PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Thread: BBQ Brethren "Let's Do It Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

Moose
03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Our new category is called...

"Let's Do it Aussie Style!"

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/BBQ%20Brthren%20Throwdown%20Stuff/Australia-Day-009_zpsef3785b7.jpg

Looks like good eats to me!

As chosen by AussieTitch, for his landslide victory in the "Nuts" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING!

An American was hoping to immigrate to Australia.
Upon arriving in Australia, he was questioned by a customs officer, “What is your business in Australia?”

“I wish to immigrate,” was the Americans reply .

The customs officer then asked, “Do you have a conviction record?”

Confused, the American replied, “I didn’t think you still needed one.”

I suggest the next Throwdown be "Australian ".
Only rule would be,present something that says Australia to you.
we do have great sense of humour and usually expect to made fun of.
Your turn to Google us.
Ten Australian foods to help you on your way.

1. Barbeque, usually a line of Barbies,burnt offerings of Sausage and chops or steak, turned constantly .while drinking copious amounts of beer.
2.The Australian Meat Pie, full of stuff you would not normally eat but goes great with Beer and Football.
3.Vegemite,on Toast,with Lettuce ,or what gets between your toes when wearing thongs
4.Lammington, usually associate with the local church fundraiser,washed down with a cup of Tea for the Shiela's or a Beer for the blokes
5.BBQ Chicken,crisp Dry and washed down with Beer

6.Spaghetti Bolognese, The sauce came in a Can and was ok, as it was never touched by any Italian Hands

7.Roast Lamb,Sunday roast that perfumed the country, Ladies served it up after Church with ample Bottles of Beer for the Blokes

8.Pavlova.Really Australian but the Kiwi's keep trying to lay claim to it
9.Violet Crumble, Something to suck on after a Sunday drinking beer.

10. Fish and Chips, Friday night delight washed down with ample beer.

Hmmmm...Sounds like we get to drink a LOT of beer, which is always a good thing! :becky:

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules will be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation in this thread.

bigabyte
03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Excellent call Titch!:thumb:

I like it when my wife does that whole "down under" thing.

Guess I better go get some Fosters.

landarc
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh, I know a hot little bird that makes a killer pavlova. I wonder if we are still not talking?

I could offer to go down under I suppose.

Bluesman
03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah....:biggrin1: Wonder if I can get a whole kangaroo on my pit....:twitch: need to grab in a few cases of Fosters.....:scared:

chriscw81
03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I loves me some Australia but vegemite should only be used as a punishment.....or a penal colony :mrgreen:

And, yes, I've tried it :puke:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MS2SB
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
So when I'm cooking I need to stir everything in the opposite direction?

Gore
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Great, jumbo shrimp on the barbie it is.

http://trialx.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/recipes/Shrimp_On_The_Barbie-3.jpg

Will add the bloomin' onion, Foster's and side of beetroot, and we'll be set. :thumb:

landarc
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I need yabbies and marron over here

bigabyte
03-12-2013, 09:01 PM
...vegemite should only be used as a punishment.....or a penal colony :mrgreen:

OK, I think as a moderator I am going to have to draw the line at the talk about yeasty penal colonies.:cop:

Keep it...well...not clean...but...well...you know...not all super nasty and stuff!:nope:

caseydog
03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
So, throw some shrimp on the barbie, deep fry an onion until greasy, cook a tough steak badly, and drink a lot of Foster's. Got it. :thumb:

Looks like an easy throwdown, next week.

CD :becky:

Bluesman
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Is it okay to use an Outback menu for guidance...:noidea:

landarc
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Isn't that the special rule?

bigabyte
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Why not? We figured out where the Aussie brethren were located using the Outback Steakhouse map that Silverfinger posted. And the place specializes in food, not maps. So just imagine how accurate the food must be.

Bluesman
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
That's right Silverfinger was just there...........bastige has an IN....farker...:evil:

Bluesman
03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Silverfinger has been bating us for over a week........Farker is in with the Aussies......the Farking Fix is IN.......:evil:

Proof Positive
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155672

Will work for bbq
03-12-2013, 10:50 PM
For inspiration.

Gangnam Style parody "Aussie Battler Style" by Fitzy and Wippa - YouTube

caseydog
03-12-2013, 11:03 PM
For inspiration.

