PDA

View Full Version : Campfire smoker?

Marwendholt
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm going camping with some friends in two weeks to a very remote campground that is a bit of a haul from my house, and I want to smoke either a brisket or a butt but don't want to drag my smoker along.

So I have came up with an idea to make a disposable smoker out of aluminum pans and a rack that I can hand over the fire on my tripod using my grate to hold it. I would put some holes on the bottom pan to let smoke in, possibly put a small pan on the bottom upside down to diffuse the heat(see terrible drawing below), with the meat in on a rack above the upside down pan maybe a small water pan too.

Any thoughts as to whether this will work? Suggestions? Do ? have too much time on my hands?

iiiii_______________________
iii/iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiii\
i/iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimeat hereiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii\
/__________________________\
\iiiiiiiiiiiii________________iiiiiiiiiiiiii/
i\iiiiiiiii/iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii\iiiiii iiiii/
iii\__/______iiiiiiiiiiiiiii______\__/

Wampus
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not seeing great success with this idea. I'm thinking the smoke won't enter the pans as well as you're thinking it will.

If you have a tripod and a grate to hang from it....you could just work with that...treat it as a Santa Maria style cooker? You'll get the smoke and the heat....just a thought.

Do you have a Weber Kettle grill you could take?

code3rrt
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
To be honest, I really couldn't say from the drawing, but if you have 2 weeks, try a test run with a few country style ribs or a small butt and tweak it from there.

It would be a great treat for your friends if it works. Let us know how it turns out, and don't forget the pics!

Good luck,

KC

J'ville Grill
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Let us know how it works out for you. The wife and I camp a lot and different ways of cooking are the most fun part. I have taken my WSM with me on occasion as well as my Master Touch.

Marwendholt
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't have a webber kettle. I don't like using charcoal, I'm either wood or propane.

aawa
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Have you thought about possibly making a mini wsm? It is cheap to build, lightweight and portable and you could always use wood coals to smoke whatever you decide in the mini. I have used wood coals from my fireplace this weekend in my mini with great success.

jestridge
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Maybe something similar to this
http://www.kck.com/bbq/bbq/images/portargil.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=campfire+bbq&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=h2SiF_4deG6iAM&tbnid=JdLS9zyeD4XFPM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kck.com%2Fbbq%2Finfo%2Fkampfi re_grill.htm&ei=8yM-Udu9E6--2AXHzIG4DA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNFHvNTCgfZgVXPOdCjeMSReZPDSDQ&ust=1363113319821542)

Marwendholt
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
I want to go as cheap as possible, so I don't really want build a mini WSM.

Marwendholt
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Maybe something similar to this
http://www.kck.com/bbq/bbq/images/portargil.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=campfire+bbq&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=h2SiF_4deG6iAM&tbnid=JdLS9zyeD4XFPM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kck.com%2Fbbq%2Finfo%2Fkampfi re_grill.htm&ei=8yM-Udu9E6--2AXHzIG4DA&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNFHvNTCgfZgVXPOdCjeMSReZPDSDQ&ust=1363113319821542)

I already have a tripod with a grate, im just looking to build a little smoker i can hang over the fire on the grate.

Bludawg
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Since you have a Tripod ( that's what the wimen call me) I would dig a shallow fire pit maybe a foot deep and build a fire in it keep feeding it until it is full to the top with coals set your tripod over the pit your gonna need a hook (PBC Style) hang the brisket over the coals and wrap a cheap blue tarp around the tri pod leave about 6" clearance between the ground and the tarp for drafting and you can add wood chunks under the tarp.
This style of cooking is an ancient one used by igenius peoples all over the word. I have cooked venison & antelope this way on several occasions.

qnbiker
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Not exactly a smoker, but we cook briskets & butts in a dutch oven when camping. Use your tripod and hang it over the campfire.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
A brisket is not easy to cook under the best of circumstances. Looks to me like you are making things difficult for yourself.

ButtBurner
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
A brisket is not easy to cook under the best of circumstances. Looks to me like you are making things difficult for yourself.

I agree

I would shoot for a pork butt. Hard to mess those up

Beef
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
whatever you do, use hardwood, and not pine firewood that is common in campgrounds..

Hoss
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Just a thought.Precook whatever you want,cooler or freeze and warm it up using the campfire.:twitch: Your guests will thank you.:mod:Hey it beats potted meat and crackers.Good luck.

Muscrat
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I would cook it Mexican style!

In the ground.

Dig a hole about 18" deep and 3' in diameter. Fill the hole with wood. Once it's down to coals lay a sheet of sheet metal on top of and that has some bullet holes on it. Wrap the brisket in a wet burlap sat and set it on the metal. Then cover the whole with more metal and seal the edges with dirt. Shoot 3 holes in the top sheet and wait 8 hrs. Dig it up and you ready to eat one you let it rest a bit.

VoodoChild
03-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Perfect time to buy a Jumbo Joe !

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 07:50 AM
whatever you do, use hardwood, and not pine firewood that is common in campgrounds..

We don't use pine for anything. We have about 30 truck loads of oak, cherry, and hickory for heating the house, the shop, camping, and smoker fuel.

