confrontational comments are not tolerated.

ubp_sanity
03-23-2013, 05:33 PM
I know if I could justify getting one I'd be thinking of it.

If I could afford it, I'd also be looking into an Aston Martin, even though it gets you from point A to point B just as good as a Ford Fusion.. But you look down the road and see many Fusions, but no Astons. It's just the same, one is basic transportation, and the other is art.. one is mass produced, the other hand crafted.. But both do the same job.

The KK is no different, it's the exotic that the everyday person can't get.

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Wait,
It is in Q talk.
I thought this started in the woodpile.

Fark in getting old.

The Pup
03-23-2013, 06:00 PM
One of the greatest freedoms of all is never having to prove your happiness to another--you just are.

...a condition of liberty that even a cranially-challenged KK owner can enjoy!

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Well in my time when someone complained about a purchase I made, my response would be,I did not buy it for you, I bought it for me!! Lol

pigout sc
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM

I agree 100%. May perform well but it is way to gaudy for my taste.

kds9547
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I wonder how many sweatshop kids it takes to put the tiles on one of these things?

bbqbull
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Moderator note!
The personal attacks on various brand cookers and each other have just ended!!!
Thank you in advance!!!

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 08:00 PM
The original op will be there for vacation. Maybe he will get to meet the staff as well and give us an update on that one.

caliking
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Six pages of taunts and retorts, but only 1 measly pic of a KK??

Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.

kds9547
03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Probably not many on this site have one...

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 08:24 PM
I posted a photo of one of the first ceramic smokers ever made.
I think that's educational!

Southstar Jeff
03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Right - because God forbid anyone here have an opinion contrary to yours.

Opinions are great. But they don't need to be delivered in an insulting way. I don't think I've read any of the people here who like their KK's putting down any one else's opinions. Must sour grapes come with an attitude?

I specifically paid to be a member of this forum because, unlike some of the others, that kind of plain rude, obnoxious behavior didn't happen here. I'm with one of the other posts, makes me rethink re-upping.

superlazy
03-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Really Guys!!!! Grow up!!!!
I gave my advice early in this thread based on research. At the time and almost pulled trigger on one 15yrs ago thinking this is something I can pass on to the kids but the company started to have problems with quality so I opted out.
Look There is no reason to bash and be disrespectful to the OP!!!

I did a bit of looking and I think It is the same family/folks making them now.
Would I buy one? I dunno. It would be nice but I don't need it.

Seem that there a lot of folks down on there luck lately (myself included) that are angry that somebody can do something they want

Not Cool!!!!

kds9547
03-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm not down on my luck, but then again I'm not superlazy. I could afford one if I wanted, it's just too "pretty" to suit my taste. There's probably a good market for them in California though.

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
That may be why they have a wherehouse in Carson calif..

superlazy
03-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm not down on my luck, but then again I'm not superlazy. I could afford one if I wanted, it's just too "pretty" to suit my taste. There's probably a good market for them in California though.

Ya maybe so, If I dug deep could I do it these days.... but that's not the question. If he has the the cash to do so.. What is wrong with that?

It is his money not yours ( jealous much?)

kds9547
03-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Dude can do what he wants with his money. Where did I say he couldn't? I'm expressing MY OPINION.

BTW, you might want to read your last post. Not making much sense there.

silverfinger
03-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.

With all do respect, there were many good posts not knocking the KK.
Just because there was only one photo of the product does not mean everyone else was bashing the product. Most just had a problem with the cost of the product. Not the product itself.

There is nothing wrong with a little bit of constructive criticism.

kds9547
03-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm out. Have a safe trip to Bali Lobsterbake and hope you enjoy your KK and that it lasts you a lifetime. I'll be on the lookout for a review on it.

BBQchef33
03-23-2013, 11:04 PM
wow... WTF is wrong with some of you folks?...

keep the bashing to zero.... support his decision, or offer constructive criticism, but pissin on his shoes, or being a general azzhat is not permitted,m and not in the spirit of our forum.. like mom says, have nothing nice to say, say noting.

lighten up.

CharredApron
03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
INMHO this a monster thread about choice. I was really naive when I purchased a ceramic cooker. But I can cook. The most basic grill can produce wonderful results in the hands of a skilled cook master. I hesitate to use the word chef as I am a former restaurateur and loathe the chef attitude. Who really cares what you cook on if you can produce results. I have seen many a fellow brethren state that they have a open fire pit with a grate. Last week I was at a birthday party for my 1 year old Grandson. I brought meat for the grill and when I got there they're gasser wouldn't work. No problem....went into the kitchen, took the racks out of the oven, set them over my daughters fire pit, set the gasser grates on top using a few bricks to elevate the cookin surface and boom.... we were in business. Some of you have read my posts particularly about pizza and I am a major proponent of simple. The more simple your approach is to cooking the more stellar your results and reviews will be. If you feel the need to buy the latest and greatest equipment available, more power to you. I applaud your spirit. I too have looked for answers to my burnt out gasser's burners and have bought a ceramic grill and still replaced the gasser's burners. I look at my gasser as a fast and furious or hurricane relief cooker alternative. But in reality...will this be the last cooker standing, I doubt it! Will I continue to invest or construct fire breathing, smoke ingesting cauldrons of joy? Oh God I hope so! No more words!