Gangnam Style parody "Aussie Battler Style" by Fitzy and Wippa - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzI04jXR-y0)

Thanks for that educational video. Between my experiences at Outback Steakhouse, Foster's beer commercials, the Crocodile Dundee movies, and this video, I now know EVERYTHING I need to know about authentic Australian cuisine. :thumb:

Good thing I don't take buccs seriously, or I'd be making a Thai curry entry. :tsk:

I need to add chips and gravy to my shrimps, greasy deep fried onion, tough steak and Foster's menu. I was looking for a proper starch, and you found it for me. Does that make this a team entry?

CD

boogiesnap
03-12-2013, 11:18 PM
dammit i hate these two farking farking friggin farking damn threads!!!!!!

anyhoo, i'll post in the other thread tomorrow....better off for everyone anyway. :)

Titch
03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
I loves me some Australia but vegemite should only be used as a punishment.....or a penal colony :mrgreen:

And, yes, I've tried it :puke:

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yummo.
kicks Ass.
Here is some light reading.
using the Q in leg irons may be the shot if you get stuck.

http://www.hht.net.au/discover/highlights/kids_fact_sheets/a_day_in_the_life_of_a_convict

Food

In the first few years of the colony there was not a lot of food available. Crops did not grow and the colony relied heavily on supplies coming from England.

Government employed convicts were given a set ration of 3kg beef, 3kg flour, 1.3kg maize meal and 0.9 kg of sugar per week. They were also given tea. Fresh vegetables were uncommon. Women convicts were given less rations, as their work was often not as physical.

Convicts who worked for free settlers were expected to be fed by their master.

Punishment & rewards

A convict could be flogged with the cat-o-nine tails for crimes like swearing, a poor attitude, being drunk as well as stealing small items. Convicts who ran way from their work were often sentenced to work in leg irons for at least 6 months and up to 3 years. These leg irons could only be put on or taken off by a blacksmith. If the crime was really serious, they might be sent to harsh penal colonies in Port Macquarie, Newcastle or Norfolk Island.

No mention of Burgers.

boogiesnap
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM

"team entry"

buccaneer
03-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Yummo.
kicks Ass.
Here is some light reading.
using the Q in leg irons may be the shot if you get stuck.

http://www.hht.net.au/discover/highlights/kids_fact_sheets/a_day_in_the_life_of_a_convict

Food

In the first few years of the colony there was not a lot of food available. Crops did not grow and the colony relied heavily on supplies coming from England.

Government employed convicts were given a set ration of 3kg beef, 3kg flour, 1.3kg maize meal and 0.9 kg of sugar per week. They were also given tea. Fresh vegetables were uncommon. Women convicts were given less rations, as their work was often not as physical.

Convicts who worked for free settlers were expected to be fed by their master.

Punishment & rewards

A convict could be flogged with the cat-o-nine tails for crimes like swearing, a poor attitude, being drunk as well as stealing small items. Convicts who ran way from their work were often sentenced to work in leg irons for at least 6 months and up to 3 years. These leg irons could only be put on or taken off by a blacksmith. If the crime was really serious, they might be sent to harsh penal colonies in Port Macquarie, Newcastle or Norfolk Island.

No mention of Burgers.

The poms were geniuses.
Sentenced poor slobs who stole bread to Australia, compared to England that is paradise.
Get pissed in Austalia and they sent you here
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=norfolk+island+image&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i%7C4%3Bd%7CWY62-4k2YVcGFM%3A

Paradise!

Titch
03-13-2013, 02:27 AM
If the folk here are lucky they may get to see people cook dressed like this.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/corkscrewtitch53/f5c7aa33.jpg

buccaneer
03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Hey, a chance to make a Thai Curry entry for a TD!!Shhhh

Hmmm, this will require a special rule of only gas grills if we were strict about it, eh Titch?:wink:

Titch
03-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Hey, a chance to make a Thai Curry entry for a TD!!Shhhh

Hmmm, this will require a special rule of only gas grills if we were strict about it, eh Titch?:wink:

What about the old Brick wood stick ones made out of Besser?

buccaneer
03-13-2013, 05:12 AM
What about the old Brick wood stick ones made out of Besser?
Like a hardwood pit?

Titch
03-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Like a hardwood pit?

