PDA

View Full Version : G2 Chubby or Rebel 17

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
So I've been doing a lot research towards the purchase of my first vertical smoker. I've narrowed it down to a couple brands...Backwoods G2 Chubby or the Rebel 17. I'm strictly a backyard smoker, so going for the big smokers isn't necessary. I mainly do ribs and shoulders and I really just want to elevate my game from the Weber and barrel smoker I currently cook on. I live a mile from where they assemble the Rebels, but it's been kind of hard to get reviews on this brand (any feedback is greatly appreciated). I know that Backwoods has a great reputation so I'm not too concerned, but seeing as the G2 is newer I just wonder how it's performing. The Rebel is about $500 more with just a few little add ons (casters and tie downs). The obvious difference is the gravity feed and I just wonder the opinion of the two different systems. Bottom line, I'm going to buy one, just not sure which one. Which of the two brands would you buy?

Untraceable
03-16-2013, 04:14 AM
I can't speak about the rebel but G2 chubby is a pretty sweet little cooker. Full pans fit in it, very efficient, deceptively large. Cooks insanely even front to back.
7 hour cooks only use about 1/2-2/3rds the charcoal in the basket.
Cheap casters can be bought for 40 bucks.

My only cons are lack of vertical room, but I think I'm just desiring a larger cooker. No problems doing 8 racks of ribs or 2 big packers. It's really bigger than a wsm22.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/supertraining/B8E8742F-AC03-4F46-9EE2-471B7A232B3B-1696-0000020801CB4BFC_zps5443d9b5.jpg
http://instagr.am/p/U9qyI_jYHB/

smokinit
03-16-2013, 07:20 AM
The G2 is great i have one also there is a new kid on the block that offers a bit more check it out in our sales and ventures section.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 09:20 AM
One other thing that causes me a little hesitation on the Rebel is that it does not have a water pan. Feelings about this?

treytexag
03-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I can't speak about the rebel but G2 chubby is a pretty sweet little cooker. Full pans fit in it, very efficient, deceptively large. Cooks insanely even front to back.
7 hour cooks only use about 1/2-2/3rds the charcoal in the basket.
Cheap casters can be bought for 40 bucks.

My only cons are lack of vertical room, but I think I'm just desiring a larger cooker. No problems doing 8 racks of ribs or 2 big packers. It's really bigger than a wsm22.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/supertraining/B8E8742F-AC03-4F46-9EE2-471B7A232B3B-1696-0000020801CB4BFC_zps5443d9b5.jpg
http://instagr.am/p/U9qyI_jYHB/

I don't know what it is about this particular photo, but I love it. It's in the snow, got the whole Guru setup shown with the batteries running it, smoking away. This photo alone along with your comments on fuel usage makes a pretty compelling story about the Backwoods. Of course this is coming from someone who just bought an Assassin.

About water pans, I like to have the option. On all the smokers I've used over the last 20 years, I've always had the option to smoke with water. I do most of the time, but there are times when I don't. I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice to have options. My two cents anyway . . . .

treytexag
03-16-2013, 09:59 AM
BTW, even if the smoker doesn't come with or has been designed with a dedicated water pan, could you not simply find a pan of the correct size and place it "low" in the smoker and "cook with water"?

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
That's my thought too. When I spoke to the owner, Brian, he said his smokers don't need a water pan because of how humid his box gets. I'm in favor of supporting the local guy, but it's hard to find folks out there that have this brand of smoker.

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
The one advantage I do give to the Rebel, as well as a few other brands, compared to the Backwoods is their racks. I like the C channels and heavy gauge racks. Whereas the Backwoods are just wire racks that sit on top of an L block. I do agree with the photo...pretty sweet. Plus, I love that color.

treytexag
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
That's my thought too. When I spoke to the owner, Brian, he said his smokers don't need a water pan because of how humid his box gets. I'm in favor of supporting the local guy, but it's hard to find folks out there that have this brand of smoker.

I'm sure you know this, and I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think the guy that builds the Superior Smokers and the Assassin Smokers - Jeff Conley at C&C Manufacturing in Macon, Georgia - is the same guy that builds the Rebels. You'd have to check this out to confirm it, but if that's true, that should alleviate some of your concerns about the Rebel brand. We know, I know 'cuz I just bought an Assassin from Jeff Conley, that they build solid smokers. Just an additional data point to consider . . . .

