PDA

View Full Version : Savory vs Sweet

Yakfishingfool
01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Lot's of great stuff here on savory items. Has anybody experimented with smoking for sweets? cakes? pies? cobblers?? Just wondering. Not even sure it's doable, but would be neat to finish off a great meal. Scott

ZILLA
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Thats when I bust out the dutch ovens. My buddy M38A1 over on the txbbqrub forum does chocolate chip cookies. Everyone seems to love em. Look him up, he loves to share.

Zilla

The Woodman
01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Actually, Dave Klose swears you can do a great cherry pie!

LDOJYD
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I am kinda with Zilla. Have a cast iron dutch oven that you place hot coals on top of and cook away. This makes some really cobblers and sech!

G$
01-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Lot's of great stuff here on savory items. Has anybody experimented with smoking for sweets? cakes? pies? cobblers?? Just wondering. Not even sure it's doable, but would be neat to finish off a great meal. Scott

After you are done smoking, try doing this in the firebox:

Take a bunch of bannanas, some mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts.

Slice the bananas lengthwise from stem to bottom, leaving the skin on. Slice them at least half through, but leave them in the peel and relatively intact.

Carefully open the banana just wide enough to place the chocolate chips and marshmallows inside. Stuff with as much chocolate chips and marshmallows as you can, and top it all with crushed nuts.

Wrap the bananas with the aluminum foil and place on the grill or directly in the coals of a fire. Leave in long enough to melt the chips and the marshmallows, about 7 minutes. The bannana skin gets black - don't worry. Unwrap bananas, open the peels a bit, and eat with a spoon.

You can eat them right ouf the peel, or drop some ice cream on top as well in a bowl.

Best part is, this all takes about 10 minutes.

BBQchef33
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
I do fresh fruit in a dutch oven(little bit of butter).. put in in the cooker when you start, or just put it in the firebox if your in a hurry.. once the fruit starts to soften, add some cognac(or whatever you want for liquid) and lay some pop-n-fresh biscuits right on top. I add a can of pie filling(apple, blueberry, etc..) or a can of fruit salad with the cognac. Towards the end start sprinkel some turbinado or brown sugar on the biscuits while the finish off. Dust again when they are finished.

Poof.. Cobbler.

Yakfishingfool
01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
mmmmmmmm....