Brick BBQ and stick fuel

buccaneer
03-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Stick fire on any flat surface with a grate will pass too! :thumb:
BYO roo!

buccaneer
03-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Man I am looking forward to what our whackadoodle cuzes come up with!

deguerre
03-13-2013, 06:05 AM
So, basically, we cook anything that doesn't kill us first...

bigabyte
03-13-2013, 06:52 AM
So, basically, we burn anything that doesn't kill us first...

ftfy

Moose
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
If the folk here are lucky they may get to see people cook dressed like this.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/corkscrewtitch53/f5c7aa33.jpg

The sheath for that squirt bottle is in a most unusual location...:shock:

Oldyote
03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
I just ordered some Vegemite but its going to take 18 to 24 days to get here.

Any chance we can extend this TD?

I'm also wondering if the instructions are printed on the jar or if I should hang on to this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fap9eolzmU8/SzBXVV_cpBI/AAAAAAAAFOw/SdFSN97K-Ik/s400/Vegemite.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=vegemite&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=tuwlTGUUxTsyjM&tbnid=5bg8OzvNkk9xAM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aussiepete.com%2F2009%2F12%2F i-love-my-vegemite.html&ei=lO9AUbXiNerGygHivIDICQ&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNHDkOPSefmcMPHsUFQfqy22Y9b6kA&ust=1363296528206899)

Bluesman
03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Okay, now as it stands the special rules, to date are this...Right?

1.) We need a gas Grill
2.) Dressed like an Alien Transvestite, in a fish net body stocking with a bottle holder with spikes..:twitch:
3.) Now we have to cook Vegemite, which is spread all over....Got it so far..:thumb:
4.) Drink a case of Fosters while cooking.....:doh:
5.) It has to be done, within the Meridian time table of timing to the Aussie calendar which has 30 days in February, which extends the TD by...ah 2 days.

How's this so far......:biggrin1:

Got It..........:shock:

caseydog
03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
So, basically, we burn anything that doesn't kill us first...

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get really hammered, and burn my meat, SmokinAussie style. :thumb:

CD

MS2SB
03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get really hammered, and burn my meat, SmokinAussie style. :thumb:

CD

This I'm an expert at.

Titch
03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Bit mor information on Aussie BBQ for you..

When a man volunteers to do the Barbecue, usually on a Saturday, the following chain of events is put into motion:

Barbecue Routine
1) The woman buys the food.

2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
Here comes the important part:

4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

5) The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.

6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

Important again:

7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine.....

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11) They tell good old Aussie barbie jokes like:
Question: What do you call a boomerang that wont come back?
Answer: A stick.

12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....

By the way, where is Bill?

beercuer
03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Hmmmm..., I'm in dialogue with my pit boss on this one.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/beercuer/pitboss_cornelius_zps6c0c97e2.jpg

Bluesman
03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
FARK.....revision to the rules forthcoming

chicagokp
03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

What is this salad thing you speak of?

Moose
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Bill has been very busy working on the 2011/2012 Aussie Lamb Farker awards. Should be back anytime now, I hear...:whistle:

colonel00
03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Bluesman, don't forget that it is a requirement to have shrimp on the barbie too

MS2SB
03-13-2013, 06:02 PM

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/beercuer/pitboss_cornelius_zps6c0c97e2.jpg

Are parrots an Aussie delicacy?

Titch
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Cockatiel is part of the Cockatoo family

HOW TO COOK A COCKATOO.
1. Put cockatoo and a stone into billy of boiling water.
2. Boil until the stone is soft.
3. Throw away cockatoo and eat the stone.

Titch
03-13-2013, 06:17 PM

Great little friends to have.
we use to take one camping with us

VA-Dave
03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
question: What do you call a boomerang that wont come back?

LMAO!!!!!!

Dave

landarc
03-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Wait! Now we have to fark a lamb! Is there some line in this TD?

chicagokp
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Titch, I hear a pie floater is an Aussie delicacy. Can you explain?

Titch
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Titch, I hear a pie floater is an Aussie delicacy. Can you explain?

The legendary Adelaide “pie floater” – hot meat pie with tomato sauce in a bowl of hot green pea soup!

Some first time diners swear by these local delights; others swear at them!