Ill add some background info, I have been camping my whole life, and I have cooked almost every way possible over a campfire. I don't like to buy things that I don't really need so I thought I would try to make a smoker out of some things I already have that could easily be put into my chuck box.

popeye
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Since you have a Tripod ( that's what the wimen call me) I would dig a shallow fire pit maybe a foot deep and build a fire in it keep feeding it until it is full to the top with coals set your tripod over the pit your gonna need a hook (PBC Style) hang the brisket over the coals and wrap a cheap blue tarp around the tri pod leave about 6" clearance between the ground and the tarp for drafting and you can add wood chunks under the tarp.
This style of cooking is an ancient one used by igenius peoples all over the word. I have cooked venison & antelope this way on several occasions.

i agree with bludawg. But invest in a good cast iron duch oven . Then when you are done you can make chilli. ... Works for me

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
i agree with bludawg. But invest in a good cast iron duch oven . Then when you are done you can make chilli. ... Works for me

I already have 2, but that's not really smoking.

JandJbuidasmoker
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I would just put an oversized aluminum pan over the meat on the tripod grate. That should trap enough smoke and heat. Then flip the pan back over and put your meat in it when finished! Multi-purpose. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll modify it throughout the cooking process if you've cooked over a fire before. I always do! Good luck!

Mdboatbum
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
This was my solution a few years ago. It worked out ok. Inside the "smoker" we had a charcoal fire on one side of the pirepit, and the ribs on the grate on the other side.
http://youtu.be/EHQDmFlj_uQ

morgaj1
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Not really sure if you want advice, as you seem to shoot down every idea presented. I think brisket is difficult on any smoker, much less a homemade smoker made from aluminum pans. But you seem convinced that it will work, so have at it :biggrin1:

luke duke
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Just cook it in advance and reheat it on the campfire. Or just cook some steaks.

JandJbuidasmoker
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
you can't go camping and reheat food over a wood fire... that's blasphemy!! Marwendholt, whatever you do, it will be great after, fishing, and drinking beer all day! lol

jestridge
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
if it over a open wood fire that smoking too me

code3rrt
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Don't get discouraged, heck, half the fun is trying to figure out how to do this sort of thing,even that aluminum foil "smoker" was pretty creative.

My only advice really is to try your idea at home first, sounds like you have time, and avert a disaster while out on the campout.

KC

JandJbuidasmoker
03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
+1 code3rrt

Bludawg
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Tell that to the Inuit people who smoke Salmon and Caribou like this to preserve it for the winter:fish: Say what you will but unless you try it like I have I wouldn't pass Judgement:cool:

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Tell that to the Inuit people who smoke Salmon and Caribou like this to preserve it for the winter:fish: Say what you will but unless you try it like I have I wouldn't pass Judgement:cool:

Ive done butts over the fire in a dutch oven, they taste like they came from a crock pot. The smoke can't get to them.

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
This was my solution a few years ago. It worked out ok. Inside the "smoker" we had a charcoal fire on one side of the pirepit, and the ribs on the grate on the other side.
http://youtu.be/EHQDmFlj_uQ

Awesome, i knew there had to be a few people on here with an inventive mind.

Bludawg
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Ive done butts over the fire in a dutch oven, they taste like they came from a crock pot. The smoke can't get to them.

:doh:Re-read this I never said anything about a Dutch Oven! Hang the meat from the chain on a hook! BBQ= heat+ meat+ fire & smoke.

Originally Posted by Bludawg
This style of cooking is an ancient one used by Indigenous peoples all over the word. I have cooked venison & antelope this way on several occasions.

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
:doh:Re-read this I never said anything about a Dutch Oven! Hang the meat from the chain on a hook! BBQ= heat+ meat+ fire & smoke.

Reread my quote I responded to a person below you who suggested the dutch ovens.

Bludawg
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I reckon I'm the one who got confused I need a Beer!

JandJbuidasmoker
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I'll join ya! I was cornfused just trying to decipher it all! lol

Marwendholt
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Can a moderator please just delete this thread?

HogFan
03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I would use the tripod and grate just as you planned directly over the fire (adjust temp by height of grate over the fire). Then just use your pan turned upside down over the meat on top of the grate. The smoke can enter inside the pan through the grate. The pan creates a smoke chamber (like the inside of a UDS) and helps hold a consistent temp on all sides of the meat. Worse case drill a hole in the pan and use an adjustable magnet to control the air outlet (and possibly help regulate the temp inside the "smoke chamber"). Easy and simple. Why do you need a bottom to the pan?

J-Rod
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Just take some Ball Parks along and call it a tuesday.

Mo-Dave
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Brisket would not be something I would do over an open campfire, not saying it can't be done. I have always wanted to try steaks placed directly on wood embers. How about a chicken hung from a string off to one side of the fire and give it a twist every so often so it rotates, this is how it was done way back when. Just make sure to pack some tube steaks.
Dave

Mo-Dave
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155948

Go to second page look for Phubars post, I think it is post # 23, anyway that is what I am talking about, just scaled down a bit.
Dave

popeye
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Reread my quote I responded to a person below you who suggested the dutch ovens.

i was that person .. and i do it that way.

mrboy
03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Ok, I've had my beer and have enough courage to enter the fray.

I'm combining Mdboatbum (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=30494) and Bludawgs ideas.

You've got the tripod set over the burned down embers of oak, hickory or cherry, meat on the grill grate. Wrap the tripod in aluminum foil (maybe double wrap), from just below the meat, up to the top, leaving a hole in the middle of the tee-pee for exhaust.

I think you've got a smoker.

Brizz
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Well now I'm inspired. I want to try out both these ideas. I've been building a camping smoker for this season but maybe I won't even need it...

Matt Potter
03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Don't know if you have access to one or not but a smoke jumpers burn over blanket would work perfect for wrapping the tripod with and you could reuse it.

Matt

K-JUN
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
I see lots of good ideas here. I think my favorite is the wrapped tripod method. I saw this online it's a disposable mylar thermal blanket. The cost works out to a little over a buck a piece.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QDc6A7NYL.jpg