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Huh, I'll have to check into that a little more. Thanks.

jmoney7269
03-16-2013, 11:05 AM
If your considering a backwoods you should also consider a Pitmaker BBQ safe. They are around the same price, much heavier built, seamless welded, built in stainless steel water pan, stainless steel stacks, ball valve intakes, built in reinforced heat deflector, huge charcoal basket, super heavy duty racks and channels, drip shield on the inside of the door to protect the door gasket and above the firebox door for basting, heavy duty wheels and casters and the main reason of all, they are not pop riveted or screwed together. It's like comparing a filing cambinet to a gun safe. All of them will cook the same quality food, so why not have something that will last twice as long and look a heck of alot better. Just my $.02 and it's definitely biased :thumb:

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 12:27 PM
I did verify that Jeff does fabricate the Rebel.

TriForMore
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Took a look at the Safe by Pitmaker and the build looks / sounds outstanding. I really like the all weld design. The big hesitation I have is the issue with maintaining low temps. I prefer to cook in that 225-240 area and it seems as though they get critized for heating up and not being able to dial them back. The cost is a $1K more than the the G2 Chubby and $500 more than the Rebel. Plus, I'm not sure if anyone carries the brand around here so I'd end up having to spend $$ to get here in MO. Looks solid for sure. I emailed them so we'll see what type of customer service I receive. That was another issue I kept seeing on some reviews.

Untraceable
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
The racks on the G2 are much beefier than the OG racks.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543796_403258966415741_13852269_n.jpg

I run my chubby dry with sand in the waterpan. I am a dry wsm guy so when I got this it was instantly trying to learn the pit for a march 2nd contest. Not sure if I ever care to try running water. cooks pretty dang good dry. temps can take off it you dont have the guru choked off bigtime. kind of nice though to have a smoker thats more likely to take off than reach temps in the most severe weather

Untraceable
03-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Vaults and safes are things of beauty from what Ive seen in pictures. Never seen one in person up here

Untraceable
03-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Started snowing during a cook and got a kick out of this
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/supertraining/23FA97A3-081A-48B5-935D-36EEA8E032BF-443-00000291094391E5_zpsb9a26564.jpg

Got to love iPhone cooker prons. Lol

LTG
03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Note: I've never used a Rebel but have seen a 17 up close. I did own a bws fatboy. Bws is easier to transport simply due to lighter weight. I thought the racks were cheap and now looking back the water was a complete pita after a comp or backyard cook. If moving it around isn't a concern or you have a trailer w a ramp I'd get the rebel. Bws are designed to be a water cooker. Maybe getting rid of the grease and sludge water after a cook isn't a big deal to you along with the cleaning the water pan. To me It wasn't my cup of tea.

jmoney7269
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
I run my chubby dry with sand in the waterpan. I am a dry wsm guy so when I got this it was instantly trying to learn the pit for a march 2nd contest. Not sure if I ever care to try running water. cooks pretty dang good dry. temps can take off on you if you dont have the guru choked off big time. kind of nice though to have a smoker thats more likely to take off and reach temps in the most severe weather
+1 and they use so much less fuel dry. My Vault is the same way, it will run 275 with only the guru cracked 25%
It really helps to know your pit for sure.

DBrentster
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm seriously considering the G2 chubb mainly because of its portability. Also looked at the onxy oven but am concerned about its build quality.

Back to the chubb, how easy is it to pick it up with two people? Looks like they removed the handles on the side which is a bummer. Towards the bottom there appear to be a couple places that you can fit your hand into...

Goddahavit
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Just to add to your decision Stumps is coming out with a smaller portable cooker, the stumpster.

A few picks on the stumps forum, and on the stumps smokers facebook.

Untraceable
03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I can load the G2 myself. Helps a lot to remove the racks and fire box. 2 people you wouldn't have to remove anything providing neither of the 2 people are on work restrictions. The only thing tough about it yourself is that there is no handles or great spots to grab it much like An atlas stone

Trumpstylz
03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't have one of these (yet), but I actually like that it doesn't come with the water pan. As far as I know, the ones that do are designed to be used with the water pan, and I like to cook without the pan.

The backwoods are very popular though, probably the most popular verticals out there from what I've seen.

Hcs
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
I Got a g2 chubby for valentines and I've loaded mine into a f250 4x4 by myself. I love it

thunderalley3
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
I Got a g2 chubby for valentines and I've loaded mine into a f250 4x4 by myself. I love it

Note to self,,,Don't mess with Hcs :wacko:

LTG
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm seriously considering the G2 chubb mainly because of its portability. Also looked at the onxy oven but am concerned about its build quality.

Back to the chubb, how easy is it to pick it up with two people? Looks like they removed the handles on the side which is a bummer. Towards the bottom there appear to be a couple places that you can fit your hand into...

Easy loading with 2 people.