The Floater - aka Pie Floater:
The South Australian National Trust has traced the history of the pie floater: an impressive history tracing back 130+ years.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie, South Australia, conceived by one Ern "Shorty" Bradley in 1890's - but, no one really knows how. Did he inadvertently drop a pie into a bowl of soup? Or though pea soup with meat has long been part of English culinary history, with honourable mentions in the 19th Century, including Yorkshire "pea and pie supper", "pea soup with eel", "suet dumplings or saveloys", (Dumplings in soup were known as "Floaters"). Maybe, it developed from those dishes, which are useful when you have a lot of people to feed on a budget: for example at a cricket match, or at harvest time or even at the footy.
The pie floater is a meal available in Australia, which consists of the traditional meat pie sitting, unusually inverted, in a plate of thick green pea soup. It is traditionally served and covered with tomato sauce and, although subject to the taste of the individual consumer, mint sauce and salt and pepper are the also traditionally added to complement the dish. Another popular condiment is vinegar or even worcestershire sauce.

Happy Hapgood
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Time to dig the roo tail out of the freezer and where's that darn didgeridoo? ;D

Happy Hapgood
03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Bit mor information on Aussie BBQ for you..

When a man volunteers to do the Barbecue, usually on a Saturday, the following chain of events is put into motion:

Barbecue Routine
1) The woman buys the food.

2) The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.

3) The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.
Here comes the important part:

4) THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

More routine....

5) The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.

6) The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

Important again:

7) THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

More routine.....

9) After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
10) Everyone PRAISES the MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11) They tell good old Aussie barbie jokes like:
Question: What do you call a boomerang that wont come back?

12) The man asks the woman how she enjoyed 'her night off.' And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing some women....

Small World! It's IDENTICAL here in Louisiana! :clap:

chicagokp
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

You eat salad too?

chicagokp
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
The legendary Adelaide “pie floater” – hot meat pie with tomato sauce in a bowl of hot green pea soup!

Some first time diners swear by these local delights; others swear at them!

The Floater - aka Pie Floater:
The South Australian National Trust has traced the history of the pie floater: an impressive history tracing back 130+ years.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie, South Australia, conceived by one Ern "Shorty" Bradley in 1890's - but, no one really knows how. Did he inadvertently drop a pie into a bowl of soup? Or though pea soup with meat has long been part of English culinary history, with honourable mentions in the 19th Century, including Yorkshire "pea and pie supper", "pea soup with eel", "suet dumplings or saveloys", (Dumplings in soup were known as "Floaters"). Maybe, it developed from those dishes, which are useful when you have a lot of people to feed on a budget: for example at a cricket match, or at harvest time or even at the footy.
The pie floater is a meal available in Australia, which consists of the traditional meat pie sitting, unusually inverted, in a plate of thick green pea soup. It is traditionally served and covered with tomato sauce and, although subject to the taste of the individual consumer, mint sauce and salt and pepper are the also traditionally added to complement the dish. Another popular condiment is vinegar or even worcestershire sauce.

I may have to try this....but I will be sure to get chit faced first! :wacko:

Bluesman
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Okay added to the Special Rules: Amendment 987

In addition to aforementioned rules in Post #33....Go back and read them, copies cost $$$

1.) You need to enlist your wife in the activity, pay is optional
2.) Must have some women named Barbie and drape shrimp all over her...I like this:thumb:
3.) Women do all the cooking and the Mates just put their meat on the grill...Not sure about this...:shocked:
4.) Cooking a Parrot is Okay as long as it is Multi-Colored and Neutered....Whatever
5.) Were up to 2 cases of Fosters

So does THIS about cover IT!!!!!!

bigabyte
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
You missed the floating pies.

Bluesman
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
You missed the floating pies.

Fark...:doh: That will be included in Amendment 2068. Is there a specifac float or can I just make it up....:twitch:

bigabyte
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
How the fark would I know? I'm still trying to figure out the regular farking rules for cripes sake!:doh:

beercuer
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Cockatiel is part of the Cockatoo family

HOW TO COOK A COCKATOO.
1. Put cockatoo and a stone into billy of boiling water.
2. Boil until the stone is soft.
3. Throw away cockatoo and eat the stone.