BBQchef33
03-23-2013, 11:52 PM
ADMIN NOTE: ok.. I just spent 15 minutes scrubbing the bullchit in here.. 15 mins i cant have back.. In having to re-read this twice just to referee the childish insults, i found several members were very close to earning a timeout.. but since we were not here for the entire pissing contest, and just like smacking the dog a day later for crapping on the carpet does nothing, a lockout at this time is useless..

but rest assured, we dont tolerate chit slinging for sport.. offering a respectful opinion(even if negative) is constructive, but telling folks they have more $$ than brains(which BTW, I fall under, even if its only $20), is bullchit.... as well as a few other useless 'sasquatch like ' comments..

be warned.... more chit slinging WILL earn you a 3-7 day lockout..

rcbaughn
03-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? I saw that temperature a few pages back and was wondering. If so, that is heat retention along the lines of a domed Neapolitan pizza oven and that would be impressive since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE. I'd like to see a pizza some out of it at 900 degrees and see how it cooks. It it can hold high temps in the dome then this this might be a viable smaller and portable alternative to a wood fired oven and still offer the ability to smoke low and slow. All on one setup, although pricey. Then again, a wood fired oven isn't exactly cheap to build or buy either along with having to buy a separate smoker.

Just throwing that out there and I may be completely mistaken in my thought process.

Churrasqueiro Bob
03-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Again, check out the review at the Naked Whiz. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/komodokamado2/kk2-01.htm#introduction

ToastedMorsel
03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
but it cooks absolutely no better than a BGE or a KJ at five times the price. I guarantee you it isn't half the smoker a basic UDS setup is.

I find it hard to believe you don't know that a super insulated cooker performs better than a glazed ceramic pot or a basic UDS..

From the well respected Naked Whiz website..
Naked Whiz Review (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/komodokamado2/kk2-05.htm#efficiency)
Cooker Efficiency
"One of the tests that we have performed in the past using a large Big Green Egg, a Kamado Joe classic cooker, and our 2006 Komodo Kamado is to heat the cooker up to 400°F, controlled by a BBQ Guru temperature controller, and then measure the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome or lid after 2.5 hours.

We used a BBQ Guru ProCom4 controller to keep the cooker at 400 degrees (dome temperature) for 2.5 hours. We then measured the surface temperature of the cooker at various locations on the dome, from the lower edge up to the upper vent, using a Type K thermocouple precision surface probe. The temperature of the dome on the Egg varied from 180 degrees at the lower edge of the dome to 245 degrees at the top of the dome near the upper vent. The Komodo Kamado was fairly constant around the lower part of the dome, from 150°F to 155°F. (There is no insulating layer around the lower edge as this is where the internal band is and structural refractory material is required to hold the band.) Higher up on the dome where there is an insulating layer, the temperatures were lower, approximately 130°F. At the very top of the dome near the chimney, the temperature was a mere 125°F.

So while the dome of the Egg was scorching hot to the touch, you could leave your hand anywhere on the Komodo Kamado's dome for at least a couple of seconds. Clearly the Komodo Kamado is keeping far more heat inside the cooker and of course, the exterior of the Komodo Kamado stays at a lower temperature should one come into contact with it." End Quote.

Do these things hold heat at 235 for 85 hours without any more fuel? since the walls on one of those ovens is pretty darn thick and this thing doesn't look much thicker than a BGE.

One 20lb bowl of charcoal burned for 85 hours, the walls are almost 2" thick with, vermiculite, high tech Aerogel and an acrylic insulation with ceramic spheres. You can easily touch outside when the dome temp is 750º The 23" weighs 588 lbs and the 32" weighs 954 lbs (128 of that 304 Stainless)

ToastedMorsel
03-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Big Bad 32"
http://www.komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/MIsc/KKnewsite2013/KK-32-closed72.jpg
http://www.komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/MIsc/KKnewsite2013/KK-32-Open72.jpg
http://www.komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/MIsc/KKnewsite2013/KK-32-SideOpen72.jpg
http://www.komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/MIsc/KKnewsite2013/KKrearClosed72.jpg
32" and 23" main & upper 3/8" Stainless grids
http://www.komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/MIsc/KKnewsite2013/DSC00917.jpeg
23" Ultimate
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/23-32/KK23-ClosedFrontX.jpg
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/23-32/KK23OPenFrontX.jpg
Inside a 23" KK
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2421.jpeg
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2422.jpeg
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2425.jpeg
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2426.jpeg
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2429.jpeg
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/550x/32/ef/74/32ef7428a19a1ccdf9f43bb2bf0cc27e.jpg
http://media-cache-is0.pinimg.com/550x/37/24/f2/3724f28d0cfdb8671740359d9db8cfec.jpg
http://media-cache-is0.pinimg.com/550x/43/d9/14/43d914fa46c527dad902755fd8d6978b.jpg

The Pup
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Folks, we did 3 pizzas yesterday and measured the results:

When the KK reached ~900F (very little heat soak other than coming up to temp) it took just over 5 minutes (could have cooked a little longer--but it was still good).

