PDA

View Full Version : First butt on the BGE with pron

Jukas
03-12-2013, 10:18 PM
So I did my first butt on my BGE, and 8lb bone in. I trimmed the fat down, rubbed it and put it in the fridge overnight and started the smoker at 7am today with a mixture of pecan, apple and cherry wood chunks.

http://i.imgur.com/vEv2X9E.jpg

All told it was on for 11hrs before the bone wiggle told me it was ready. I was expecting a plateau somewhere around 160, but it marched right through and didn't actually stall out until 180.

http://i.imgur.com/uekAWvH.jpg

A couple of things I didn't anticipate.. the BGE held steady at 250F from 7am until about 3pm when it got warm enough in the sun that the temp climbed up to 300F before I caught it (my 7 day old Mavrick 732 bbq side probe died). Also apparently I have to learn how much wood chunks to build into the fire, as I only had smoke for the first 5 hours despite using at least six smal/med chunks of apple/pecan/cherry.

After letting the double foil wrapped butt rest for 45min I pulled it, and we devoured. I enjoyed my sammies on dinner rolls with some raspberry shack attack.

http://i.imgur.com/Y3cRpGI.jpg

Midnight Smoke
03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Nice cook! :clap:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a very successful smoke. That higher temperature didn't hurt anything.

Midnight Smoke
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I missed this,

"Also apparently I have to learn how much wood chunks to build into the fire, as I only had smoke for the first 5 hours despite using at least six smal/med chunks of apple/pecan/cherry."

For me I usually do not see smoke for long with my Egg. Add to much wood and it could cause bitterness. After 5 hours I think you have all the smoke you need or the meat will take.

Oldbob
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Looks good to Me !!

Big M1ke
03-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Yum :thumb:

Hoss
03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Tip,just because you do not see smoke coming out of a BGE,that does not mean that it is not there.The lump carries some smoke flavor.!You had plenty of wood in there.Eggs tend to cook down through the lump first,(from top to bottom)then spread out,if you light them on top.I hope when the cook was over,you shut the egg down (top and bottom vents)and saved the leftover lump for the next cook.If you fill it up before you start,you will be amazed how long it will go on a lo n slo cook.I have held 250 dome for 32 hours when filled to the top of the fire ring before lighting from the top using a heat diffuser.A good technique is to stand chunks/splits on end and add lump around them til full or use chips and mix throughout the lump before lighting.BTW,Yummee lookin vittles!:grin:

You want thin,blue smoke,not thick white smoke.Light the egg,get it to temp,stabilize for a little while (30 mins or so)when you can barely see smoke,put the food on.Thick white smoke is not good for Smokin.

Bludawg
03-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Yummy looking bark! You didn't have a stall because your temp was at 300. That is where I cook mine start to finish.

Smoothsmoke
03-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Looks tasty!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

R2Egg2Q
03-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Looks good! Nice job!

El Ropo
03-13-2013, 03:36 AM
the BGE held steady at 250F from 7am until about 3pm when it got warm enough in the sun that the temp climbed up to 300F before I caught it.

Next time that happens, just go with it. Don't fight the feeling of high temps. Unless the cooker is jumping over 350, I don't ever see a reason to panic and start messing with intakes, etc.

Relax, pop another wobbly pop, and let the magic happen.

VeRTiGo91
03-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I could eat that! Nice job!!

PaPaQ
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Sure looks good!

Bluebird
03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Looks delicious.

Groundhog66
03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Relax, pop another wobbly pop, and let the magic happen.

:laugh:

Bonewagon
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
That's a mean lookin' sammy! Nice job. :thumb:

Jukas
03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Tip,just because you do not see smoke coming out of a BGE,that does not mean that it is not there.The lump carries some smoke flavor.!You had plenty of wood in there.Eggs tend to cook down through the lump first,(from top to bottom)then spread out,if you light them on top.I hope when the cook was over,you shut the egg down (top and bottom vents)and saved the leftover lump for the next cook.If you fill it up before you start,you will be amazed how long it will go on a lo n slo cook.I have held 250 dome for 32 hours when filled to the top of the fire ring before lighting from the top using a heat diffuser.A good technique is to stand chunks/splits on end and add lump around them til full or use chips and mix throughout the lump before lighting.BTW,Yummee lookin vittles!:grin:

You want thin,blue smoke,not thick white smoke.Light the egg,get it to temp,stabilize for a little while (30 mins or so)when you can barely see smoke,put the food on.Thick white smoke is not good for Smokin.

I normally light my egg in the center of the lump, should I be lighting it in several spots to help disperse the fire better?

I've looked at the last firebox after the last two cooks trying to figure out how to best lay out the chunks for the smoke. It seems to burning the very center, top to bottom before spreading out. After this cook, I found a big chunk of applewood I had burried on the outer side untouched. I had been adding the wood on the outer circle near the edge. Perhaps I'd be better off adding the wood chunks about half way out from the center of the firebox, layered at different depths?

I always close the vents and save the lump for the next cook!

cowgirl
03-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Great job, looks delicious!!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Bark sandwich for me please. Yum!!