ROFLMAO! It is consoling to know that soft stones are preferrable to eat over tiels/toos. After all, one thing I am NOT is a cannibal. Little rascal has me wrapped around HIS finger, Sir Titch, as you say what great friends they are. ... On the other hand, I have this border collie, a true shepherd dog... . Ah, who am I kidding-- I'm talking a flock or fark o' bald sheep.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/beercuer/aussiedog_kaela_zpsb55e5101.jpg

Bluesman
03-13-2013, 09:26 PM
How the fark would I know? I'm still trying to figure out the regular farking rules for cripes sake!:doh:

Aren't you in CHARGE!!! :shock: Wow who do we trust now Moose..:tsk: It's over, Over I tell you...:drama: WWGALD.........or better yet MONGO:tape:

beercuer
03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Okay added to the Special Rules: Amendment 987

In addition to aforementioned rules in Post #33....Go back and read them, copies cost $$$

1.) You need to enlist your wife in the activity, pay is optional
2.) Must have some women named Barbie and drape shrimp all over her...I like this:thumb:
3.) Women do all the cooking and the Mates just put their meat on the grill...Not sure about this...:shocked:
4.) Cooking a Parrot is Okay as long as it is Multi-Colored and Neutered....Whatever
5.) Were up to 2 cases of Fosters

So does THIS about cover IT!!!!!!

Thank you, Bluesman! Oh, heaven frogive me for this one, but I am reminded of the joke, "How many men does it take to open a beer?" -- "None... it should be openned when she brings it to you."

Titch
03-13-2013, 10:07 PM

What,you throw sticks as well.?

caliking
03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
"3.Vegemite,on Toast,with Lettuce ,or what gets between your toes when wearing thongs"

Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering what wearing skimpy undies has to do with your feet?:confused: Or do I not want to know?

Titch
03-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Thongs,possibly called flip flops over there.
If you have ever worn them in a milking shed you would know

MS2SB
03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Thongs,possibly called flip flops over there.
If you have ever worn them in a milking shed you would know

Seems to me that wearing proper footwear in a milking shed would be a "No Chit" sort of idea.

landarc
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
WWLD? I would follow Bigabyte and Moose into the fray, unquestioning and fanatical!

Gore
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
WWLD? I would follow Bigabyte and Moose into the fray, unquestioning and fanatical!

Since Bob and I are now attached at the hip in many people's signatures, I have to do the same. I'm not a particular fan of having Chris and Moose lead me down the path of chaos and destruction, but I really see no alternative. I guess I'll be making SPAMfish tacos with beetroot and eggs.

MS2SB
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

So the three of you are going into a milking shed wearing nothing but thongs?

Oldyote
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
So the three of you are going into a milking shed wearing nothing but thongs?

If pron should be attached please post a disclaimer.

Bluesman
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry but wearing a thong will NOT be a special rule...Nope, Ah ah, No...brain bleach please

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Fine, thongs optional then. I'm good with that!:becky:

Bluesman
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Fine, then they're Optional...:tsk:

MS2SB
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM
And someone please pass the bleach. I'll be drinking it this time.

caseydog
03-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I did some research today, and have come to the conclusion that there is no real Aussie food. Aussie farkers just adopt foods from other parts of the world, and call it farking Australian. Well, other than indigenous foods, and I don't think I can even get the ingredients for that here. But, from what I understand, most Aussie farkers don't eat indigenous Aussie foods. They eat farking curry.

So, if I decide to enter this TD, I'm going to cook whatever the fark I want, that I think Aussies should like, with the exception of buccs, who knows I don't have sophisticated taste buds. :tsk:

Happy Hapgood
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
What,you throw sticks as well.?

Well there are some "slight" differences.

Y'all have Crocks and we have Gators, We mainly throw UP and see if it sticks, and we don't throw sticks although we may throw horse shoes. Then we use our empty 'er Coca-Cola cans for target practice.

Now as for the Wife part, Hell Yeah! :thumb:

Titch
03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I did some research today, and have come to the conclusion that there is no real Aussie food. Aussie farkers just adopt foods from other parts of the world, and call it farking Australian. Well, other than indigenous foods, and I don't think I can even get the ingredients for that here. But, from what I understand, most Aussie farkers don't eat indigenous Aussie foods. They eat farking curry.

So, if I decide to enter this TD, I'm going to cook whatever the fark I want, that I think Aussies should like, with the exception of buccs, who knows I don't have sophisticated taste buds. :tsk:

But we do drink lots of beer

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
I think it's the beer that makes it Australian. I think I've got a lock on this thing. At least ingredient-wise.

Happy Hapgood
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I think it's the beer that makes it Australian. I think I've got a lock on this thing. At least ingredient-wise.

I think we may All be in agreement on the beer thang. It's not limited to any one place on earth me thinks ;D

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm conspiring with Titch behind the scenes to see if he can give me a game-winning Aussie recipe.