The next pie went on at ~750F (although the temps did shoot back up) and took slightly less time.

We held off on the last pizza until I started getting those "I'm still hungry looks" from the crowd and it was slightly over-cooked at ~900F at ~3 minutes.

With the pizza stone, a 45-minute heat soak at ~900F would likely yield a good pizza in about 3 minutes or slightly less.

My wife said we did a thin crust pizza recently at ~700F and it took about ~7 minutes.

I suppose the heat soak (and maybe crust depth) could be the missing variable.

To be clear, this is the first time we have ever cooked more than one pizza on the KK (over the last ~3 years). Regardless, in our normal mode of operation, we typically get the KK up to temp (~900F), throw on the pie, and enjoy a great pizza in about 6 minutes.

luke duke
03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
How long can you maintain 900F?

smokeylips
03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
People were asking for pics so here is mine with some gyros meat cooking away. The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever:razz:
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o609/lr425/image-25.jpg

devious
03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Well I didn't win the powerball:sad:

ubp_sanity
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
People were asking for pics so here is mine with some gyros meat cooking away. The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever:razz:

Sorry to say, but I didn't get any pics of your cooker.

ubp_sanity
03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm not really big on the disco ball one, but that black one looks amazing.

And people talk about how well insulated they are, but unless it uses the same ceramics as Wonder Womans jet,that blue one looks like there'd be a lot of heat loss :roll:

I think for now I'll stick with the Broil King Keg and the Mini..

23" Ultimate

http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/23-32/KK23-ClosedFrontX.jpg

Inside a 23" KK
http://komodokamado.com/ForumPhotos/Aug12-11/IMG_2421.jpeg

http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/550x/32/ef/74/32ef7428a19a1ccdf9f43bb2bf0cc27e.jpg
http://media-cache-is0.pinimg.com/550x/37/24/f2/3724f28d0cfdb8671740359d9db8cfec.jpg

smokeylips
03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Sorry to say, but I didn't get any pics of your cooker.

Sorry, I think I had a glass of wine, lol. Got distracted. But it is posted now:razz:

rcbaughn
03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
The yard looks like crap but my KK is as pretty as ever:razz:

The yard looks pretty darn nice to me!

Smoothsmoke
03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o609/lr425/image-25.jpg

Is that the Olive Pebble color? How is the mobility on that thing? Can you move it easily to the other side of the yard?

smokeylips
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Is that the Olive Pebble color? How is the mobility on that thing? Can you move it easily to the other side of the yard?

No, the olive pebble looks like stones. It has wheels that you can't see so it is easily moved on a flat surface. Not so much through grass or up stairs. It's extremely heavy.

mtbchip
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
The Richard Johnson world of Kamado is over.

www.kamadorocket.com is now the maker.

I have a 2004 Kamado from the Sacto "factory". Still working strong! The new company out of Las Vegas has made many good improvements. Worth looking over. Here is mine.....

The Pup
03-25-2013, 10:30 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7945.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7354b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7204b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7126sm.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7130sm.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7046b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7031b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7202b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7123sm.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/14.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/BeforeShipment2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/RCA6L6GC/IMG_7047b.jpg

Lobsterbake
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine - will decide on 23 or 32 at factory.

Mark

Johnny_Crunch
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
That thing is like sexual chocolate!

SmokinSlowPoke
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Geez you farkers take your cookers more seriously than your politics! :tape:

After seeing the pictures and reading up about the KK I think its an amazing peice of machinery. :peep:

Personally I would never spend 5k on a cooker, not because i could not afford to, but because i could not justify it. BBQ, IMO, is a way for me to unwind, relax and entertain/feed my friends and family while challenging myself to grow in an area I enjoy. I can do all of those things with pretty basic equipment.

BUT If the day came in which i felt i needed the best Komado on the market, i would definitely be calling Dennis.

aawa
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine - will decide on 23 or 32 at factory.

Mark

Always go with the biggest one you can afford! So go with the 32!

And you guys with these KK's. Some of the colors are butt ugly but some of them are really cool looking. Have fun on your trip Lobsterbake!

Smoothsmoke
03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Always go with the biggest one you can afford! So go with the 32!

And you guys with these KK's. Some of the colors are butt ugly but some of them are really cool looking. Have fun on your trip Lobsterbake!

True! Some are fugly, like the disco ball tile ones. However, the pebble and the neutral toned tiles gives it a nice touch.

landarc
03-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I am sure if I did a garden design and the owner bought one if the disco ball ones, I would pretend I had nothing to do with it all

ToastedMorsel
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not really big on the disco ball one, but that black one looks amazing.

And people talk about how well insulated they are, but unless it uses the same ceramics as Wonder Womans jet,that blue one looks like there'd be a lot of heat loss :roll:

:clap::clap:
Just in case you actually thought that was a working grill.. it's a cut away that shows the position of the different cooking levels with the standard grids..