PDA

View Full Version : Chicken: To skin or not to skin?

Mark
01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Rick's thread "Chicken Question" begs my question.

If properly marinated, brined and/or sprayed, I prefer my chicken skinless.
It stays moist, cleanups are easier and lower fat. But, sometimes, I leave it on and crank up the heat towards the end to crisp and maybe dip in Q sauce. You can tell when it's getting crispy because it's sizzling audibly.

RichardF
01-30-2006, 03:30 PM
since I'm not cooking for competition I always leave the skin on. I like the skin crispy with nice grill-marks. I think most remove the skin for either health or aesthetic reason, both of which do not concern me.

BrooklynQ
01-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I with Richard - properly cooked chicken skin is a culinary delight! It's probably my favorite part of the chicken. And I'd be willing to bet it's most people's, hence the popularity of chicken wings.

LDOJYD
01-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Yepper, skin on!

ricksegers
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
What I am waiting for is some intelligent soul to come up with a way to market chicken skin like they do potato chips.

RichardF
01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
What I am waiting for is some intelligent soul to come up with a way to market chicken skin like they do potato chips.

If you were on the Lower East Side of New York, it's called griveness (pan-fried chicken skin).

Or try this: http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=542

frognot
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Cook with the skin on and remove if trying to eat healthier.

Jeff_in_KC
01-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Well, you do find pork skins in bags in the snack section... just do some experimenting with chicken skin and who knows? You might have the next million dollar idea! :biggrin: Brethren Chips? Nice ring to it.

FatDad
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM

Tried it in the deep fryer once.
It seemed like just a second and it rolled up.
I let it cook a little and to me it was tough.
Good old pan fried skin is the best.

CarbonToe
01-31-2006, 02:42 AM
I tend to leave the skin on then apply the rub when Grilling but I've had better results removing the skin before rubbing when smoking/BBQing Chicken.

Sawdustguy
01-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Chicken done properly is always a treat for me. In competition I cook thighs and leave the skin on. At home I eat it anyway it is prepared. Hmmmmmmm Good!

ZILLA
01-31-2006, 08:13 AM
You have to cook the skin slower than pork skin to render the fat for some reason. I just take a small taste of the skin and then peel it off. Trying to live past 66. That was my dads age when he passed, Clogged arteries.

Mark
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Well, you do find pork skins in bags in the snack section... just do some experimenting with chicken skin and who knows? You might have the next million dollar idea! :biggrin: Brethren Chips? Nice ring to it.

With some lard dip. Lard is part of the white food group.