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Come on Titch....give me something good...

Happy Hapgood
03-14-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm conspiring with Titch behind the scenes to see if he can give me a game-winning Aussie recipe.

Don't make me pull out my roo tail! :grin:

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Well, Titch was sort of a no-go. He thought my idea was the way to go, and we all know that's not right.:der:

It's OK though. I'm going to check with buccs now.

Come on...BIG BUCCS!!!:whoo:

landarc
03-14-2013, 11:07 PM
So you and CD will both be making curry, but, yours will be more sophisticated?

landarc
03-14-2013, 11:29 PM
If I grill an American Wagyu, but, post with an accent, will it be allowed as Aussie Wagyu?

caseydog
03-14-2013, 11:41 PM
But we do drink lots of beer

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that my research showed that you drink a lot of beer. According to some research, it is a lot of Foster's, but according to other research, it is very clearly not Foster's.

So, I need to do some drinking... err, thinking before I decide whether to enter this TD.

CD

bigabyte
03-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Well, Buccs also thinks I should do the exact same thing, but drink twice as much beer with whiskey chasers.:wacko:

Although...he may have given me an idea. Or I gave him an idea. Or I'm just talking chit and not even going to make anything to begin with.

Hmmmmm....

beercuer
03-15-2013, 12:17 AM
I think we may All be in agreement on the beer thang. It's not limited to any one place on earth me thinks ;D

My policy is, I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-o'-me than a frontal lobotomy. http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/beercuer/emoticons/1186.gif

chicagokp
03-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Well, Buccs also thinks I should do the exact same thing, but drink twice as much beer with whiskey chasers.:wacko:

Although...he may have given me an idea. Or I gave him an idea. Or I'm just talking chit and not even going to make anything to begin with.

Hmmmmm....

Just admit it, you're making the pie floater aren't you?

beercuer
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Whoohoo! I got it, I got it, I got it! After much consternation, I know what I plan to attempt, and it might even earn me entry into the esteemed Zero's Club.:dancer:

CharredApron
03-15-2013, 10:09 PM
"Snags" That all I have to say. Bubbles and squeak? Bring it!

buccaneer
03-15-2013, 11:13 PM

Hmmmmm....

Wha...?
You never talked to me.
Boogiesnap talked to...wait...oh man, I am so confused...

Kathy's Smokin'
03-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Do I pick up my ingredients by :plane:, :flock: or :flypig:?

bigabyte
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
When in doubt, do the sheep. Isn't that the Aussie way?:caked:

Kathy's Smokin'
03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Okay, I'm off to catch a flying sheep. See ya! :wave:

I think a flying fark would do, too, wouldn't one?

Titch
03-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Lamb:hungry:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/corkscrewtitch53/39eddab3.jpg

Gore
03-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Great looking beets in that salad! :thumb:

Titch
03-17-2013, 04:43 AM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/corkscrewtitch53/Summer%202013/155Medium_zps0ba9db0a.jpg

CharredApron
03-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Picked up some prawns for the grill, I don't know if they are big enough. Could only get 4 in the sink!

Gore
03-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Look like some nice jumbo shrimp. I bet they'd be great marinated in Fosters. :thumb:

CharredApron
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Prawns Baby! Marinated in "Skinny Blond"

MS2SB
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I've had a hankering for lamb lately, now the question becomes chops or rack of?

Kathy's Smokin'
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Legs are good, too! :hungry:

bigabyte
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I've had a hankering for lamb lately, now the question becomes chops or rack of?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Elmer_Fudd.png

I weally don't know if it's wight to take a whole piece of wamb wike that and make infewior chops. I say wack off.

MS2SB
03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
It's a choice between loin chops like these guys
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/dgoldman17/smallloinlambchops_zps80a87300.jpg

or a rack. I'd never desecrate a whole rack by cutting it down into little lamb lollipops. (Or would I?)

buccaneer
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Do the chops!
Then cook 'em!

beercuer
03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Elmer_Fudd.png

I weally don't know if it's wight to take a whole piece of wamb wike that and make infewior chops. I say wack off.

...And maybe twy a wittle wabbit on wye bwead?

talisker63
03-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Chuck a shrimp on the barbie?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/20/ehana2ed.jpg

Titch you have placed us at a disadvantage, its not lamb season down here...

Gore
03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
It's a choice between loin chops like these guys
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/dgoldman17/smallloinlambchops_zps80a87300.jpg

or a rack. I'd never desecrate a whole rack by cutting it down into little lamb lollipops. (Or would I?)

We've gotten the chops and the rack of lamb at Costco on many occasions. The rack is preferred. I enjoy very much cooking it whole as it is a beautiful presentation and is delicious, but the last few times I've cut it down into lollipops.

Kathy's Smokin'
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Just to show my Aussie friends how high they sit in my esteem and affection, I bought a 2 kg bag of WHITE FLOUR, something I have not done for at least 25 years.

You're welcome, Mates. :grouphug:

deguerre
03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
These guys just showed up at my door looking for you Kathy...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL1ilLZpJ2BPKPGArLurCn2t4Ccb7Dt 6usJIZ62VjYo-XhQ3AS1ReBsr5A

MS2SB
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
We've gotten the chops and the rack of lamb at Costco on many occasions. The rack is preferred. I enjoy very much cooking it whole as it is a beautiful presentation and is delicious, but the last few times I've cut it down into lollipops.

I've also done both before and they're both excellent. Seems that around here Costco is the only place to get lamb that won't cost you an arm and a leg. For the cut down rack do you do a 1 or 2 bone chop?

buccaneer
03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Just to show my Aussie friends how high they sit in my esteem and affection, I bought a 2 kg bag of WHITE FLOUR, something I have not done for at least 25 years.

You're welcome, Mates. :grouphug:
Ooh goodie, damper!:clap:

Kathy's Smokin'
03-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Shhhhh, don't tell those farkers, they'll steal my idea.

Kathy's Smokin'
03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
These guys just showed up at my door looking for you Kathy...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL1ilLZpJ2BPKPGArLurCn2t4Ccb7Dt 6usJIZ62VjYo-XhQ3AS1ReBsr5A

Here pussy, pussy, nice little pussies..... OUWWW!!

Happy Hapgood
03-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Yep, The Pussy got you! What, No Dogs?

Kathy's Smokin'
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
He was running around with his blue horse ball and wasn't there to protect me. :tsk:

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
I have been working on this TD since it was posted. I consider myself a decent cook. But I have to admit that I bit off more than I could chew on this one. My initial plan was to make spicy curried lamb sausages, accompanied with the usual eggs, chips and beans. Thank God I didn't get that far, right now my costs are out of control for a TD. Especially since my wife won't eat Lamb! I had my butcher grind me a mix of 15% fat lamb, coarse. To which I added 1/2 lb of my own ground pork that was rich in fat. Spices added were as follows:
1 part red curry powder
1 part yellow curry powder
smidgen of Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Pepper powder (My buddy grows these)
2 part onion flakes
1 part smoked paprika
2 parts macerated coconut
1 part corriander seeds
1 part fennel seeds

I thought I was off to a really good start. Mixed the sausage, stuffed it into natural hog casings, let it rest over night in my walk-in fridge.

Tonight while making dinner as usual, turkey meatballs and spaghetti. "Spag Bog" I smoked the lamb sausages over a low fire -200 degrees, while I was frying the meatballs on the side burner of the gasser. The snags looked great, I was so farking happy, when they were done smoking I took the smallest one of the bunch and tasted it. OMG It tasted like CHIT! I am sitting in my kitchen trying to figure out where I went wrong. I'm sure I over mixed the filling and lost the coarse grind! It was dry like sawdust and was missing any of the "fatty" like sausage Umami.

bigabyte
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh man, I hate when a batch of sausage goes wrong like that. It really farking sucks.

To be honest though...if they looked good...we might not have been any wiser!:heh: This place runs on the honor system, and you certainly have plenty of that!:thumb:

To be honest, MANY have posted dishes that they thought tasted like crap (maybe even myself), and even said they tasted like crap but posted them any way, and they even get VOTES!:shock::der: When the dish is fully assembled and then you find out it's not that good...why not? You already did the effort.

I guess in this case, I wouldn't want to make another dish using bad ingredients, so this REALLY sucks for you. Sorry to hear.

Did you get any pics of the sausage? You could post those and enter them? I think a number of folks do sympathy votes for some reason...and it can be fun getting those on a dish gone wrong (at least I think so). I got votes for grinding a bunch of McRibs into a farking meatloaf...and it tasted every bit as "good" as you would expect!:laugh:

I can't figure out why folks vote for some of the things they do sometimes.:der:

Titch
03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I have been working on this TD since it was posted. I consider myself a decent cook. But I have to admit that I bit off more than I could chew on this one. My initial plan was to make spicy curried lamb sausages, accompanied with the usual eggs, chips and beans. Thank God I didn't get that far, right now my costs are out of control for a TD. Especially since my wife won't eat Lamb! I had my butcher grind me a mix of 15% fat lamb, coarse. To which I added 1/2 lb of my own ground pork that was rich in fat. Spices added were as follows:
1 part red curry powder
1 part yellow curry powder
smidgen of Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Pepper powder (My buddy grows these)
2 part onion flakes
1 part smoked paprika
2 parts macerated coconut
1 part corriander seeds
1 part fennel seeds

I thought I was off to a really good start. Mixed the sausage, stuffed it into natural hog casings, let it rest over night in my walk-in fridge.

Tonight while making dinner as usual, turkey meatballs and spaghetti. "Spag Bog" I smoked the lamb sausages over a low fire -200 degrees, while I was frying the meatballs on the side burner of the gasser. The snags looked great, I was so farking happy, when they were done smoking I took the smallest one of the bunch and tasted it. OMG It tasted like CHIT! I am sitting in my kitchen trying to figure out where I went wrong. I'm sure I over mixed the filling and lost the coarse grind! It was dry like sawdust and was missing any of the "fatty" like sausage Umami.

I have never eaten a Lamb sausage:twitch:
Would be as dry as chitt.
Remove from the skins and make them into Kofta

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Looks good at this point!

Kathy's Smokin'
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Hometruckin. I think we've all had disasters, I've had my share. Condolences for your grocery budget.

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 10:43 PM
and here too!

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
the final countdown even looks good!

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Therefore, based on the chitty taste, I will not be submitting this as an entry into the "Lets do it Aussie style" TD. If it's not tasting good, then it's not gettin my name on the hood!
Thanks for lookin,
Jed

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Oh man, I hate when a batch of sausage goes wrong like that. It really farking sucks.

To be honest though...if they looked good...we might not have been any wiser!:heh: This place runs on the honor system, and you certainly have plenty of that!:thumb:

To be honest, MANY have posted dishes that they thought tasted like crap (maybe even myself), and even said they tasted like crap but posted them any way, and they even get VOTES!:shock::der: When the dish is fully assembled and then you find out it's not that good...why not? You already did the effort.

I guess in this case, I wouldn't want to make another dish using bad ingredients, so this REALLY sucks for you. Sorry to hear.

Did you get any pics of the sausage? You could post those and enter them? I think a number of folks do sympathy votes for some reason...and it can be fun getting those on a dish gone wrong (at least I think so). I got votes for grinding a bunch of McRibs into a farking meatloaf...and it tasted every bit as "good" as you would expect!:laugh:

I can't figure out why folks vote for some of the things they do sometimes.:der:
Thanks Chris, but as you said, "we are on an honor system" I believe that! Without honor we have no self respect. A failure is just that! A temporary loss of superficial grace.
Thanks for your response and had I not tried..... I would not have learned!

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks Cathy, all is well that ends....well kinda sorta!

CharredApron
03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey Tish, added pork fat and the ground lamb was at 15% fat. I overworked it prior to stuffing it and I think the Budweiser was to blame! Too much liquid in the casing starts a boil that over cooks the "snags" :sad:

Oldyote
03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Ok. I'm ready

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/ricschaefer1/3c501da1-0bfb-4968-964e-8579d954b3b3_zps26941592.jpg

bigabyte
03-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Vegemite stew?

Titch
03-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Ok. I'm ready

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/ricschaefer1/3c501da1-0bfb-4968-964e-8579d954b3b3_zps26941592.jpg

Welcome to the
Connoisseur Club

buccaneer
03-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Desiccated coconut is a drying agent.

CharredApron
03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Desiccated coconut is a drying agent.
That is an essential agent to the Rendang, it helps absorb the liquids for a more succulent paste! Thanks for your advice Buccaneer!

Oldyote
03-24-2013, 08:52 AM
In a moment of weakness I drank the Coopers.

Hmmm - Vegemite.

bigabyte
03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Instead of Vegemite Stew, in the absence of liquid, you could go with Vegemite Salad.